Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

I started my new vocation today after visiting this build log

IMG_1860x1024.jpg.e439cf0e4510cfbe3860e56fcd231002.jpg

Seriously the log of the Young America by bitao7697 is stunning.

I worked on the handle design for the port side cupboard had a few trials to come close to what I was after.

IMG_1861x1024.jpg.a8326bf2d0fbf7e0605d09b1c640fde2.jpg

IMG_1864x1024.jpg.8794fd42ebb685abbe2e30ab3cf34af7.jpg

I will start the kitchen area tomorrow once I put the needles down.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

6 minutes ago, michael mott said:

I started my new vocation today after visiting this build log

Unfortunately one can't give a thumps up and a laugh emoji for the same post, Michael but your quote above is funny I don't care who you are. Your work is every bit as amazing, we're blessed to have some truly gifted artist/craftsman here in MSW of which you are one. 

I agree with Keith. Both of your builds are nothing short of amazing. I always look forward to seeing the progress you and Bitao make. 

The handle design looks great btw!! 🙂 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Now I know why Kitchen reno's and rebuilds are so expensive.

IMG_1867x1024.jpg.f52b1456a9843189929abd712de32f45.jpg

IMG_1869x1024.jpg.3900c81782b502f0b13489aa017f6c0b.jpg

IMG_1871x1024.jpg.481beb49cb72008b336c9696fd5e717d.jpg

IMG_1874x1024.jpg.df7686a10c32b9943f21bce61d9b2e0d.jpg

IMG_1876x1024.jpg.42de97361a120e507b91f37f448eb259.jpg

IMG_1883x1024.jpg.17dc512a70b3e89614432a5790d1b2bf.jpg

IMG_1884x1024.jpg.e6b169c47c3109781e42e4863eb8aea2.jpg

Time for a coffee break, My arms ache from all that handsawing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

IMG_1861x1024.jpg.a8326bf2d0fbf7e0605d09b1c640fde2.jpg

If I may be so bold as to presume to make another recommendation...

Such grab handles would not likely be seen on any well-found seagoing vessel. All accommodation lockers require positive latching mechanisms to keep them from flying open when the vessel heels in a seaway, especially when a locker's weighty contents are thrown against the door. (Magnets, spring clips, and spring-loaded detent balls are sometimes seen on power boats, but simply won't cut it on a sailing vessel that will routinely be thrashing around at a significant angle of heel.) Given the period, these may be a finger-hole through the door with an elbow latch behind it, so the the finger can be inserted to press down on a spring-loaded latch to unlatch the door, which would latch when pushed shut, or a "button knob" which was a knob with a button in the middle which, when pressed, released the spring-loaded latch. Less complex latches were also used, such at the usual barrel bolts and sliding or swinging bars.

Elbow catch for finger-hole access: 

Brass Rocker Catch | Classic Boat Supplies | Australia

Push-button knob locker latch (also available with a keyed locking mechanism.

4077001.jpg

4024001.jpg

4024001X.jpg

Cabinet Locks | Locks | Cabin & Comfort | Toplicht

4050001X.jpg

Alternate, larger wardrobe latch:

spindverschluss-schwer-messing-oder-verchromt | Toplicht

image.png.e179d0ee7024a199f024217a368ac23e.png

Or, in keeping with your "theme," there are flush spring catches with finger ring pulls:

4505156.jpg

4505154XuRvMEacHq5vPp.jpg

See generally:  Toplicht (Hamburg) https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/innenbeschlaege/schnappverschluss-und-schnaepper/?p=3 and Davey and Co. (London) http://davey.co.uk/pdf/interior_fittings.pdf my favorite go-to sources for fine traditional yacht fittings (and priced like Tiffany's jewelry, unfortunately.)

Edited by Bob Cleek

2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Such grab handles would not likely be seen on any well-found seagoing vessel.

Bob, so I'm guessing that Stirling and Sons would have probably not have liked your comment. That said they could have been cleverly disguised latch handles that needed a slight twist to open them, by having the top rotate a 1/2 inch or less sort of like a lever type handle only vertical.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael mott said:

Bob, so I'm guessing that Stirling and Sons would have probably not have liked your comment. That said they could have been cleverly disguised latch handles that needed a slight twist to open them, by having the top rotate a 1/2 inch or less sort of like a lever type handle only vertical.

Michael

I'm sure I'd have driven Stirling and Sons batty if they were building her for me. I'd make sure they provided for ventilation in the locker doors as well, whether that were a decorative cut-out scroll sawed into the face of the door, a row of holes along the top edge, or a panel of bronze wire or woven cane mesh to make sure things in the locker didn't get all musty and moldy, too. 

True, a disguised swinging latch handle could be done, but from a stress distribution standpoint, that would probably be considered some pretty poor engineering. If one was thrown off balance by a wave while holding on to such a moveable handle, I'd expect it would be pretty easy to bend the shaft of the handle. I'd file that idea under "If it's such a good idea, how come nobody else thought of it before?" :D The options pictured in the Toplicht and Davey and Co. catalogs have been "state of the art" since at least the late 1800's. I've probably been aboard hundreds of fine (and not so fine) yachts over the years. I've never seen a disguised "grab and twist" locker handle. They do make one like this, though:

4013410.jpg

MASSVORREIBERVDcqNp5SlpJyH.jpg

https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/innenbeschlaege/vorreiber-und-riegel/vorreiber/vorreiber-1

These are the sorts of details that the great designers like Nathaniel and L. Francis Herreshoff, Fife, Camper and Nicholson's, and J. Laurent Giles so enjoyed inventing, many of which became trademarks of the yachts they designed.

There's a lot of room for artistic license in modeling, so go for it! It's such an amazingly beautiful build. Wouldn't it be wonderful when it's done to be able to walk into one of the premier yards with it in hand and tell them, "Build me one just like it full size!" 

Parenthetically, my own "dream yacht," which will forever remain just that, in this life, at least, is Giles' Dyarchy, a cutter quite similar to your model. I have copies of all Giles' original drawings and a license to build one model of her. One of these years, I hope to do so. Your build log is plowing the hard soil ahead of me!

Dyarchy-1.jpg

Dyarchy-.jpg

Your model's saloon reminds me of a very similar old British cutter I crewed on close to fifty years ago in a classic yacht race. As is often the case, the owners had no racing experience, and so recruited a bunch of us "young bucks" thinking we'd bring home the silver for them. As it wasn't our boat, we weren't particularly concerned about "babying" her. The owners lived aboard and, unbeknownst to us, the wife had a big bowl of soured milk covered with a dish towel out of which she was trying to make her own cheese. (I kid you not!) She'd stowed it chocked in with towels and whatever else on the pilot berth above and behind the saloon settee. As we were plowing along, we had to cross the wake of a large ship and, when we did, that bowl of curds and whey became airborne with quite a bit of velocity, flying across the saloon and coming to rest on the sole after bouncing off the base of the settee on the opposite side. It wasn't pretty, but the worst thing about for the crew was trying to keep a straight face while we continued to race along despite the cries of dismay from below! :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

Bob I,ll go back to this post for the inspiration for the handles.

Michael

2 hours ago, michael mott said:

Bob I,ll go back to this post for the inspiration for the handles.

Michael

Why not? If you're faithful to the prototype, your conscience is clear. I doubt it will cost you any points in a competition, that's for sure! The judges will be so overwhelmed by the gestalt of it all, they'll never notice that the prototype accommodation was built by a kitchen cabinetmaker and not a marine joiner. :D :D :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

7 hours ago, G.L. said:

I think it's very brave how you saw through your deck and cockpit.

Or daft depending on which school of Design one subscribes to. The reason of course is that if I had known back in 2012 what I current know (a little more) I would have designed the cockpit and deck openings differently. Because this model is not of a particular vessel but a combination of ideas from the type along with the current ideas of modern yachts being built as recreational boats for the pleasure of those with deep enough pockets, but alluding to the traditional working craft of the previous centuries. Basically this model is my apprenticeship for plank on frame model boats and rigging. My next model sailboat is likely going to be a Gill Smith catboat which will be an accurate model This is my tracing of a drawing from a book.

1688141664_newpauline..jpg.64a58c68cdf9ed05df359d4ca7f1ccee.jpg

That will need to wait though I still have a few things to learn and a trip down east to see the gill smith boats that are in a museum. once all the Covid issues are sorted. The Cat boats have such a beautiful and simple rig. back in 1970's I cannot remember the year I made a half model of a cat boat from a drawing that was in a scan from an early issue of Rudder that a friend send me. 

Capture1890.JPG.215772993b115dcfad4409135f248ab6.JPG

IMG_18911891.jpg.15c4255e48d7f0db3f4d49716d472a48.jpg

The future looks exciting.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael mott said:

IMG_18911891.jpg.15c4255e48d7f0db3f4d49716d472a48.jpg

That's just pretty! I look forward to your catboat build! I hope to be one of the first to follow your log (if you decide to set one up), just can't wait!! 😄

I just searched it up, she looks very beautiful

New Gil Smith catboat pics. | Boat building, Wooden sailboat, Wooden boats

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

The document I used for my tracing of Pauline's hull lines is this one. I would love to get a hard copy of this thesis.

Michael

Michael, I couldn't find that a hard copy of the thesis is available. This maybe something you have do yourself through FedEx Office Print & Go or Office Depot. I did come across the link below.......

https://maineboats.com/print/issue-156/drawing-board-new-catboat-project

Keith, thanks for this information. I am guessing that the Merwin Thesis that was submitted to the Office of Graduate studies is likely not published for general distribution.

I am going to open a new thread about this boat as a start so that any research materials and references can be discussed there.

Michael

Yes thanks Druxey a good idea, I will do that.

All further references to the cat boat can now be posted here

Michael

The rebuild of the companionway is starting to come together.

The walls are a sandwich of Maple and Mahogany with an Apple cap rail.

IMG_1903x1024.jpg.16b0220851243634397344bf03135b64.jpg

IMG_1904x1024.jpg.1bb032c83e966551309f79ccc70c1a4e.jpg

The companionway will go back to having doors like these ones.

Michael

I tend to forget how big this build is and then you post a pic with a clutch pencil on the deck!

You're a braver man than me 'Gunga Din' - great results though Michael - look forward to to seeing the new doors.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the comments and likes, The are encouraging.

As the work continues with the refit of the cockpit cum companionway. I needed to add enough wood to create the jams for the doors I cut up some small strips with the jewelers saw, it seems to be just as fast as setting up the table saw and wastes far less wood, and I am loath to waste Mahogany anyway.

IMG_1906x1024.jpg.4777abb89e5fc5eb223222d9ce63ffed.jpg

A couple of strokes with the Veritas low angle block plane on the thicknessing jig to prepare them for gluing.

IMG_1907x1024.jpg.63d519c00d42699d3ebe6753bddd76ee.jpg

IMG_1908x1024.jpg.b6794fe418711404001ec0bdcd89214b.jpg

A stop was added after the filler pieces had been glued.

IMG_1913x1024.jpg.921d756f70f5a076700375784a2941c5.jpg

I still need to add the piece across the bottom, and then I noticed that the back beam across the hatch was going to interfere with the top of the doors so out with the alcohol.

IMG_1917x1024.jpg.98605dd6389534aaa49378a7dddd526f.jpg

Reposition the part after a bit of clean up.

IMG_1919x1024.jpg.4fa2ebd66a121d5cec54634dde3d7014.jpg

Now the stage it set for the doors.

IMG_1922x1024.jpg.91a61e7c90d56d5cd428607374a29117.jpg

Yes I noticed the scratch and the misaligned screws.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling correction

Ah, but that scratch adds some real authenticity :)  Looks good Michael.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat, and to everyone for registering a nod with the like button.

I keep thinking I should have made a lot more hinges when I was making them earlier. Also one of the troubles with Cad is that it took me ages to discover what the problem was with getting an accurate drawing of the doors to the companionway. Cad is much too accurate! I was taking measurements and putting them into the drawing, and then the next measurements were conflicting, and things seemed to be mismatching. I even set up a sting datum line from stem to stern to double check the details of the cockpit and companionway, Printed out the doors cut them out and they did not fit cleanly. 

Went back did more and different measurements, printed it out again, another different slight mismatch.

Then I discovered that the deck is 3/64ths lower on the port side than the starboard and that there is a 1/32nd parallelogram to the companionway relative to the deck.

A final adjustment to the drawing "as built" Ah then it fit.

IMG_1924x1024.jpg.48de5fe6b0588c79a9e8c2855cde46de.jpg

Then I was able to prepare the wood for the doors.

IMG_1925x1024.jpg.64b2d800ae429366571289e80b8c3e73.jpg

The rough elements still a lot to do shaping the panels, but at least some progress after a frustrating morning drawing.

Michael

A master class as usual Michael but you're making me glad I don't have CAD

Michael, to the eye those mismatched dimensions are not discernible, so more kudos your way in figuring all that out.  Looks like you have a nice fit now.

cheers

Pat

The beveled, panels looked a bit heavy so opted for a different style. I planed up some thinner panels and put a bevel into the stiles and rails.

IMG_1928x1024.jpg.c30acd3a7c3d2207d29989486ddfc076.jpg

IMG_1931x1024.jpg.b1cd3722443ba5ab6a2ef1f17e50f7eb.jpg

IMG_1933x1024.jpg.a6ef859a0046c15e639887182ba0f1d2.jpg

IMG_1934x1024.jpg.0448de920f3bb796d59b2a00b5218694.jpg

Now I need to sort out a locking mechanism.

Michael