Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

That last photo is a real treat.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work, Mobbsie.  I love the coloring of the woods.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely work Mobbsie. I can't wait to get back to the shipyard to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Been a bit backward in coming forward with my latest update I'm afraid, all I can say is that it's been an eventful couple of weeks and this old geezer doesn't usually do eventful.

Things have moved on a step or two since my last post and I can be accused of getting carried away, I promised to show the making up of the Shellroom but unfortunately this is now not possible. So I'm afraid we have from component parts to completed item in two pictures, If anybody wants to see how the Shellroom is constructed then may I suggest you pay a visit to Grants log in this section and he will most likely show how it's done, he's very good at that sort of thing.

So, we now have our Shellroom completed and all polyied up it's on to the next stage.

post-493-0-18172800-1427705002_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-97455600-1427705021_thumb.jpg

First up is the make up of the Mortar Pit Beams and Planking, it strikes me that with the dimensions of the Planking they should be referred to as Boards, they are quite substantial pieces of wood when taken in scale.

post-493-0-46982300-1427702975_thumb.jpg

Here are the component parts for the Mortar Pit Beams and Planking

post-493-0-23126500-1427705402_thumb.jpg

The Beams are not difficult to make up and are pretty straight up unless your me that is, the cut outs for the Shellroom supports were not quite lined up and so each had to measured up to fit, not difficult but a lot of too-ing and fro-ing. This shot is of the Beams being glued into place.

post-493-0-46290200-1427703302_thumb.jpg

All Beams are now firmly glued into position

post-493-0-66937500-1427703350_thumb.jpg

Next up we have the Mortar Pit Planks, These are made up of two different size Holly Planks, the Primary Planks are made from 1/4 x 3/16 and the Secondary Planks are 3/16 x 1/8 with the outer Planks being 1/4 x 1/8. I also used black paper for the caulking.The centre of the Secondary Planking was cut out using a hole cutter, the Treenails were drilled and made up from dust gained from sanding down the planks and using the slightly darker material, I think it works.

post-493-0-77095300-1427703452_thumb.jpg

The two planking's offered up to each other

post-493-0-76022900-1427703958_thumb.jpg

The Mortar Pit Boundary Timbers  were made up from 5/16 x 1/4 Pear and routed on my trusty Proxxon Router.

post-493-0-12283300-1427704079_thumb.jpg

The Primary and Secondary Planking have now been fitted into the cut outs on the Boundary Timbers and the Upper and Lower Deck Clamps have been glued into position.

post-493-0-46014300-1427704458_thumb.jpg

So there we are guys, your right up to date now. It seems a pretty good place to stop for the time being as I have now been given the job of restoring a Harwich Bawley which is a Shrimp Fishing Smack. I was looking for a secondary build and now I have it.

I also have to repair my Thames Barge which was damaged by the decorators during pre season work at the museum.

I will be starting a new log for the Bawley and hopefully restarting my old log for the barge, if it still exists, the damage to the barge is quite extensive and will require a full breakdown of all masts and rigging. Oh deep joy.

Hope you enjoy the update guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

post-493-0-36189200-1427704861_thumb.jpg

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Some more great work there Mobbsie - once again blazing the trail for the rest of the group coming along behind. :) Your other two builds might just slow you down enough for us to do a little catching up! ;)

Beautiful work, Mobbsie. Just beautiful !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

And mobbsie mason mortarred on ... :)

You really do go fast!!! Have another wounderful build waiting mate ... !? Looks good though, very sturdy and neat  ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Your 'to and froing' have certainly paid off.  Very nice, my friend.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great work Mobbsie. I danced to that tune whilst building that too. You got a good ear for the music :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Great Work, Mobbsie, terrific update.   :cheers:   It looks great.  I hope that your side projects slow you down.  I am still making frames.

Beautiful work.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

None of us (I think) like "eventful"... that's usually a bad sign.  :)    Great work on the shell room and mortar decks.   

Since those are "restorations", including the barge...I'd suggest putting them on the Scratch area and label them "Restoration".   ;)   I'm looking forward to seeing that Barge again... though I wish it wasn't broken. :(

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys for your kind remarks and comments and also for all who hit the like button.

Mark,  Thanks for the good word mate and yes when I'm ready to open a new log I will indeed put them in the Scratch section.

Jack, This repair and restoration will definitely slow me down, it really doesn't matter where you are on the build mate just so long as you are enjoying the journey.

Again thank you one and all.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!   sorry I lost track of your build Mobbsie....I had forgotten that it was in another part of the forum.   it looks amazing my friend!  very nicely done indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

It's update time again.

It's been a while since I worked on the Cross Section due mainly to working on the Bawley, that's completed now so it's back to the main build.

I was / am playing catch-up to Grant and so have been a bit busy in the shipyard.

The Mortar Pit Support Standards are made, fitted and have been given a coat of Poly, at the same time I made the Centre Line Stanchions, these were made from 1/4" x 1/4" Walnut, these were turned on my lathe. I only had to make three but it took me eight attempts to do it ( need more practice ). These have now been given a coat of Poly and have been dry fitted.

It's now time to tackle the Upper Deck Beams, I really was not looking forward to doing these as I know for sure they will show up my extremely poor wood working skills.

With Beams cut out and sanded down on the drum and disc sanders the top template was lined up and pressed into place, the notches then had to be cut out, instead of milling the cut-outs I used a sharp blade to cut the outer edge of the notch then used a home made chisel and 3mm chisel to remove the unwanted wood, this for is the best way because I have little faith in my drill stand, I don't think I will get the accuracy that is needed, Beams 1, 2 and 3 have so far been made and are dry fitted.

I did receive a phone call on Friday evening from my Granddaughter asking if I can make her a Pirate Ship, it doesn't have to be very big but it needs to float and be robust, and can you have it ready to be taken to school on Monday, don't panic.

This request was met fully and you will see the result, I was told when she came to take it that weights were going to be placed on it to see how much it would take before it either capsized or sank, wish I had know before I started it.

I must thank Grant at this stage for pointing out some errors in the plans, these errors have been validated and corrections being made, thanks mate.

Pictures

The Black Pig, Captain Pugwash's ship

post-493-0-46432500-1432029584_thumb.jpg

Pit Support Standards

post-493-0-15015300-1432029711_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-56574200-1432029731_thumb.jpg

2 of the 3 Stanchions dry fitted

post-493-0-33589200-1432029862_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-67703600-1432029893_thumb.jpg

The 3 Beams are dry fitted and should eventually match up with other Beams

post-493-0-79706500-1432030026_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-57352500-1432030049_thumb.jpg

So that's where I am guys, Beam building continues.

Any an all remarks and comments are welcome as usual.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

... extremely poor wood working skills.

Poor skills, indeed !!

I WISH I was as bad as you !!

:cheers:

Seriously great job, Mobbsie. 

Nice work on the Black Pig, too ... I had to double-check the photos to see which was the Bomb Vessel and which was the Pig.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Very nice job on both the Bomb Vessel and the Pirate Pig. Hope the Pig floated upright!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Guys,

Ken, she floated lovely with not a hint of a list, there is a good bit of ballast below though.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice work on the stanchions Mobbsie, and on the Black Pig. I hope your grand daughter was very pleased with it!

Deck beams are looking good too - nice neat carpentry there my friend. Please tell me it's just the camera angle, but I can't see the 45 deg notches in the aft face of beam three......

Edit: On closer inspection, with glasses on, the 45 deg notches look fine! Sorry for the heart attack! ;)

Edited by gjdale

Both projects looking prim and proper.  Hopefully the sea trials went well on the Pig.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Extremely flabbergasted ... I am, a floating Pig and some tremendous, marvelous work on that cross section. I would also be frustrated with such poor abilities.

Your grand daughter will most certainly be enthralled, else you can ship that pig to me, and for the cross section ... I just love it!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Beautiful work on the "rush job" for the Black Pig and on the cross-section, Mobbsie. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice Mobbsie !!!

Your skills improved by the day  :D  :D

Some need two years for a scratch build and you are doing it in one weekend....... ;)  ;)

Sjors

super work Mobbsie!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch