Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

Seriously nice work, Tony.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Ken

Be as bold as you like mate, I'm not tellin :D  :D

It's not a ship related build at all, I built a Norman Catapult a little while ago and decided that I would like to continue with that line of weaponry.

The Scorpione is a 16th Century Double Crossbow, it's a kit by Mantua and is 1:17 scale, I got it from Cornwall Model Boats. I have checked with Chuck and he's happy for me to start up a build log in Shore Leave so that will be up and running in the next few days, please feel free to pop in and have a look.

Augie, thanks for the good word mate, appreciate it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie,

I am paddling as fast as I can!  :wacko:  :wacko:  If I catch up can I still copy your homework? 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Okay, okay, I'm coming........... The dog ate my homework and now I have to re-do it. ;):)

Mobbsie, can do easy, checking up on that build. Looking forward to it. I had a buddy where I worked who built a model trebuchet. Said it was the heavy artillery of the Middle Ages. I thought it was pretty interesting. He wanted to build a real working one on my farm. The Admiral said no, might scare the horses.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Well she's out of the plastic bag and some progress has been made.

First job was to remove the Jig, this was done with some trepidation as I wasn't sure what was going to happen, at first it was quite tight but when she came out she popped like a cork out a bottle, and in one piece. She is surprisingly robust even at this stage.

Next up was to make a working stand, all I done was to cut my old Agamemnon stand down, I cut about 5 inches out of the length and the stand ends are in line with Frames "D1-D2 and Frame 12 so there is no need to place lateral planks. It will do the job nicely I think.

After that the outside of the frames needed sanding / fairing, not my most favourite job but it needs to be done. This was done with no problems or disasters.

There was some discussion about Treenailing the Footwails Strake's and Limber Board & Strake's, I wasn't going to do it but have now changed my mind, so I have now drilled 260 x 0.5mm holes in said Strakes and Boards, these will be filled with false treenails, a mixture of filler and sawdust.

So that's where I am at the moment, some pics.

Just out of the Jig prior to Fairing the Frames

post-493-0-04674800-1425485353_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-12890100-1425485413_thumb.jpg

After Fairing the Frames

post-493-0-99689700-1425485472_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-76824200-1425485537_thumb.jpg

Working Stand

post-493-0-39249700-1425485606_thumb.jpg

Template used for marking Treenails

post-493-0-69814400-1425485706_thumb.jpg

Some of the holes 0.5mm holes drilled

post-493-0-41744700-1425485786_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-72492000-1425485924_thumb.jpg

Colour testing for false Treenails

post-493-0-94575100-1425485980_thumb.jpg

So there we are, up to date.

Your comments, remarks and thoughts are more than welcome guys, good or bad.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Voila.....she's out of bondage!  Well done, mate!

Now, are you going to share with us which of the 9 treenail samples attract your favor???

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking great Mobbsie. Must be a good feeling to successfully remove her from the jig. Looking forward to comparing notes on treenail concoctions.

Looking good, Tony.  Bad comment?????   Nah... nothing bad there except what Grant said... what color treenails?

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Seriously lovely work there Tony, I think the #5 treenail color will complement the different woods - should be a bit subtle on both, but that is my preference......

Edited by ASAT

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your very kind comments and for hitting the like button.

To answer your questions regarding which colour I prefer for the treenails, I'm leaning towards No 5 but with a slight difference, the treenail will be ringed by a darker rim but no firm decision on the filler has been made just yet.

Once I've done the rims I am going to poly the planks to stop any bleed that may occur, a final decision will be made when all the tests are in which means I am going to have to wait for the only member of the group who is still working, I find this so inconsiderate, "but no rush Grant". :D  :D :D  :P  :P  :P . 

Andy,   

To answer your question mate, I had to pay £72.00 VAT and a handling fee of £13.50, I had to pay up front before the wood was delivered which   

peeved me. Once the wood was delivered these costs paled into insignificance because Jeff's wood is absolutely 1st class and he's done me proud.

Wayne,

Sorry to disappoint mate but that would send me right over the top. Your more than welcome to have a go for me. :D  :D :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I'm very interested in how you will make this treenailing process happen. I'm still a noobie in this field.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm interested as well.  That 'bleed' has always annoyed me.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Lads,

Bleeding,  in this case it's not so much bleeding it's more like smudging, after putting the pencil around the rim of the treenail hole I gently sanded them down and applied a clear Poly.

Hopefully when the hole is filled I will be able to work the mixture without the pencil lead and filler spreading onto and into the surrounding area, I haven't actually tried this before and it's a dangerous doing it without trials first.  To my mind it should work without any problems but that's famous last words, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Me Again

I have a couple of pics to hopefully explain a little better what I mean.

The first is of the back end with the holes rimmed with a lead pencil, hopefully you can see the pencil hardness, it's the hardest I could get and so far to my experience it doesn't spread.

The second is the same area but it's been given a coat of Poly, this has made it quite yellow and will I think have a large bearing on the filler choice, the holes appear to be completely black but when the filler is applied hopefully all that will be left will be a darker ring around the treenail. That's the theory anyway, we'll have to see.

Holes drilled with pencil rim.

post-493-0-01040000-1425569099_thumb.jpg

Same area with a coat of Poly

post-493-0-58239200-1425569181_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps guys.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hmmmmmmm..........

Interesting point you reveal about the changes in colour once the Poly is applied Mobbsie. Think I'm going to apply some Poly to my test pieces before deciding on filler colour.

Yours looks fabulous with poly applied, by the way! :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and likes guys, much appreciated.

Treenails are now complete but I'm not totally happy with them. They are on the large side, but in my defence they need to be because somebody's stolen the front and back ends of me boat.

Seriously, the mistake I made was at stage two, ringing the holes with pencil, I drilled the holes 0.5mm which is still slightly larger than scale but when I ringed the hole with pencil the hole was stretched even more, I hadn't considered that.

I used filler No 4, which was Plain white All Purpose Filler, Lime sawdust, Walnut sawdust and some Nut Brown fence stain. I'm not disappointed with the colour just the size of them but their here to stay and have been given two coats of Poly.

Pictures

post-493-0-69488800-1425746997_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-43340700-1425747016_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-51219800-1425747030_thumb.jpg

So now your right up to date, I welcome any and all comments guys, you know the score.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

In truth, had you not pointed them out, I would hardly have noticed your massively over-sized tre-nails.

:cheers:

Never fear, once you have added some ballast rocks and a few barrels, I would imagine they shall hardly be noticeable (a trick which we not-so-good modellers use).

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Mobbsie,

I didn't notice that tree trunk nails size you used. I did, however, enjoy the look and progress of your work.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hey Mobbsie,

She is looking great.  The treenails look terrific and the poly really makes it all jump.  If this is you slowing down I am in real trouble.  If you find the front and back ends let me know!!   :10_1_10:

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Hi Mobbsie,

Everything is looking really good. I sure am enjoying watching all these builds. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Guys,

Thanks to one and all for your very kind comments and hitting the like button.

A very happy birthday David ( scratch ), hope you get whatever it is you want mate.

Wayne, thanks very much for input on this matter and the information. It's leading me to believe that Nails were used rather than Bolts or Treenails.

post-493-0-64699300-1425894749_thumb.jpg

I shall be following Grants method and sizes and to be honest there is no difference between Bolts or Nails. Cheers Grant for steering me in the right direction.

Once I get my LoS I can carry on with them but not for just now. I will however be working on the Shell room and I must thank Rusty for the heads up on the need to be extra vigilant on the measurements with regard to the Shell Room and Mortar Pit Beams.

Thanks Guys and Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Time for a quick update.

Work has continued on the Shellroom.  The deck support beams were cut from Swiss Pear and placed in their location, you got it, they didn't fit, so a little adjustment was required to the Floor Riders, not with a little trepidation I took a razor saw to the Riders and trimmed off the excess, this time all was well and with a bit of gentle persuasion they fitted.

Next up was the Bomb Racks, very simple and gave no trouble, these were made from Swiss Pear, I made a very simple vice to hold them so that I could grind out the dip for the Bombs to sit in, this worked a treat and they were turned out in no time.

The Pillars gave me a little more trouble because I had to mill them in three's because my vice wouldn't open wide enough, some irregularity seeped in and a few cuts didn't line up, these had to be recut, they took me the best part of a day to complete.

Next up, the Shellroom deck, I made this from six pieces of Holly, I used black card for the corking, each deck has three pieces and once glued together they were sanded down to size. On refection the card is not the correct size, it's too big, but I quite like the effect and so it's going to stay.

The Support Beams, Deck beams and Deck were glued in position and given two coats of Poly. The racks were made up and also given two coats of poly.

The Bombs were made from a child's bracelet ( not my Granddaughters ), my Admiral bought them but they were silver, dilemma, what was I to do, the remit for the build was for no paint to be used, sorry guys I failed in this area, the Admiral bought some spray paint and so the bombs were duly painted ( GOLD ). Didn't check the tin did I, so this time I got it and duly sprayed the bombs.

The Bomb racks have been made up but I don't have any pics of them just yet, but another update will be following shortly.

The Upper Support Beams were cut so all that needs to be done is the actual construction.

Some pics

My simplified vice for holding the flat stuff

post-493-0-10270200-1426587829_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-47329700-1426587899_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-31655800-1426587946_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-26141800-1426587976_thumb.jpg

Most of the parts that make up the Shellroom still to be given a coat of Poly

post-493-0-02250200-1426588010_thumb.jpg

Support Beams and Deck Beams in place

post-493-0-38681000-1426588137_thumb.jpg

Support Beams and Decking placed and given two coats of Poly

post-493-0-23794600-1426588208_thumb.jpg

So that's it for now, next update will be soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie