Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I'm glad John made the two comments that he did.  To my eye there was something going on between the red and blue pins.  I also second his motion to give it one good last look from the front.  It's a matter of look and feel.  Can't really describe it.  

Dan makes a good point on the garboard......not only the width, but the length up near the bow.

Fair winds, my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Dan,

I'm absorbing all I can.... Your post is big help.  I rechecked the Belle Poule and La Venus monographs as they have the same planking style as Licorne.   The pics show the re-positioned (this morning) batten.  Not much from the red pin back but definitely moreso at the bow. 

My dead flat and the widest frame is frame 20 (black arrow in full length picture below). The batten at that point is 41 mm which is 8 planks wide.  I examined the planking schemes and did some rough measurements from the plans and moved the bow piece towards the wale.  This flattened the plank out so there's not a nasty twist/bend in it. It's 17.5 mm.   I measured the last strern frame and I get 37 mm.  The area between the batten and wales is for the wider planks of 5/32" (5mm).

For reference, the dead flat frame dimension from keel to wale is 129mm, first frame forward is 80 mm and last frame is 123 mm

These plans also show that the fore part of the garboard doesn't taper down like an English ship but goes up.  I need to double check this as could just be a drawing distortion. (see the red line).  Nor does it appear that they used a broad strake next to the garboard (which was wide) but a wide stealer near the stern. <scratches head> The other oddball (to me) thing is that the planks are not uniform in width at the midsection for those but the NMM cross-section plan for Licorne is.  

I'll give the tape method a shot and see what it does... sounds like a good idea.

post-76-0-33592900-1431449110_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-14814100-1431449125_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-71358000-1431449146_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - 

Looks much better to my eye.  Should fit well once you set the rest of your battens.

As for exact plank widths and numbers, don't tie yourself to exact dimensions, they really can't be calculated.  There is what I call the 3-dimensional problem.  The widths you have measured are for the faces of the ribs.  The planks have a definite thickness, so where they cover a convex surface the inside corners hit each other before the outer ones do, creating an unsightly gap.  This is even more of a problem with French designs that have those large bulges at the waterline.  

post-3092-0-50174600-1431452474_thumb.jpg

To get a tight fit at the outer surface the solution is to bevel the edges of the planks, but then the inside width of the plank is less than the outer width, and no longer matches the measured dimensions.  You can start with wider planks, but the variation changes depending on the curvature that is being covered.  This changes from wale to keel and even along the length of one plank strake.

My solution, which is just one of several that works, is to plank up from the keel and down from the wale at the same time. As you near the center all of the dimensions are recalculated after each plank strake is added.  Eventually you reach a space that can be closed in by one or two final "shutter planks" that should look almost identical to those on either side.

Practice on the tape and take your time.  It will come together in a planking job that you will be proud of.  You are making a very good start.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

Dan,

That is a good point I didn't think of.  With the thicker timbers it will probably be more apparent.  I'm going to line out the area between the wales and the batten and work on that area... then drop a batten between the wide planks and garboard since those (except for the garboard) are all the same width.  So by doing the thicker planks first, I should be able to get a better idea on the narrow planks, I'm thinking.

Plus I've got some fiddly things to clean up caused by naïveté on my part.  The rabbet needs attention where it goes to almost vertical (the dreaded bevel) at the bow and stern along with some frames that aren't faired quite right.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm just a little confused about the planking over the curve of the frames. If you mark off where each plank goes on the frames, and between the marks is the width of the plank, then bevel the inside edges of the planks to accommodate the curve of the frames, leaving the outside edge un-touched, there wouldn't be any gap between them if you follow the marks, right? 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi George - 

The problem is one of measurement.  The thickness of the planking means that the distance around the curve on the outer surface of the planks is longer than the curve on the inner surface of the planks.  If you measure your distances on the surface of the rib and divide by the number of planks, you will get a dimension that is smaller than you need to fill up the distance around the curve on the surface of the planks. When you bevel the edges to bring the planks together at the surface, they will no longer cover the full distance that you measured on the rib. 

To put in some numbers, let's say that the distance on the rib from wale to batten is 40mm.  I decide to fill it with 8 plank of 5mm each.  I cut the planks to that dimension and lay them in the space.  I bevel the edges, which means the inside width of the plank is less than 5mm.  Let's say that it is now 4.8mm. The 8 planks now cover only 38.4mm.  There is a gap of 1.6mm.  This would not be much of a problem if I was planking a cylinder, I could just add an extra plank as needed.  But the uneven shape of the hull means that the gap will vary and therefore the line of the caulking seam will wander up and down, and the shape of the space still to be planked will no longer match the battens that were so carefully lined up. 

Does that make sense?

Dan

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

Dan,

Thanks, however ..., your explanation brings up the following in my thoughts: If you know the required width at the rib, you should use a slightly oversized plank - width wise - taking into account the thickness to get the needed overlap to bevel it so the inner side matches the width at the rib. At least that would be logical to me ... but hey, I'm no ship builder or carpenter - luckily ;-)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I understand that concept of it, where the farther out away from the frame you get, the wider the plank might need to be on the outside, to close the gap. But it seems like beveling the edge, would also close that gap. I don't know, but all that just seems more complicated than it needs to be. Maybe making the marks just a hair smaller to begin with?

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Carl, George - 

You are both right.  Spiling/planking is a complicated process.  Even after doing it for 30 years I still have to take my time and agonize over the process. Sometimes planks that I thought were correct have to be stripped out and replaced.

The problem is the shape of the hull with its compound curves, some of which change from convex to concave on the same rib and along the same planking strake.  Yes, you can start with planks that are slightly wider than your measured marks, which works on the convex curves, but is wrong for the concave curves.  

My only point here is that you can't rely on measurements, no matter how precise.  To get a smooth, straight, fair run for each strake the measurements are just the starting point.  Each plank has to be shaped by eye and the battens used as adjustable guides, not inflexible borders. 

Fortunately, I had some good teachers, and now there is this entire wonderful community of modelers in the NRG and on MSW who are so generous with their time and knowledge.

Be well

Dan

Perhaps I am missing something in what Dan suggested about the planking width and starting at both top and bottom and see how it turns out when they meet.

It would seem to me (and that worked for me) that after dividing the sections with the battens, you measure the distance between the battens along the outside (not along the frames). Then you can calculate how wide the planks should be before they are beveled, etc. If any adjustments need to be made it is easier to do that with the last three or four planks as you work down towards the batten. You could even make minor adjustments to the location of the battens (up or down).

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

I'm no expert here on this.  I think your both on the same or similar pages....  On this first area, I'm working towards the batten. If I end up short, that's fine as these planks are wider than the rest of the planking.  Luckily, I have extra wood, isopropyl, and patience.  I just hope I don't have to rip it all off... :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Jay - 

I don't think that you are missing anything, and it is probably my failure to explain properly in any case.  We are both doing similar things to get a good result.  You are planking in one direction towards a batten, while I plank in both directions towards a center.  Like many tasks in ship model building, there are several ways to solve any particular problem.  All of them are right, so long as the result is good.  I looked at the log of your Connie build and you are clearly getting good results.  Stick to what works for you.

Be well

Dan

Hi Mark,

I afraid I am going to be no help to at all regarding the planking mate but I'm sure you will come up with a solution that suits.

Just don't overthink it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I am just going to sit here in silence and look on with stunned glee.

Just so tight and "cool" looking - almost a shame to plank up that art, but am sure it will be even more artful! =) (is that a word, I dunno.. heck, it is now!!!)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the likes, the conversation, and the comments.

I'm slowly progressing on the planking even though several things have got in the way... It may get worse now that the new "toy" is here.  :)   But I will do my testing using Licorne related items so some good will come out of it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You do nice work Mark, so don't sweat  it..... it's just a model!  :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

This latest project has, for me at least, a learning curve that is straight, vertical line.   Much like scratch building.  :D  :D :D   Thanks for bearing with me. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Mark    I know first hand how much you can agonize when doing the spiling.  It's important to do it right if the run of the planking is to have that proper look.  Believe me when I say I feel your pain.  As I read the posts on your build log I'm struck with how sage like Dan (shipmodel) is when he says that the measurement between strakes and battens, while important, are just a starting point.  Battens are continually adjustable guides and not rigid inflexable borders.  Furthermore he said trust your eyes in conjunction with the battens.  He gives GOOD advise.  Doing this work, to some extent, is feel.  I always found I had to play around with the tape a good deal to get through this process and have it look right.  Stay with it friend, you'll find the answer.

Tom

Thanks all.   At this point, one more row of planks, some sanding the "wide" strakes will be done.  I'll do some sanding since it's pretty rough and then some pictures.   Soon I hope.

I'm having a headache with where the planks roll and twist to land on the counter.  If I can get the area to look right to my eyes, I'll be thrilled.   I think I have it figured out....   I just need to do it.   Now if life would stop getting in the way, I could make some real progress.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

your framework looks so good a base for planking up, must be real fun to see the run of plank to plank. Presume you will be single layer planking, that is fine, will be looking out for your next pics.

I love the lines of "Licorne", looking very harmonic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mark: sorry that I'm late in on this conversation. Read the three tutorials on lining out and spiling on this site before you go too far. Under 'Building, framing, planking and plating...."

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv