US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks Aldo.  Great hearing from you again!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Just a small update.  Have gotten started on fabricating the remaining yards.  All have now been cut from round dowels, tapered according to the plans (using the drill as 'poor man's lathe) and several of the center sections made octagon in shape using thin wood strips which were cut and beveled to give 8 simulated 'sides'.

The method is not as elegant as I've seen from those of you who are able to start with square stock for your yards.  But it's my first shot and I am not displeased.

I will now be adding cleats then we'll stain everything to see where we stand before adding the glitter (blocks, iron bands and footropes).

post-56-0-42522300-1364860261_thumb.jpg

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nicely done!  I do prefer the poor mans drill lathe myself.  

Just catching up Augie... the yards are shaping up nicely.  Blisters go with the territory... :)   And for the next build, think about the darkside.  You can build whatever you want.  No need to find a kit that's been built a zillion times.. like Confed. <ducks><runs for cover>  Seriously, the "one of" is one of the things that got me hooked on scratchbuilding.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, Augie!

I agree with Mark. When a kit is (well) modified like you have done, it's time to think to the scratch building. You have made good yards, and when you stain the wood it will seem made in one only piece. Anyway, it isn't difficult to make an octagonal-shaped section. First, you can reduce the lateral portions of the yard. Then, you can sand the central area and so making a square-section. In the end, you can sand the four angles of the square-section, so having just an octagonal section. To be sure to have perfect surfaces, you can sand the wood on a sandpaper sheet lying on the table.

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

you've done it a hundred times already..........not happy with a kit part.......no problem,  I'll just make my own!  you've said it to yourself that many times as well.   you've no reason to think that you couldn't go either way.   those yard parts look very good.........you'll flesh them out well,  I'm sure :)

he said........Hey Honey.....

take a walk on the dark side......

an'  it goes like....

to........de to......to de to,  de to........to......de to........to de to,  de to.........alright!

{altered verse:  I'm sure you don't swing that way.......LOL!!!!}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Those yards look really nice Augie. I use my drill as well to taper my yards and masts and haven't been displeased with the results thus far. I do usually start with square stock when I can find it. Your yards are definitely going to accomplish the mission.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I somehow get the feeling of déjà vu looking at your log Augie! Oh yes - it was my log! :D. (Some might say déjà poo - the feeling you've seen this s@$# before :D :D :D )

Seriously though, nice work - looking forward to the bling.

Edited by gjdale

you've done it a hundred times already..........not happy with a kit part.......no problem,  I'll just make my own!  you've said it to yourself that many times as well.   you've no reason to think that you couldn't go either way.   those yard parts look very good.........you'll flesh them out well,  I'm sure :)

he said........Hey Honey.....

take a walk on the dark side......

an'  it goes like....

to........de to......to de to,  de to........to......de to........to de to,  de to.........alright!

{altered verse:  I'm sure you don't swing that way.......LOL!!!!}

Something remembers me Lou Reed ... "wild" or "dark" it is. :-)

your build is very nice, good work on the yards, im about 2500 hours from deciding what to do next

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Daniel, Robert, Popeye and Thomas.

Alex and Patrick have my permission to continue their quests to put square pegs in round holes or vice versa.  At this point I'm happy with illusions.  Speaking of which, immediately after I posted the photo I ran downstairs in panic to check the yards.  They are as straight as a carbon fiber arrow shaft but the photo shows a bit of a curve.  I suspect the old camera is contracting a case of spherical abberation.  Perhaps that's been my problem all along :D  :D  :D  :D .

GRANT -  I told you I already had the photo where my yards look like yours ------ without HMS Victory in the background :P  :P !!!!!  Maybe I'll put her on my 'To Do List'.

And lastly Kevin -  I saw your completion estimate over on your log.  Wow ----- and here I am breathing hard after only 1250 hours (which doesn't include the 2000 hours on MSW).  Hey - that Lady of yours deserves and shows every minute!

Gotta run and go make tiny things.......

MARK - Good luck with your upcoming difficulties with the Confederacy guys.  Why would anyone want a ship model that's already been built 9 times on the planet?  Why just the other day the Base Commander dragged me to a yard sale and there were 6 Agammemnons for sale :D  :D .  Remember I'm the R/C guy who builds them just like the photo on the box (ok, I do add an instrument panel and rivets).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

your build is very nice, good work on the yards, im about 2500 hours from deciding what to do next

Kevin... for some reason your numbers seem to be getting larger at an exponential rate.... you don't think you need to visit Dr. Per for shipaholic therapy do you? ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Really nice yards, Augie. Like you, I "know" that they should be made from square stock, but I continue to start with round and they come out just as good.

Bob

He Augie,

I've got some news for you…..I see a picture!

Great yards.

I aks Grant if I may have his yards, if you give me yours also, it save me a lot of work  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Kevin... for some reason your numbers seem to be getting larger at an exponential rate.... you don't think you need to visit Dr. Per for shipaholic therapy do you? ;)

Andy

oh yes please

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I'll send them over when they're done.  I need some copper wire....should I send you a penny :D  :D :D .  (Don't blame me...talk to Andy). 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

the front and back yards look real good Augie, what kind of grass did you use ? :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

MARK - Good luck with your upcoming difficulties with the Confederacy guys.  Why would anyone want a ship model that's already been built 9 times on the planet?  Why just the other day the Base Commander dragged me to a yard sale and there were 6 Agammemnons for sale :D  :D .  Remember I'm the R/C guy who builds them just like the photo on the box (ok, I do add an instrument panel and rivets).

Hmmmm - 9 times??  Chuck, RustyJ, ChrisLBren, Hollowneck and Me, Im not counting Andy as he hasnt started yet. Yep - I guess there is far too many Confederacy's floating around :P  Go and join the Victory crowd - theres only a couple of those! :D

ben

Edited by Trussben

Alex and Patrick have my permission to continue their quests to put square pegs in round holes or vice versa.  At this point I'm happy with illusions.  Speaking of which, immediately after I posted the photo I ran downstairs in panic to check the yards.  They are as straight as a carbon fiber arrow shaft but the photo shows a bit of a curve.  I suspect the old camera is contracting a case of spherical abberation.  Perhaps that's been my problem all along :D  :D  :D  :D .

Objects and shapes? Pegs and Holes? It's only matter of practice. I'm going to begin my job, I've just bought the proper instruments :-)

post-1226-0-99720000-1364923868.jpg

post-1226-0-77105300-1364923882_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-70292700-1364923891.jpg

Thanks, Alex.  If nothing else, the photos will keep Sjors happy for a day :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Good work Augie, those yards will do the job nicely.

Like you I only have dowel so will be doing the same,  hope I can get mine half as good as yours.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Going to need some pretty good sized dowels on the Aggie.  Hope you've got some good, straight stock Mobbsie.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Augie :D

I do not believe the Corel kit I recently purchased included any dowels for the masts. It is a large kit (L 32”, H 28”) like the Syren and I wonder if the solution to this problem is not using dowels but making them from stock. If I can quote Kevin “I’m about 2500 hours from deciding what to do”, so I have some time to consider how I plan to handle this.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

I think it's a matter of personal preference and skill level JP.  In my case I find it a lot easier to find good quality hardwood dowels then it is to find hardwood square stock that's true.  At least locally.  The bottom line is what makes you happy and how it comes out in the end.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Augie :D

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the warping. I know the dowels are really only available in certain types of wood.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

I have a couple of places where I can get dowels from.   but this might be a good remedy.......I am surprised that your kit didn't have any dowels in it JP.   a big problem I see with billing's kits {perhaps others as well},  is that there is no real way of telling the raw dowels apart in the kit........they are not labled.   I find it rather confusing.   it would probqably be best to purchase the different size dowels you'd need,  and go from there.   if your plans a 1:1.......you got it made!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ahoy Popeye

In the interest of acurate reporting I pulled down the kit and went through the wood. I stand corrected. The wood I originally thought was for the masts is not. I found some dowels hiding in the bottom of the wood box. Well I guess i just saved myself hundreds of hours and talked myself out of that lathe :(

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett