Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

Hi Denis,

The jig is in the plans mate, the materials are very much down to the individual builder. Fortunately for me it wasn't that difficult to make.

With regard to the power tools, I'm finding out their limitations, tends to make life a little interesting.

Be good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie,

the curve of your keel rabbet confuses me. I thought that it is nearly a straight line midships.

Your frame is looking nice.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Christian,

Thanks for looking in mate,

To answer your question regarding the keel rabbet,  The rabbet starts to turn upwards from frame No 8, this follows the line of the frame No's  9, 10, 11 & 12. The Keel actually rises 1mm along it's length from 17mm to 18mm, the rabbet reflects this rise.

Hope that answers your question without confusing you.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thank you Sherry, that's really kind of you.

I will try to make a decent job of it but fear my carpentry skills may not be upto the mark, I will however try my best, as we all do.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

thanks for your explanation. But I can't follow you.

If I have a look at the original drawing at the NMM (see here) the rabbet doesn't have a curved line.

You're sure that you do not misinterpret a line on your drawing?

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Hi Christian,

I have looked again at the drawings and have come to the same conclusion as before, there is a definite rise in the keel rabbet.

I have taken a few pictures which hopefully will show you this rise.

This is the whole Page                                                     

post-493-0-93821400-1416409909_thumb.jpg 

The section with the rise is shown in the black box

post-493-0-20951000-1416409930_thumb.jpg

No1 is the keel and shows the end profile of the rabbet

post-493-0-69895600-1416409943_thumb.jpg

I hope Christian that you can now see that I have followed the drawings correctly. I can see where your coming from and it does look as though there is a difference, but as I'm building from the drawings I have to go with that.

Hope that helps mate.

I forgot to mention earlier that with Grants help and generosity I will be posting an update of my first complete double frame.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Jan

Welcome aboard mate, glad you dropped in.

Sjors has the complete franchise on Popcorn machines in MSW, look out anybody who tries to muscle in, his empire is growing so it's impossible to know for sure just how many he has, I'm scared to ask. :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

now it's clear, but I don't have any idea why the author of the drawings choose this solution. It is in my knowledge not common.

I've had a short look at the prototype build of Mike at MSB, but could not find a picture of this area.

I would suggest to build frame 12 and check if it is on top of the rabbet ot your model.

Regards Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for the suggestion mate, I have placed the 2 double frames I have onto position 12 and 8 on the keel and if anything the rabbets not high enough. I know their not frame 12 but their almost identical, I don't plan on making that frame just yet. The way I'm going is to make frames 0, A, B, C and D, I will then make up the rest of the doubles that's No's 12, 8 and 4, then fill in with the remaining singles, so it's going to be a while.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Time really flies and boy am I due an update.

Thanks for all the comments guys and for those that hit the like button.

I've experienced a bit of aggro fitting the frames into my jig, the jig seemed to be too big and the frames flopped around inside when fitted.

It turned out to be two things, firstly the top cut outs on the jig were deep and so did not hold the frames as it should, secondly my centre line on the jig was out of alignment, bearing in mind this was my first practice piece it's hardly surprising.

I was also having a bit of trouble with my glue, it just wasn't holding the 9 parts of each frame together. Following advice from my build partners I changed the glue and although it's early days this new glue seems to be doing the job.

The glue I was using was Ever Build 502 which stood me in good stead for the time I was building the Agamemnon, this glue only has a life of 12 months after the date of manufacture and unfortunately there is no date on it, anyway I got some Evo-Stik weatherproof wood adhesive, seems to be good stuff. 

The long and short of it is that a new Frame Jig was made, this time properly and it's now doing the business.

Both Grant and I differ on this next area, it's only athetics, I wont go into what Grants doing but I am not putting treenails in the frames. Looking at AOT's there are bolts around the bottom section of each frame, I decided to use 0.7mm oval head brass pins for these bolts with 0.7mm flat head brass pins on the revers side. I decided to leave these brass colour, you know me, that's the look I like.

Enough chat, I have a few pics showing you where I'm at, please, if you have any comments / remarks don't be afraid to ask or make suggestions. I'm here to learn.

The first two pics are of the new jig

post-493-0-53085200-1417604923_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-06571100-1417604943_thumb.jpg

These are the first 5 frames 0, A,  B, C and D, 0 and D frames are doubles

post-493-0-41677400-1417604985_thumb.jpg

This is the 0 frame showing the bolts.

post-493-0-26299300-1417605002_thumb.jpg

This is the jig with the 5 completed frame in position

post-493-0-04093300-1417605019_thumb.jpg

So your right up to date now guys, destructive then constructive comments are always welcome.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Great to see an update Tony! The new jig certainly looks the business, and your frames are looking great too. :) I'll be doing some tests with copper bolts this weekend, so we'll compare notes after that.

Those frames look fantastic, no gaps at all and beautifully shaped, can't imagine them coming out any better!  Looks like you've been doing this for years.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Those frames look wonderful!  Now, did you go all out and add stopwaters etc? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can understand fully the challenge on the framing jig - from what I understand, if that is out of alignment it will come back to bite you down the road - often painfully!

Enjoy the build, Tony -

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

very nice work in filling the jig........looking very good  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I thought you said you needed to up your game?? Those frames look great to me!! So are you bolting all the double frames? i looked at the aots and I am even more confused, the chocks are not in the same locations and the chocks themselves are treenailed / bolted? It looks like the bolt heads inmy scale would be 1.2 mm or so.... Wher did you source your pins? I do love the effect of them though....

So first scratch build... you claim.   Looks like you've doing this all your life.  The frames and jig look great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I would like to wish all my friends and members of NGR'sMSW a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Thanks guys for all your help and support during the past year.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

Just catching up, I see that you're enjoying your conversion to the darkside my friend, beautiful work Sir, that is a wonderful looking set of frames! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

About time for an update, it's been a while.

Now what was I doing ? Ahh yes that's it, FRAMES,  well frame production is still going on all be it slowly what with the holidays and all but I'm pleased to say I only have 1 single ( 11 ) and 1 double ( 12 ) to do, they are all cut out and ready for final adjustments and making up.

Talking with Grant there has been a change in the method of holding these frames while being constructed, where I used pins to hold the pieces in place I am using Grants method using double sided tape.

This method allows for more frames to be made at once because no pin board is required, I only have a single pin board. I don't have a picture of the new method but should anybody want to see it Grant has posted some in his log. 

I also had a problem when the frames were placed direct onto the template in as much as I was getting ink in the joints when gluing the frames together, I got around this by using a piece of celotape over the template joint. This has cured that problem so all I need to concentrate on is getting a good fit with the wedges, (still trying to get them right ).

Grant and I were also discussing which finish to use because each stage will need to be finished before moving on. Minwax Satin seems to the favoured choice but unfortunately it's not sold in the UK, at least to my knowledge, so I thought I would use Tung oil, I applied some to a practice frame made from Swiss Pear and although it looked OK it is quite dark, I looked to see what is the UK equivalent to Minwax and it turned out to be Clear Polyurethane, I already had some of this and tried it out although it was gloss and I wanted satin, it's a lot lighter and does look better so another trip to the hardware store and that's now sitting waiting to be used.

I only have a few pics mainly because frames are frames and have been shown before.

My old system of frame holding

post-493-0-57979300-1420908617_thumb.jpg

The next 3 pics are where I am at the moment

post-493-0-66935000-1420908719_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-36665300-1420908738_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-96597600-1420908755_thumb.jpg

On the right is the Tung oil, left is Polyurethane

post-493-0-33446700-1420908798_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-01623800-1420908835_thumb.jpg

So that's it guys, a bit disappointing really, I will post again when all the frames are complete although there will still be a fair bit of work to do on them before moving onto the next stage.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Great progress Mobbsie. I'm glad the double sided tape worked out for you, and also that you found a finish that you like. I need to extract the digit and get a move on now to catch up!

Good progress Mobbsie. Frames look great. I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution to the finish. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hey mobbsie,

Terrific progress.  You are flying.  My plan is to use poly as well.

Great work my friend.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com