Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Druxey There ya go

attachicon.gifIMG_3053x800.jpg

Kieth I am glad that you can use the saw blade trick.

Mark Thanks

And than you all for the likes.

Michael,

what lovely hinges together with the woodwork, it must be real pleasure for you to do These Details in such a fine precision

Well done !

Nils

I was not very happy actually with the set of four new hinges so today I began a third set, this time I did not anneal the brass but bent it cold, and scaled up just a little by using a 1/16th end mill. The picture shows a steel rod acting as a bit of a drill to clean up the holes after the milling

attachicon.gifIMG_3043x800.jpg

The next picture shows the new hinge made today next to the slightly smaller earlier one. the new one looks a lot tidier to me

attachicon.gifIMG_3052x800.jpg

Set up in the companionway.

attachicon.gifIMG_3057x3057.jpg

I added some small bevels to the door frame. tomorrow I will finish the second set for the other door.

Michael

attachicon.gifIMG_3058x800.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you everyone for the positive comments and for the likes.

I was hoping he'd do a couple of robertsons.... just for badness

Well as it turned out Andy, Walter was short on a couple of screws so rummaging around the odd screw bin he found a couple of 0ld Robertsons  for all the Canadians in the crowd

post-202-0-85069300-1397329474_thumb.jpg

These were really hard to make, I used some Sig copper rivets and swedged the square hole with a ground punch made from a broken 1/8th shank number 73 drill.

The scrap metal bin just gained a few oz.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Druxey I have to draw the line __________________________________________ Not that I didn't try though;>))

Andy I thought you would approve.

Mark, I shall think on it for sure.

Greg Thanks,have you seen the film Grumpy Old Men, the sardine would make my wife a grumpy person:>D

Geoff, Thanks, I have not seen the book you mention I shall have a look for it, I am familiar with the Pilot Cutter Marguerite though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

the hinges came out very good.......sweet job! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Michael -

I go away for a week and look what progress you have made.  Really nice hinges and doors.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Utterly stunning work.

Just to play 'devils advocate' for a moment, wouldn't stainless steel be a better hinge pin material - I'd hate to see rust marks appearing on that beautiful woodwork!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Thanks for all the likes.

Denis Thanks.

Dan, I just cannot wait for you to be around;>))

Row, thanks, and yes the stainless has already crossed my mind I will be looking for some, that or some bronze.

Michael

Just been catching up on your build Michael as I hadn't checked in for a while. What a truly outstanding build you have here. I just love those scale hinges!

Also, your new photo looks great too! You look like a man of the sea!

Tom

I guess us follically challenged men need all the help we can get to stay warm during the winter months!!

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Amazing work Michael . Fantastic detail, This is one beautiful boat, and a great build log

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Grant, Tom, Row, Pete and Edwin, Thanks for the kind words and for all the likes. I have not had a lot of time in the shop the last couple of days and tomorrow I will be taking a few days up at Jasper Park Lodge for the Alberta Libraries Conference. Will bring back pics of the mountains. I hope to catch up on some reading about sail making because that aspect is beginning to loom large (sorry Bob) and I need to learn quite a few things. I am sitting hear drooling over the cover photo of the August 2009 issue of Wooden Boat magazine The image of a Gill Smith look-a-like by Lance Lee some absolutely seductive lines on a boat if ever there was some.

I have almost finished the second pair of hinges and have been taking a lot of pictures. I will be posting a step by step set in the metalwork area. This method of making hinges can apply to a lot of different hinge shapes. I will also detail the small countersink that I needed to make for them.

Michael

I hope to catch up on some reading about sail making because that aspect is beginning to loom large (sorry Bob) and I need to learn quite a few things.

Michael

You're weaving them yourself ?  I think that would be a first for MSW.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

You're weaving them yourself ?

Made me laugh Bob

Now off to Jasper back in a few days.

Michael

Had to do it.

Have fun in Jasper.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 weeks later...

A set of tiny cleats on Kieth's build log intrigued me regarding how difficult would it be to make a couple for the pilot cutter.

The first task is choosing the right approach, I prefer to have a large enough piece of material that I can hold it in my hand while using files because I can feel the work being done.

I started by cutting a 5mm strip off the end of a strip of boxwood that was extra from the block making

post-202-0-26586700-1399773228_thumb.jpg

The first cleat vanished as the saw completed the cut through the wood and I knew that it would be faster to make another than the futile endeavor to look for the one that took off. This first one was made by working the bottom sides first, then partially shaping the topside before cutting it off the bulk

post-202-0-16187600-1399773229_thumb.jpg

On to version 2, this one I began in the more conventional way of shaping the top first using a rectangular needle file with a squared safe edge, the safe edge is very useful and I put it on the one side with a sharpening stone.

post-202-0-95474900-1399773229_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-86387300-1399773230_thumb.jpg

I clamped a small wooden clamp on the end so that when the saw cut off the cleat from the main block it was captive for the next operation.

post-202-0-79050300-1399773231_thumb.jpg

Here the small cleat is next to the hinge on the companionway door for size comparison in scale this cleat would be 1.5 inches long by 3/8ths wide

post-202-0-82398100-1399773232_thumb.jpg

and next to the 10 inch brass cleat on the deck.

post-202-0-00818400-1399773235_thumb.jpg

Michael

John I will get around to some brass ones probably some form of jam cleat.

I was tired of the beard so shaved it off on Tuesday, it was beginning to get too warm, now that spring is finally here. I have also started to experiment with some miniature seascape watercolours.

When I get the sea looking decent I will start adding some boats.

Michael