Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale - POF

She looks like she is just waiting for the tide to come in and float her off. Great pics

Hi Michael. That's one unbelievable build you've got there. I definitely echo the words of all the others...great pics, great event and what a wonderful way to get kids away from the computer and into model building. Also, I'm with Sven. It's almost as if all you need is to paint a weathered waterline and then the ship would be complete; with it's own charm and character; as if it's been a working boat all it's life.

This is going to be one hell of an impressive site on the water, irrespective of whether you put RC gear in it, or just make it a free sailer. Can't wait for the pics.

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you all for you kind remarks and likes.

"To see her on the shore looks so authentic. The primer and paint patches only adds to that! Almost a shame to paint her!"

Sven, Don't think I didn't think about it.

"what a wonderful way to get kids away from the computer and into model building. Also, I'm with Sven. It's almost as if all you need is to paint a weathered waterline and then the ship would be complete;"

Omega, getting the kids to work on the boats was easy they seemed to understand the need to use their hands in a creative way.

I had a bit of spare time this evening after a nap, so decided to give Walter a hand preparing for the final painting of the hull.

post-202-0-98079400-1404714978_thumb.jpg

I was quite surprised by how long it took to remove everything, it was over an hour and a half, and i had to put my thinking cap back on to remember the sequences of a couple of items especially at the stem.

here are a couple of containers of parts.

post-202-0-45423300-1404714977_thumb.jpg

Almost ready for some light sanding, then to paint.

post-202-0-71137100-1404714975_thumb.jpg

I an definitly leaning toward a dark hull like these

here is a link to Classic Sailing

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

Firstly, for heaven's sake put those containers of parts away in a cupboard somewhere before you bump them and knock them off the bench! :o

Go for the dark hull if you want a traditional look and white if you want a yacht.  Many traditional working craft in the U.K. had their hulls painted with tar as it was both cheap and a good preservative.

John

It is you call. I would prefer a light hull so she could be seen easy and to be able to show off my handiwork.

David B

Hi Michael, I am with all of the above go with the dark hull

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-29082600-1404830712_thumb.jpg

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Good morning all.

Thanks for the information regarding the tar John which would account for the dark look in the historic photographs.

Bedford, and David, your opposite preferences regarding the colour echo my own conflict, it is one of those decisions that I have been putting off for a long time for this very reason.

There are two particular cutters that I really like the look of and they are opposite colours  this one and this one

When one looks at the images for pilot cutters in Google I notice that the contrast between the dark hulls and the sails is much more apparent that the white hulls which is natural I suppose.

This leads to the issue of final display, and this of course is a whole different ball game, I don't think that Judy will want this model filling up half the living room with a full suit of sails raised. The shop will be out of the question. due to more modelwork needing the space.

Hmmm

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I'll wait to see what color you choose.  But it looks like you're going to have to build a boat shed / show room to store this cutter and Maria. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

It's your choice Michael but white/off white is the colour of gelcoat. You haven't done gelcoat, have you.  :)

I personally favour a dark hull with maybe a bit of contrast trim.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Michael,

If you want to have a model of a working pilot cutter, then I'd go with the dark hull (black or perhaps dark blue); if you want her as a yacht (perhaps after her working life) then white might be ok. Having sailed on one years ago, which still retained her black hull, I'd go with the former. Incidentally, many of the owners of these craft still like to keep their boat's working look, and in many cases their old number, as they are historic craft.

It might be worth pointing out that the Jolie Brise, a former French cutter from 1913, also has a black hull. I agree with the comment that you can relieve the colour somewhat with a contrasting line. 

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

been out of the loop for a bit.......my, she sure has gone places! loved the sight of her in your living room.......loved the sight of her on the beach. as for her display when finished.....I have an idea for you. it is a bit of work.....but it will lead to a great conversation piece. you could cut out a large display area out of a wall {much like installing a bay window}. paper the wall in a beautiful nautical mural with recessed lighting in the ceiling, and then wall it off with a sliding glass door. sounds like a huge endeavor...and crazy to boot....but she's a beauty Michael, and well worth the effort! other than resorting to building an addition on your home......the next best thing would be a museum.......all this is worthy of your talent ;)

dark or light.......it will be a treat to see her in color! I wish I had the experience to build something that big! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

All I can say is that when I openned the first pic, the dark hull, it had a presence and a wow factor, the second pic with the white hull just didn't.

Then again I am of the old school, she would have been dark when she was young so that is the way I would have her.

Thank you all for your considered comments regarding the colour and for all the likes.

Preparations are underway for the final painting, I purchased some masking tape for delicate and fresh paint surfaces. I set the roll up on the lathe and created a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch division in order to deal with the soft curve.

The water line was set with the laser light beam then cross checked with a pencil attached to a scribing block.

post-202-0-72849200-1405053240_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-63586400-1405053243_thumb.jpg

The tape went on well and tomorrow I will finish the light sanding and if there is no wind I will start the painting.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Very nice Michael, I can't wait to see her painted

Best Regards,

pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Can't wait,

Afraid you will have to wait just a little longer John, and Pete too.

Bottom coat done

post-202-0-18200300-1405096519_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49531000-1405096521_thumb.jpg

One thing I learned as a professional model-builder making architectural models is that it is best to remove all masking as soon as is possible while the paint is still soft but flashed off.

post-202-0-09204600-1405096580_thumb.jpg

Tonight I will mask the bottom and work on the areas above the waterline. Also this evening I will visit the paint store one last time for the top paint, because I am still not fully convinced that I have the right colour.

Michael

One thing I learned as a professional model-builder making architectural models is that it is best to remove all masking as soon as is possible while the paint is still soft but flashed off.

I will Wait, ( I dont have a choice ) Great tip on the masking tape

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thanks for all the likes and comments, getting close to decision time.

post-202-0-22325500-1405119146_thumb.jpg

I will ponder this as I do the final prep for the paint, I need to do a little tweaking on the bottom side of the cap rail.

Michael

Thank you one and all for your thoughts and input regarding the colour.

I will add the white waterline when the red and Black are hard.

post-202-0-85872900-1405190831_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-20050300-1405190825_thumb.jpg

Michael

Michael,

Now she's looking like a real working boat. Good job. Will the deck line will be longer and continuous? :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Kester the white spaces that form the scuppers of course also form the deck line, i had not thought about that to be honest, but now that you mention it i will nave to ponder it as well. Hmm more research

Michael