Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Thanks for your thoughts on this, As I am not building a working cutter of the period but one that has been converted to a recreational yacht, I think that the wet oilskins won't be such an issue. I like the pigskin color better than the green so will continue to experiment with it to get the right proportions for the buttons and seams.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Red leather is reminiscent of a mans parlor or library.....the Cloth more of a ladies sitting room or entertaining lounge.

The green leather is more apropos to a nautical theme in MV.  Clean and fresh.  Similar to what Haken posted of an actual vessel.

However, I am far too opinionated, on things nautical, so I defer to your own good sense.  It's your model.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Well thanks for all the feedback, I have decided that the pigskin is my preferred choice, and have refined the button pattern it is a bit less busy than the one in Integrity, I can live with that.

IMG_1755x1024.jpg.87129af434c7b14e87e2b327bccfb380.jpg

IMG_1757x1024.jpg.4d4a528c06dcf7f79eacc97299075ce4.jpg

IMG_1756x1024.jpg.e0309996ee39bf3660670706feea5671.jpg

Only 6 more to go.

23 hours ago, TBlack said:

taking the interior cabinetry out of the boat and reassembling it must take a good part of the day!

Actually Tom it does not take much time at all at this stage of the game. It will get more complex down the road though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks for all the positive feedback..... after sleeping on the decisions about the cushions this morning I tried a new approach with some differedt foam and backing boards.

The next series of pictures are self explanatory.

IMG_1767x1024.jpg.d3bb97f79ea328ecf0167af7cd0bbef0.jpg

IMG_1768x1024.jpg.c979fab97ca786e1917c2b9a5c071d51.jpg

IMG_1769x1024.jpg.538464331c95d4101985d5f9290b99df.jpg

IMG_1770x1024.jpg.1425bec21dccb1f8a4c14f9f5ff1ea7c.jpg

IMG_1772x1024.jpg.dcf4230561e7fb0c76268f818a9f97fd.jpg

IMG_1773x1024.jpg.98480cb9b706f172b37f467e130f5c46.jpg

IMG_1775x1024.jpg.d2a1150160aa839740d265df3ace2db5.jpg

And yes I am switching to the green because it is softer and more forgiving , The last picture shows the seat and back cushions as different patterns the backs will be the same as the new seats.

Michael

29 minutes ago, TBlack said:

After all this effort, I hope these cushions are visible in the final product. But they do look classy!

Hi Tom yes they will be, I still have a couple of niggling problems to solve now.

The new foam gives a better softness to the cushions, however because I only used a single layer of 3/32 the tension on the foam and backer board hs a slight curl or cupping which can be seen in the last picture. Tomorrow morning I will glue up some backer boards with a cross laminate to prevent that from happening.

IMG_1777x1024.jpg.fa99deeb2ed47865510b74ca3b046fb2.jpg

There will also be a bit more "meat for the small nails.  I can see the end of this particular tunnel now.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael mott said:

Hi Tom yes they will be, I still have a couple of niggling problems to solve now.

The new foam gives a better softness to the cushions, however because I only used a single layer of 3/32 the tension on the foam and backer board hs a slight curl or cupping which can be seen in the last picture. Tomorrow morning I will glue up some backer boards with a cross laminate to prevent that from happening.

IMG_1777x1024.jpg.fa99deeb2ed47865510b74ca3b046fb2.jpg

There will also be a bit more "meat for the small nails.  I can see the end of this particular tunnel now.

Michael

Good work,  good material,  good choice .     Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

A difficult day today!

Our beloved 20 year pet Tyra died in Judy's arms this morning, she was not in any pain and died naturally.

IMG_9904tyra.jpg.6240cd1a7272e5ae42aef22cb9d18c9c.jpg

Michael

My condolences to you and Judy, Michael.  Pets are family too.  We lost our 14 year old Corgi a year ago and still feel the loss.

So sorry Michael and agree with Jack. A loss of a beloved pet is really hard.  I’m sure it’s comforting that she was able to pass peacefully at home surrounded by love. 

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

So sorry for you both, Michael. Been there, not easy.... Any missing pet really leaves a hole. I imagine Tyra had a great life with you both. 20 years is a good innings, but that isn't of much consolation.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

So sorry for your loss, Michael. She went peacefully, after living a long life being loved by you and Judy

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

I, too, have felt the loss of a treasured pet. But 20 years, not bad. Tyra was obviously loved and well cared for. God gave us these pets to love and who love us, and then their life span is so short that we have to watch them die. Life can be tough sometimes.

TB

Non-pet owners sometimes have a hard time understanding how deeply we mourn when we lose a pet. Twenty years is a long life for a cat but that does not diminish the loss. Tyra was lucky to have such caring and compassionate owners and I know she lived a wonderful life.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your cat.  They really become a part of your family.  I still miss my 17 year old cat who passed away several years ago.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Michael, my heart goes out to you and Judy. I'm deeply saddened for your loss of Tyra, I still mourn the loss of Amelia who passed away this past August. 

So sorry for your loss Michael. When I was much younger our cat died after being part of our lives for 18 years. I still think of him and visiting familiar places miss his presence.

Michael, sorry to hear about Tyra, your fur baby crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  The memories of them last us forever and that's good thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When we still had our farm we had a cat that looked just like yours....we just called him Kitty and he lived in our barn but would eat with the family and play with our kids and even the dog. So I know just how much you miss him. We had Kitty 18years!

Thank you all for your very thoughtful condolences, it helps soften the pain that welled up yesterday, even though we new her time was drawing to a close.

here a couple of picture from earlier in  September 2019 and March 2020

IMG_7835x1024.thumb.jpg.8f9191d51ceb934fe65b474b1253577c.jpg

IMG_E9396x1024.jpg.d7a4e72b30d96842270aac711dd7cd0d.jpg

To the moderators, I know this is a build log so thank you for your compassion, Had I had my wits about me I would have posted the earlier picture in the Shore leave, so thank you.

Michael 

Sad news Michael. You catch them in the corner of your eye for many years after they have gone.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Again thanks to you for all your kindness.

Today I was able to get back to doing a little work. I feel like my apprenticeship in the upholstery department has moved me forward enough to make the final set of cushions

The first picture shows the production of the seats, with all the learning steps piled up in the background. The fabric was marked and punched for the pins and then that will be done all at the same time.

IMG_1779x1024.jpg.0a3f61a636d0546266153a380b9d8d6f.jpg

I used a steel plate to initially act as a stop for the pins then set up a 1/16th set of spacers to set the pins a little lower. after that the pins were snipped off the backside and then reset to dull the snipped ends and to ensure that all were the same depth.

IMG_1781x1024.jpg.681bdf32ef715812db4284d8f056c8c0.jpg

The starboard side cushions are ready for the coloring, the port cushions will be pinned tomorrow.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling correction

Dang, that look so good Michael - congrats on your promotion from apprentice.  Now if you don't mind doing a full parlour and officers quarters for a mid-19th century vessel   ....... ;) :) 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)