Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

Have fun at the race track Mobbsie! Glad to hear you managed to turn the two canons from ebony - looking forward to seeing the pics.

Now a day at Brands Hatch.. that sounds like fun.  I took one of those eons ago in southern California and it was a total blast. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Guys, back from the track and a good day was had by all, it was lovely to see my sons face after each event, took me years back to when he was just a young boy, wonderful.

OK, it's time to show the cannon's, as I said in my last post their not identical and their a little longer than should be, but I quite like them.

Also I shall be showing some pics of how I do the Trunion Caps, there not meant as a tutorial so please don't think they are, it's just the way I do them. 

Some pics

post-493-0-05924000-1444834947_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-27970900-1444835029_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-45109000-1444835056_thumb.jpg

So now for the Trunion Caps

A sheet of 0.4 brass, cut a little narrower than the sides

post-493-0-90870100-1444835229_thumb.jpg

Turn the end of the strip up and place 0.5 brass wire inside

post-493-0-45294900-1444835290_thumb.jpg

Using tweezers, press the turn up down and apply pressure, locking the wire in place.

post-493-0-00115700-1444835336_thumb.jpg

Place strip into blackener.

post-493-0-86221800-1444835377_thumb.jpg

Position the strip onto the carriage side and cut to size, then when in position press firmly either side of the Trunion until the strip forms a good fit over the Trunion.

post-493-0-29063400-1444835434_thumb.jpg

Drill a 0.5m hole into the end of the strip

post-493-0-07030000-1444835498_thumb.jpg

Place a small eyebolt in the end and a light dab of C/A to fix

post-493-0-89067300-1444836222_thumb.jpg

A simple way of making the Trunion Caps, the finished item.

post-493-0-34058800-1444836447_thumb.jpg

I do hope you don't mind me putting my method in here, as I say it's not meant as a tutorial, it's simple and it works for me.

Next up is the Deck Arrangement i.e. Ladders, Kevel Cleats etc.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I don't care what you say, Mobbsie, I am going to use your method as a tutorial. I have been using just a strip of black paper, but yours look sooo much better. Thanks for the method.

Both Canons and Cap Squares look great Mobbsie! And Tom is right - a neat little tutorial. :)

It may not have been meant as tutorial but it is one for those little things. The guns, carriages, and caps look great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Thanks guys for your comments and remarks, also for all who hit the "like" button, their all very much appreciated.

Its update time again.

The deck area is now completed, I started rigging the guns before placing onto the deck, the Breech ropes were measured and the ends were then whipped into the ringbolts, the blocks are 5mm singles ( these blocks were made by Grant for my Agamemnon and were left over from her ), one block x 4 was tied to eyebolts and glued onto each gun carriage. These were then put aside.

24 Ring Bolts, 4 Kevel Cleats,4 Cleats and 2 Entry Port Ladders were made up and then fitted, I didn't take any pics of these items as they are a pretty standard item. The Kevel Cleats on the Sheer Rail are of 3/32 Ebony and is a very simple shaping exercise, the remaining Cleats are 3/32 Red Heart and again are a very simple shaping exercise, these cleats were drilled and fixed in place using glue and pins.

The Gun Carriages were glued into position, the Hooks on the running tackles were positioned and the Breech Rope Ring Bolts glued in, 4 Flemish Coils were made and placed on the deck either side of the guns. The Entry Port Ladders were then glued on. The ladders were made from 1/16 Swiss Pear.

The Flemish Coils are made from 0.75mm natural thread on a bed of low tack masking tape, once the coils had been formed they were soaked in diluted PVA.

Next up will be the Channel Boards and Deadeyes and all the metalwork that goes with them, I have had a practice and I know what I will be doing with them. I have had a good go at making the Deadeyes but all attempts ended in complete failure, so with my mentors approval I will be buying them in, they will still be Boxwood so I will remain true with that.

Some Pictures.

One of the canons with it's rope work

post-493-0-33774300-1445610290_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-47609900-1445610382_thumb.jpg

Finished canon with Flemish Coils

post-493-0-03892900-1445610556_thumb.jpg

The finished weather deck ( a big jump )

post-493-0-92789200-1445610615_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-97008800-1445610634_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-80043800-1445610691_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-65620300-1445610721_thumb.jpg

So there we are, next up is all outer hull work with the exception of the Swivel Guns, ( should be fun )

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

All looking very ship-shape there Mobbsie. :) I'll do my best to do some catching up this weekend!

Stunning work, Mobbsie.  Your use of woods and natural colors is wonderful to the eyes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Make that 4 thumbs up, mate,

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Make that 4 thumbs up, mate

Make that 5 thumbs up !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great work Mobbsie. Two thumbs, 8 fingers and a whole lot of clapping! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Damn nice work Mobbsie!

I also have to admit I'm going to steal your razor blade scraper holder idea.  I've used that type of scraper for 30 years and would've never thought of using it as you did - to hold a razor while shaping the rail.  Brilliant...

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Hi Gents,

Thanks very much for your kind words and comments and also for hitting the "like" button, all are very much appreciated.

This is the penultimate update, she's completed apart from the display case which should arrive some time this week.

I made the Channel Board from 7/16 x 1/16 Swiss Pear, with the template in place I filed the chain cut outs to 1.0mm, I was using 0.04 brass strip for the Chain Plate and didn't need to go too deep. The Chain Plate retaining Paunch is just a straight piece of 1/16 Swiss Pear, the Channel Knees were also 1/16 Swiss Pear.

The Chain Plates were cut to a width of 2mm from 0.04mm brass sheet and the end bent around a 1.0mm brass rod, I left a tail on the loop which when fitted would go through the cut outs on the Chain Plate locking the Iron Chain Strop in place, the opposite end had a 0.8mm hole drilled. I pre-shaped my first set of Chain Plates but these turned out to be a dismal failure and a new set was cut and left straight apart from the loop, until they were fitted.

The Iron Chain Strop which locks the Deadeye's in place is 0.5mm Copper Wire, this was wrapped around the Deadeye's and a full twist tight beneath them held them in place, the tails were then wound around a 1.0mm brass rod, this loop was then fitted into the loop on the Iron Chain Strops. The Chain Plates and Iron Chain Strops were then blackened using John Penny Antiquing Fluid.

Next up came the Swivel Gun Pedestal, These are 3/16 x 3/16 Swiss Pear, they had to be filed down to 6 sides and shaped to fit the Hull and Sheer Rail, a 0.8mm hole was drilled in the top for the Swivel Gun Mounting Yoke. As a small piece of decoration a small sticky backed copper band was placed around the top.

The Yoke was made from some spare Hammock Chains from my Agamemnon, they were shaped and cut down to size, 4 x Eyebolts were then glued to top of the Yoke using Resin ( I tried to solder them on but failed miserably, just too small ).

The Swivel Guns were next, these little beasties were made from 1/14 x 1/14 Ebony and they done my head in. They weren't difficult to turn except that I still cant get two the same but the basic problem was quite important, I couldn't see the damn things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I had all the lights available to me on the job but I still had to put white paper under them so I could see what I was doing, the only casualty was me in that I ended up with one hell of a headache from eyestrain, anyway the muzzle was drilled out and a hole drilled through to take Trunion.  

Next up came the Entry Port Ladders, these were made from 3/32 x 1/8 Swiss Pear. I cut three stripes 4" long and glued them together staggering each strip thus forming the basic shape, they were then cut into 5 x 5/8 steps and each end filed forming the step.

The last thing I had to do before assembly was to drill and fill the Hull Treenails, 0.8mm holes were drilled and a mixture of saw dust used to fill back. I made the filling from Holly, Ebony and Pear mixed with a white filler, the end result is quite pleasing to my eye. 

With all the parts made it was time to assemble, I fixed the Entry Port Ladders in place followed by the Chain Board, the Swivel Gun Pedestal was then fixed in place. The Iron Chain Strops were then placed into the Chain Board and the bottoms pinned in place. All that was left to fit was the Swivel Gun Yokes, these just pushed into the Pedestal and did not need fixing.

A couple of coats of Poly Satin finish and all is complete, so I do have some pictures but as usual I get too involved with what I'm doing and didn't photo the processes.

Some Picture

post-493-0-23496000-1447066471_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-54135400-1447066638_thumb.jpg 

post-493-0-80605500-1447066657_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-93484100-1447066678_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention the stand, I didn't like the stand, I thought it's a bit too chunky and so cut it down, I wont go into written details as I do have some pics that cover that side.

post-493-0-76186700-1447066943_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-62194300-1447067052_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-66643600-1447067068_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-41222700-1447067199_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-62408700-1447067213_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-46922700-1447067228_thumb.jpg

So that's it guys, quite a big entry so if anybody has any questions please ask away.

Final update will be with the Display Case.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Further to my last post I do have some more pics of the stands

post-493-0-28518400-1447069035_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-40297200-1447069053_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-54395700-1447069084_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-35780700-1447069107_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-46421200-1447069127_thumb.jpg

I hope that helps.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

She's a stunning piece of work, Mobbsie !!!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

She's a true beauty, Mobbsie.  Can't wait to see her under glass.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Excellent work Tony....... looks real nice!!...... although I think it's going to be a little difficult if you try to launch her( she has no bow or stern)

:D :D :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Congratulations Mobbsie! What a stunning looking final model. You've done an excellent job on her my friend. Looking forward to seeing her in the display case she deserves. I'm still a few weeks behind you at the moment, so you've probably got time to finish two or three more builds before I catch up! ;)

Congratulations on a spectacular build, Mobbsie.   Impeccable.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mobbsie,

That is a truley wonderful cross section and I really like what you did with the stand too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thank you all so very much for your very kind comments and remarks and for your continued support throughout this build, it has been very much appreciated.

Thank you Grant for getting me into this build and for your help, support and discussions during the build, I am pleased with the end result and never ever thought I would be able to build anything like this, your input has been invaluable mate.

The case has arrived and I must say it's quite impressive, it's made from 3mm Acrylic with the base Mahogany and a green felt inlay. I found the company via the internet and it's about 17 miles from me in Colchester. It arrived by mail and was so well packed you could have nuked it and it would have survived.

I've not only been working on the Granado but have also worked on the following boats:- Harwich Bawley (Restoration), Thames Barge Edme ( Repair / Restoration ), Thames Barge Will Everard ( Commission ), 3 none nautical kits from Woody Joe, Scorpion Crossbow and a Norman Catapult. All these in 1 year so as you can see I've not been idol.

I have some pics of the add-ons just a from - too 

The Bawley, From This                                                

post-493-0-25864800-1448447926_thumb.jpg  

To This

post-493-0-62381900-1448447956.jpg

Edme,  From This                                                                                  To This

post-493-0-39067900-1448448121_thumb.jpg             post-493-0-15814400-1448448141.jpg

Will Everard ( Commission ) 

post-493-0-98042900-1448448311.jpg

Now for the Granado Cross Section, I have increased the pixel count on these so hopefully they will be a bit larger. The felt inlay looks blue in the pictures but it's green in reality, also the case looks a bit milky in some but it is really clear.

post-493-0-85610800-1448448609_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-86597900-1448448624_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-02475200-1448448644_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-61570000-1448448665_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-48675700-1448448680_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-91603900-1448448699_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-56824100-1448448724_thumb.jpg

So there we are gents, the end of a years enjoyable and rewarding work, surprising what can be achieved when pushed and encouraged, thanks Grant and you guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

All around excellent work, Mobbsie. Well done! :cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild