Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale - POF

Thank you for the likes.

Pete, I am melting a few weights every day now, and so far I am up to 25lbs.

Steve you are probably right, Apart from the Skipjack launch I am already thinking about the next cutter.

post-202-0-51910300-1405727166_thumb.jpg

I felt like getting the trolly finished so worked on it today, it looks a little whimsical but I like the ergonomics of it.

post-202-0-56782200-1405727152_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-51347500-1405727156_thumb.jpg

it is a good height for moving to the water.

post-202-0-93139500-1405727163_thumb.jpg

Now it just needs a coat of paint. and it will be ready for the cutter's next ballast test.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Might I make a suggestion. The cradle on the trolley will easily allow the cutter to float off but when it comes to recovering her you are going to have a struggle locating the keel back in its slot. I would put longitudial v blocks the length of the cradle to help guide the keel home.

Thank you Brian.

Steve:  the getting her back on is the least of my concerns at the moment, it just occurred to me this morning that the whole configuration is daft because I have not accounted for the rigging which includes a bowsprit and bobstay, even if the bowsprit were housed. 

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thank you to all of you who added likes

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

wonderful looking trolley Michael,

very well thouight through...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

David a lift gate, can you elaborate?

Nils, thanks but I needed to rework the handle to accommodate the bowsprit.

Today I oiled the deck and fitted the main bowsprit hardware.

post-202-0-15142000-1405824586_thumb.jpg

Then reworked the handle.

post-202-0-09150200-1405824589_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35335200-1405824582_thumb.jpg

Next I will add some guides for the hull to find the keel track. then give it a coat of paint

Michael

Michael, a lift gate is used on trucks to remove heavy loads from the truck to the ground and visa versa.  Basically it is a platform that uses hydraulics to raise and lower itself.  Many cube vans use them.  Saves the back from unwanted stress.

David B

Omega thanks, I am really pleased with the colour of the deck.

David, Now I understand thanks.

Michael

Michael....the trailer looks great! the Bristol is looking great.....love that picture of the deck! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Michael, The Deck looks Beautiful. Your Cutter sure looks great

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Don't you hate that, you put all that effort into making a beautiful handle for the trolley then realise you overlooked something crucial. I've done that a few times on my build.

The deck does look brilliant, love it !

Hi Michael -

On vacation for a few weeks and look at all your progress.  She looks great in those colors, and should be even more striking with the white waterline and sheer stripes.  Will you be hand painting them or using striping tape?  I never can do it by hand so the tape has come in very handy, but I work at much smaller scales, so it may not translate to your work.

The deck really pops with its first coat of finish, and all the work and thought that went into the ballast and trolley are inspiring.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Micheal,

I asume you will be Radio Controlling the cutter, what equipment will go inside the hull if so ?

Number of servo Units, one for rudder one for winch (common sail sheet), or more sofisticated ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking model and highest level of craftsmanship.
On water she looks just perfect. You are very skillful, dear Michael.
Have a great time and take care

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hi Michael,

I am just catching up after a few weeks away. It is looking great! When I read about the amount of ballast in an 18th century ship of the line, It did not seem possible. But now we see it at scale in your project, and it seems more likely!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

I love her. When's the maiden voyage planned? Decided on a crew ..?

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your wonderful encouraging comments, and for the likes.

Since it was cold and snowing most of the day I started tidying up the shop I started at the pilot cutter bench which had been used for a while as a wide shelf while the cutter was on the launch trolley.

I cleaned and used some past floor wax on the bench then polished it up. After putting the cutter back up on the bench I decided I needed to make a different stand. so made a start on it.

It is more like a cradle that might be constructed in a yard than a fancy stand, I think it will be more effective and more solid, there will be some adjustable pads to seat against the hull. The stern cradle parts are the first ones, depending on the weather I might have a full day at the yard tomorrow

post-202-0-98240300-1410325389_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-36350700-1410325394_thumb.jpg

It was nice to get her up on the bench again.

Michael

Thanks John, The great thing is that I will be able to get her ready for the spring, I know how she looks in the water and what is needed to bring her down to the line. I can now concentrate on all the areas that were started and not completed like the detail of the seizing on the other three shrouds, and so on. there is a lot of work to complete all the details in the rigging, the deck furniture running lights, I'm still stuck on the finish on the sides of the cabin, the top will be like the deck it is the sides that I am ruminating on, I am leaning toward painting them white.

Yes winter is just around the corner, so it is great gearing up for the final push to get her finished.

Michael

"Yes winter is just around the corner,..."

What! It is still summer here in the Northern Hemisphere. Snow in summer is just unreal. How far north are you Michael?

Thanks one and all for following along.

Our snow here is minor compared to what is happening in Calgary, I just got off the phone with my son in Calgary it has damaged a great many large old trees in that city.

Tom I live just above the 54th parallel which is about the middle of the Province of Alberta and 3 hours east of the Rocky Mountains.

It is raining so I am off to work on the cutter. I hope to get the cradle finished today.

Michael

Yes, just as I said.  Winter with the cutter and summer on the water with Maria.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I asume you will be Radio Controlling the cutter, what equipment will go inside the hull if so ?

Number of servo Units, one for rudder one for winch (common sail sheet), or more sofisticated ?

Nils sorry I missed answering your question.  I have almost made up my mind to leave the cutter as a free sailing boat.

Set the sails and rudder and let her go.

Winter with the cutter and summer on the water with Maria.

Bob you nailed it.

Today was still cold it did get up to 5 degrees and the sun was shining for a bit this afternoon.

the new support cradle is refining up nicely, I made some 3/4 inch bolts with square nuts to begin assembling the structure the thread size is 3x48 the nuts were made by milling up a strip of 1/16 brass to .156 or 5/32 wide, then drilling a series of holes  tapping them and then cutting then off the strip with a jewelers saw. doing a final clean up with a file.

The first picture shows the more simple configuration with opposing verticals rather than pairs on both sides. the bottom timber is clear fir and 8 1/2 wide by 10 inches high the uprights are pine and are 6 inches x 2 inches these are full dimensions. there will be a further timber partnered next to the upright 6 x 2 closest to the camera this will have the swiveling pad that will be adjusted to fit up against the hull.

post-202-0-38146500-1410414765_thumb.jpg

The second shows the bolts and the position at the stern

post-202-0-69770900-1410414775_thumb.jpg

looking from the stern

post-202-0-89465600-1410414742_thumb.jpg

Michael