Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Owen very nice model, do you have pictures of the build? What plans did you use?

very nice work on the sails as well.

This reminds me, that I really need to get some work done on the cutter as well as my other little distraction.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I've no idea how I'd managed to miss so much progress on this truly phenomal model. Her sheer size really comes to the fore in the picture where you're holding her - Utterly gobsmacked doesn't even come close!!

Absolutely love the shipping cradle - I very nearly had to build something similar for my last 'full size' yacht when weather restrictions made it increasingly more likely that we wouldn't be able to return to her homeport where our yard kindly stored (to their vast financial benefit!) our galvanised steel cradle. The only difference between your design & mine was that I also included some fore & aft diagonal bracing running from near the top of each hull support to the base of its fwd/aft corresponding support.

In terms of finishing the cabin sides and cockpit I think it would be a great pity to hide the hardwood grain - I can't remember whether or not you used mahogany or something similar but I can recommend something called 'Danish Oil'. Over in the UK it's typically used for treating hardwood kitchen worktops and depending on how it's applied the finish can range from matt to deep gloss. It certainly gives a hard wearing finish - I even 'experimented' with it on a conservatory floor which was planked in 21mm solid oak. I assumed it would be a short term trial but after 3 years it was just beginning to require a further light coat. Food for thought if nothing else...

Free sailing model?  I'd be absolutely terrified!! I seem to recall that you installed the where-with-all to fit a servo and linkage for the rudder and as your local lake seems to be a reasonable size I'd urge you to at least consider the steering!!

Michael. she really does look beautiful. Nobody could fault a single aspect of your workmanship. Me? I'm just insanely jealous of your skillset!!

I look forward to seeing how she progresses.

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Hello Michael,

She is scratch built plank on bulkhead ,mahogany planking 8 x 3, After sanding and finishing the hull I applied a layer of tissue fibre glass, then polished with 1500 water paper and then buffing compound. The deck housing accommodates the radio control servo winch for the sails 1:1 for the fore sail and 1:3 disadvantage for the main sail then a second servo for the rudder.

Hoping to launch finally at the club in a month or two, the detail is never ending as I am sure you are well aware of.

Kind regards

Owen

post-11679-0-28169800-1416920739_thumb.jpg

post-11679-0-75088700-1416920758_thumb.jpg

post-11679-0-54388100-1416920787_thumb.jpg

post-11679-0-93102600-1416920828_thumb.jpg

Row thanks for you very kind remarks, regarding the cabin sides the part that I am concerned about is the pine sides that are dovetailed, the cabin doors which are mahogany would remain as bright work as would the cockpit.

Regarding the free sailing, there is a fairly large area that is designated and roped off for swimming and at the appropriate times it would be a good place to sail her, the depth is also Ok and the bottom is smooth and sandyish there.

Owen very nice work on the model, what did you do to achieve the caulking on the decks?

Thanks to all for the likes.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

• 1 month later...

Thanks Medic, I appreciate the comment. which reminds me i really must do a little work on her instead of just gazing at her across the bench.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Maguinilla,

Please use English as this is an English forum. If you need translation, there is Google Translation.

Por favor, use Inglés ya que este es un foro Inglés. Si necesita traducción, existe Google Traductor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Thank you for your instruction, I did anticipate it coming.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Lawrence.

Thanks for you kind words.

The tiny machine screws can be had at this site or you can make them if you have a small die. and some hex brass or even round brass to make cheese heat or round head.

it is also possible to fake the look of very small wood screws even smaller than what you can buy, by using a jewelers saw and with the finest blade make a slot in the top of a fine brass pin, or like this one in a tiny flat head rivet from the scale hardware suppliers like this one.

post-202-0-62313400-1424619137_thumb.jpg

Lee valley carry the very small wood screws.

Michael

• 1 month later...

I sank on my maiden voyage, she went over in a squall and that was that, the fellow club members suggest that I bolt on a drop torpedo type keel when sailing on the lake. It just appears that the ballets in in sufficient, yet she lies beautifully on the water line, when pushing her over manually she rights perfectly, but o so disappointing on the lake.

post-11679-0-80022200-1427466639_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well finally the cutter is back in the foreground of my mind, I have moved the boat into the house and have set up to work on her over the winter.

The first task was to deal with the cabin which was bothering me.

post-202-0-32770200-1445987622_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-24172500-1445987623_thumb.jpg

so now I can think about finishing the side walls.

Michael

Thanks for your patience. my last posting was a little rushed as I had to nip into town with Judy before the stores closed.

By bringing the boat into the house it will stay in a more consistent temperature because the house heating is controlled by thermostats and the workshop is up and down in the winter months because i use a wood-stove out there.

My thoughts are to add a light to the lower portion of the cut down cabin. I think a classic angled light that is similar to the one in this picture

Also I am going to work the sides of the cabin in Mahogany with a couple of opening portholes.

Michael

Hi Michael,

sounds like we shall be seeing quite some fine Wood- and metalwork out of your Workshop...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great to see the cutter again, really looking forward to progress on her

Chippy? Patrick, Nils, Steve, and Grant, thank you for your encouragement, Thanks to all who added a like.

Today I painted the posts and knees for the winch, I used some "Polly Scale" model railroad  Reefer White, it has a nice dull sheen to it not quite flat and not gloss. I left the side that the chain winds on plain wood, it will get some linseed oil on it a little later.

post-202-0-22375500-1446082811_thumb.jpg

I have also begun re assembling other pieces of critical hardware in order to put the mast back up. After a year I am having to do a little deep remembering..... you know how that goes. I am struggling with the issue of do I colour the brass or leave it brass. I am tempted to mostly just let it naturally tarnish, with those elements that would normally remain bright because of their normal use.

post-202-0-16235600-1446082810_thumb.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry I also embarked on an organizing journey of 3 1/2 years of pictures of this build and set up some new categories for the folders, so instead of them being in just date order folders I am grouping the photographs into the relevant areas of the construction elements.

A few of the folders for instance; Blocks, Frames,decks, mast and spars, painting, etc once they are relocated into the general categories it will be much easier to find specific images instead of searching through the dates.... did I make that in May 2013 or was it Feb of 2014 if you get my drift.

Michael

It is a great pleasure to know you back on pilot's workshop! - all the more as this workshop is so very inspiring concerning my own work - thanks Michael!

All the best,

Mike

Edited by mikegerber

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

very nice Progress Michael,

I would also leave the brass as is..., perhaps a clear varnish over it for protection only

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike, Nils, Druxey, and John thanks for the positive feedback, and another thank you for all who added a like.

I spent a fair bit of time today looking for the gaff crane to fix to the mast before setting it up, went through all the possible hiding places all the bins and containers that I had stored various parts. Then it dawned on me that it was attached to the gaff with the halliard shackle and blocks.

I needed to rearrange the room a little and removed the sewing machine brought in the rolling base from the shop after changing the top for a slightly smaller one.

post-202-0-08717400-1446156790_thumb.jpg

It is a good job that our ceilings are all ten feet.

post-202-0-40499100-1446156791_thumb.jpg

Fiddling with the shrouds for the bowsprit seemed to take forever.

post-202-0-36796400-1446156789_thumb.jpg

Now she is beginning to look like a cutter again.

post-202-0-86825500-1446156790_thumb.jpg

Michael

Marvelous work Michael and good seeing you again at the bench.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

It's nice to see the cutter back "on the bench", Michael.  I'm looking forward to what follows.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)