Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

Beautiful work Mobbsie!   :cheers:

I can't wait to get back to work on mine.   I am a complete failure as a retired person.  Work sure gets in the way of my hobbies.  

Another 6 weeks before I get back to work on my build, I will never catch up now but I love following in your footsteps.  You and Grant sure make this easy for the rest of us.

Thanks,

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Hi Mobbsie, been a while since I looked it.  You're doing great, you're skills look fine to me!  The bomb vessel has a unique construction, I couldn't figure out what you were building (the platform for the mortar?) until I saw it finished, then it made sense.  Enjoy your scratchbuilding!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Hi Guys

It's update time again.

Thanks one and all for your very kind comments and remarks also the like button, very much appreciated.

All the Beams are now completed, fitted and given two coats of WOP.

The Trimmer Beams were fitted as part of the Upper Deck along with the Carlings, next up came the Hanging Knees and Lodging Knees. Notches cut into the Lodging Knees and some of these proved problematic.

Because of my inability to Mill I used a sharp blade to cut the notches, the nature of the wood (Swiss Pear) which very soft some of the edges of the notches broke away, these then had to be remade. On reflection I would have done things differently in that I would not have cut the notches in the Knees until the Ledges had been offered up. Not all notches lined up, and so had to opened up so a parallel fit could be achieved.

The Upper Deck came together really quickly which was a surprise, it looked daunting to me and I really wasn't looking forward to this part of the build,  I think it's a reasonable finish, after sanding it was given 2 coats of WOP.

Next up was the Mortar Pit, its quite a snug fit so sanding will have to be gentle with a fine paper, it's now glued up with the rings attached to the inside, when the glue has set sanding will be done and WOP applied.

Enough words, time for some pictures.

All the Beams are fitted including the Half Beams, these were a real pig to fit, just awkward.

post-493-0-99302000-1433242037_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the Hanging Knees, these turned out to be a really good fit.

post-493-0-02929800-1433242172_thumb.jpg

The first of the Lodging Knees fitted.

post-493-0-28258700-1433242475_thumb.jpg

First set of Lodging Knees and Hanging Knees

post-493-0-13065800-1433242614_thumb.jpg

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Sorry Guys, I hit the wrong key, we will continue.

A big jump, the complete Upper Deck

post-493-0-61733400-1433242941_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-00453900-1433242961_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-89400100-1433242991_thumb.jpg

These are the plans for the Upper Deck just for clarity

post-493-0-79900300-1433243079_thumb.jpg

The Mortar Pit dry fitted

post-493-0-73023100-1433243157_thumb.jpg

Mortar Pit all glued up with shackle rings fitted.

post-493-0-76445100-1433243212_thumb.jpg

So there we are guys, your up to date, sorry for the big jump with the Upper Deck but I think I just got carried away.

All comments, remarks or suggestions are welcome, good or bad.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Mobbsie, it's looking great! Very nice joinery and finish. :cheers:

And glad to see how you've organized your work documents in ring binders; I've done that for years and most modelers around here think I'm OCD or just anal. :);)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Those knees can be fiddly to get just right.  They look terrific.....and the deck is stunning. Nicely done, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great work, as always, Mobbsie. Please keep blazing the trail for the rest of us - we'll catch up again eventually!

Just stunning work, Mobbsie.   Swiss pear is a wonderful wood to with but it has it's "issues'... soft being one of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great job Mobbsie. Your joints and finish is perfect. Love it!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Mobbsie,

Like the jump ... shows a very crisp upper deck beam overview ... looks sharp and new!!! Couldn't do it m'self ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's update time again gents, only a small one this time though.

Thank-you one and all for your positive and very kind remarks, also for all who hit the like button.

The Mortar pit is now complete and fitted, given the two coats of WOP and the fit became really tight, fortunately a little persuasion and it went home ok.

The Hatch coamings are made from Redheart, not familiar with this wood and I don't think I like it very much, It's really easy to work with and I think is softer than Swiss Pear, another drawback is that the filings act very similar to Ebony in that they stain other wood, when sanding down the sandpaper mustn't be used for any other wood, having said all that the effect is very different. 

The Hatch Boards are made from Walnut and are so simple, the bend in the boards was formed by moulding them around the Hatch Coaming, you will see the method I used in the pictures, nothing startling there I can assure you.

Said Hatch is now complete and fixed onto the deck, the cross section has now been placed into a plastic carrier bag and put aside waiting for company.

My attention is currently focused on repairing my Barge which was damaged in the Museum, a log has yet to be set up but will be located in the Scratch Section, this log will be up and running in the next day or so.

Picture time

The completed Mortar Pit frame

post-493-0-56572400-1434038275_thumb.jpg

Hatch Coaming

post-493-0-76122100-1434038388_thumb.jpg

Old planks laid over the coaming and held down by an elastic band

post-493-0-75282700-1434038438_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-86614500-1434038516_thumb.jpg

The shape for the boards to follow

post-493-0-86505300-1434038575_thumb.jpg

The four boards clamped in place

post-493-0-06504600-1434038665_thumb.jpg

Completed Hatch including the lifting rings, they look a little on the heavy side.

post-493-0-67588300-1434038735_thumb.jpg

Both Mortar Pit and Coaming fixed in position

post-493-0-35953000-1434038825_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-05971700-1434038841_thumb.jpg

So your up to date now guys, it may be a while before the next update.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Lovely hatch.  Has a 'seasoned' look to it.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mobbsie I am coming in late and am sorry I did not catch this log earlier.  Your framing is great especially the way you did it.  That is why I do solid hulls.  To me it will always be an arcane art form to get right.  The deck beams and the rest of your work is outstanding you are really kicking ***.  Keep it up and I will pull up a chair in the back if that is okay with you.

David B

Beautiful work, Mobbsie.   You're right about the redheart.  I also splinters if you look at the wrong way but you seemed to have tamed that beast.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Mobbsie. Okay, I took the hint.........it's been a busy few weeks back at work.......hopefully the shipyard will re-open this weekend and I can start playing catch-up again! ;)

Mobbsie, it all looks great. I aspire to be able to do this kind of work someday. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Mobbsie,

(Thanks!)

Rather nice your progress, though you'll need a weightlifter to get those planks with those rings off ...

Carl

Hi Guys,

No update just a big thank you for your kind remarks and hitting the like button,

David B,   Welcome aboard mate, your more than welcome but don't forget to bring your life preserver, this beast wont float.

Augie,   Makes a change to see something else season other than me.

Mark,    No splinters mate but loads of talcum powder like sawdust, horrible stuff and given the opportunity will stain everything around it, a bit like Ebony. 

Grant,   Wad I say, Wad I say.

Carl,     You've given me the push I needed mate, new rings have been made and will be fitted shortly, I did think they were to big but I told myself  they were

ok.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Sometimes Carl it's the only sense I get. :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Tony....What can I say?? ....... It looks terrific!!. great choice on the wood...... and of course  your great craftsmanship are producing an

outstanding build. Sorry I got lost along the way :( My hats off to you Tony ,that's some pretty nice work :im Not Worthy:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Time for another update.

A lot has happened since my last post not least the loss of my pictorial record of the build, it just disappeared. I searched my Laptop to the best of my ability but no luck, fortunately I still have them on my phone but because they had already been downloaded the laptop didn't want to copy the pictures, several hours later I have managed to recover 215 pictures plus the latest photos, I just have to organise them into some sort of order.

OK, progress made so-far is as follows:- Waterways ( Box )  are made and fitted, Spirketing ( Redheart ) made and fitted and the Deck Planking ( Holly ) has been laid and drilled out for treenails. The Bulwarks ( Redheart ) have been fitted and made ready for drilling out for the bolts, this will have to wait until the deck is treenailed and given a coat of WOP.

I mustn't forget the rings on the hatch have been changed to smaller ones.

Time for some pictures I hope.

Waterway and Spirketing on the Starboard side

post-493-0-86389400-1436868301_thumb.jpg

The Portside

post-493-0-92137700-1436868386_thumb.jpg

Portside Bulwarks

post-493-0-15992500-1436868445_thumb.jpg

Starboard Bulwarks

post-493-0-20120700-1436868459_thumb.jpg

The deck planks were cut to size and black paper glued to one side for Caulking.

post-493-0-88329400-1436868564_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-03096300-1436868680_thumb.jpg

The first seven planks have been laid, the first plank alongside the waterway required tapering.

post-493-0-59950700-1436868730_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-87549200-1436868834_thumb.jpg

The next three pics are of the completed planking and drilled out ready for the treenails, (a mix of sanding dust).

post-493-0-58230900-1436868869_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-27076000-1436868887_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-29182000-1436868910_thumb.jpg

So that's where I am at the moment, still behind the boss and nowhere near catching up, I have been busy watching the cricket though, oooops.

That's it for now gents, any and all comments, remarks and criticisms are welcome. 

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Huge improvement on the rings Mobbsie. Well done on the caulking paper. Looks pretty good, as do bulwarks, waterways and planking ... You'll catch up mate, Grant can't keep that pace ... (I hope for you though ;) )

Carl

Looking good Mobbsie. I'm glad you took a few progress shots here 'cause I forgot to!

You are a master of "painting with wood". The cross section is sensational. Keep the pix and commentary coming, Mobbsie!

Ken

Wonderful work... so clean and perfect..     

Sorry to hear about the computer problems.   I think we all have had those problems and if we haven't, we will.   'Tis the nature of the beast. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: