HMS Dragon 1760 by Siggi52 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - English 74-Gun ship

Siggi, that is a very nice model well presented. That last picture makes me feel as though I could almost climb in and walk around.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Congrats for a really beautyful model. And thank you very much for your build log. I -and I am sure a lot of other MSW users also- got a lot of information which is very helpful for my own projects.

I hope that your will start another project in the near future.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Excellent display, Siggi !!!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Magnificent in build and presentation, Siggi.  I too am in awe of this ship and the builder.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Siggi,

Stunning ... A truely magnificent build, and a superb display. I do love the illumination, although, at first, I had my reservations about it. Worth a standing ovation!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello,

many thanks for your nice words and comments about my work.

Now day two after the ship is ready, I did't know really what to do. I sorted a little my shop, stored the machines, cleaned here and there the workbenches, but I missed the work! I have nothing to do  :( 

That where four years of searching, working and so on. Sleepless nights, when my brain started the day at two a clock with thinking over this or that, now I miss it. But I hope, after some times it will go away and life went on normal. May be next winter I start with the captains bark.

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Thank you Robin. I don't know who is responsible for withdrawing a blog? If it's me, you could look through it till eternity  ;)

I have send you a letter to the Black Dog Studio, so have a look next week for it.

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

hi siggi

beautiful model and looks awesome in the case

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Sigge, you have done a wonderful job.  And had enough room to have a nice display. Since you like an interesting challenge.  How about a stern of the Vasa as She was Swedish built  a hundred years earlier than the English built Dragon.  Pointing out the difference between English and Swedish practices and the eras. that they were built in.

David B

Thank you for your nice words.

David, such a model I would't build again. That was tooo much and unfortunately I do not like the earlier ships. It's a question of taste. But I have seen the Vasa, I think it was in 68 or 69. At that stage the conservators where busy with her, but I think I must visit her again in the next future.

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

• 2 weeks later...

SHAME! ON! ME!

How did this gem did escape from my attention. Luckily one of my stablemate of my german forum just made me aware of this marvelous build.

Even though we discussed some details on other places of the forum, never realised this marvel here :-)

It was a delight of the highest degree to find it and to have a fast scan, and I am sure, I will still have some delightful and inspiring moments to have a deeper look!

Thank you for the report, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

a friend send me this picture of the now new restored Victory. Maybe they have seen my blog?  ;)

post-13971-0-64180500-1459864101_thumb.jpg

This is my lobby 

post-13971-0-98972100-1459864253_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

At least your version is more seaworthy: No sliding glasses on the side table ;-)

XXXDan

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

May be you are right, but I think they emptied the glasses and stored them when a storm comes up. I would do that  :rolleyes:

But the really interesting thing is the stove in the background. This unknown captain, I earlier mentioned, wrote in his booklet:

post-13971-0-38877000-1459870892_thumb.jpg

Even in wintertime, when the doc says it is necessary, they lighten the stoves, so that the men did't get a cold. In better weather they set every morning windsails to ventilate the lower decks.

post-13971-0-30279600-1459871568_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

It seems so. That book is from 1804. I don't know if the flogging captain is not only a propaganda from the enemies.

If you reads „The Wooden World" from N.A.M. Rodger then you would believe that. He writes over the Navi during the seven years war. That must have been a time, when a captain took care of his men. Only a well treated seamen will fight well for his country. That is a very interesting book to read. He must have lived for several years in the archives of the navy!

regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Hi Siggi;

Thanks for posting that excerpt about the washing etc.  Very interesting. 

There were some very cruel captains.  Piggott,  of the 'Hermione,' who was so bad that his crew murdered him,  was an extreme example.

On the other hand,  even the Admiralty could be amenable at times.  When the crews of the ships at Spithead mutinied,  without violence,  in 1797 (although they made it clear that if the enemy came around they would return to duty) their quite reasonable demands were agreed to.  It was only later,  when crews in other bases tried to extract more concessions that things turned nasty (although this seems in great part due to the character of the ringleaders)

As with so many things,  I think it all comes down to the fact that there are many different types of people,  and each behaves differently.

All the best,

Mark P 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 1 month later...

Hello,

now it is done, the ship is in his case.

The only thing that is left, is to connect the LED's in front of the ship with the switch and the battery. 

Regards,

Siggi

Siggi,

that is a beautiful section model, and the idea of setting up the display with sealevel is brilliant. A pleasure to see your outstanding work , well done !!    :)    :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

I am constantly humbled when I look at the build log of others.  Well done sir.  Beautiful work!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Many thanks for all your nice comments, I really appreciate it. 

The men of the shipyard are still on vacation. I had been busy building two rifles during the wintertime. The smaller rifle is after a Armstrong rifle and the longer one after a Jacob Ferree rifle. (48 inch barrel!) Here is the frizzen is still missing! :angry: 

At the moment I'm busy in my garden, I did't do very much here the last 4 years. But I think to the end of the year I will be back at the shipyard.

Best regards,

Siggi

DSC04304.thumb.jpg.d15000914757ab3deaf276351e412a13.jpg

DSC04283.jpg.cac662447a08946d07e32ef137630ecd.jpg

DSC04287.jpg.1012439595233eb65baf69b6e96d6008.jpg

Regards,

Siggi