HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Thank you very much, again!

Matt, I profiled my camera for indoor lighting yet color correction is still sometimes needed. I guess I should blame the camera. :D

WYZWYK, Photos are great for covering up "slight imperfections".

druxey, I bet that you have a shoe box full of those cartoons. Keep 'em coming.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

The making and fitting of the bowsprit proved to be a very interesting project along with a few challenges along the way. .

The square stick was marked off on opposite sides every two inches for the length of the bowsprit. Using the plan as a guide a 7-10-7 tapered template was used to mark the bowsprit width at each of the 2 inch locations. Then a ships curve was used to join these marks along the entire length of the bowsprit. The disc sander was used to remove the wood outside the tapered line. The process was repeated on the two remaining sides.

post-8351-0-85225500-1472572367_thumb.jpg

Using my hobby vise, which now has removable rubber jaws, the bowsprit was filed down to achieve the octagon shape. Care was taken not to file past the lines while keeping the surfaces as flat as possible.

post-8351-0-59345700-1472573754_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit was rounded off, a task easily accomplished using the "shoe shine" technique with sandpaper. So far so good, I thought. .

Fitting the bowsprit into the hull proved to be a very time consuming process. The bowsprit has to be slid over the deck fittings at a downward angle. Once clear it can be lowered into the bowsprit bit. Problem was, the bowsprit was rubbing on the bottom of the pin rail at the bow making it difficult to move it forward. I had no choice other than to remove the pin rail. Once the hole was completed, the end of the bowsprit could be lowered into the bit. The hole shape was close though there was a bit too much slop where it exited the hawse plate. This was unacceptable, so I removed the plate and made a new one after the bowsprit was affixed to the bit. This proved to be another challenging task as the plate becomes very fragile as the hole is enlarged. I fixed the hole fit inside the hull with some filler and paint. I added a new pin rail from thinner 1/32" sheet which now sits flush with the cap rail.

It goes to show that there must be some measurement which was slightly off thus making it difficult to do what would seem to be a straight forward task. Anyway, I'm happy with the result overall.

post-8351-0-23358100-1472575001_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-16181700-1472575012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Thank you, druxey! Spreading it out over a four day period made it easier to digest.

Oh, I almost forgot. .

I used the same striping tape here as I did on the rudder. It was cut to a width of 3/32". The eyebolts are made from 24 gauge black annealed wire. I still need to darken the inside of the sheave and Poly the bowsprit.

post-8351-0-20309400-1472580117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Thanks, Erik! The great work of yours and others has inspired me to do better. One of the things Chuck said that stood out in my mind was about how slowly he works and I know it's something that you do too? I started doing this in the last year and I'm glad I did. It seems like every time I start to speed things up the results end up being disappointing.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the mast assembly over the last few weeks including the trestletrees and crosstrees.

Making the lower mast was straight forward with the exception of its square section at the top. I thought it best to try and delineate and complete the square section first before doing any rounding of the lower section. I made the saw cuts being careful not to cut too deep. I used an off cut to establish the proper depth for each cut.

post-8351-0-20052000-1474570434_thumb.jpg

Once that was done, I filed between the two cuts to flatten the area just enough to allow the trees to fit nicely over the mast. The trees sit at a slight angle which was accounted for when filing this section. A tenon was later added for the mast cap.

post-8351-0-18993300-1474570440_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-13720800-1474576847_thumb.jpg

The lower section of the upper mast was then rounded off using the same method as described for the bowsprit. The upper mast was then completed. Again care was taken to get a nice fit when the octagon shape at the lower section of this mast is inserted into the trees. There is also a 1/16" strip preventing the mast from falling through the trees.

post-8351-0-12976900-1474570449_thumb.jpg

A few more photos showing the boom rest, a few cleats and the upper mast.

post-8351-0-22163000-1474570459_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-79788900-1474570468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Very, Very Nice! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Excellent work.  And the photos don't show how outstanding your workmanship really is.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thank you so much for the kind words and "Likes". I still need to add the mast hoops, cheeks, etc; before I can complete the mast assembly and its painting. Hopefully this will all get done within the next few weeks. I'm anxious to see it in a completed state.

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on the boom, gaff and yards lately. All of these were made from square sticks. I made a simple jig to make sure that the spacing of the cleats were the same from the ends of each yard.

post-8351-0-34811200-1476896535_thumb.jpg

These will eventually be painted black. .

post-8351-0-54251600-1476896983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Masting and yards are excellent work Mike,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike, very clean work as always. Your longboat build is also one of my go to logs for my longboat build in progress. On another note- I am also waiting on the completion of your Mayflower! It's the cleanest log on that ship I've found. I plan Mayflower as my first ship build. After Chuck's longboat and pinnace. -Steve

Thank you Nils, Bob, Steve and for all the "Likes". .

Steve, I definitely think that the Model Shipways Mayflower kit is worth considering as a first ship build. You might want to pick one up at the end of the year when a number of their kits are sold at highly reduced prices. The main reason I stopped the build was due to some wood issues I was having. I purchased boxwood from a supplier who, for some unknown reason, had great difficulty cutting a straight piece of strip wood. Each piece had to be painstakingly sanded before it could be used and my fingers were raw from doing so. There was so much waste, 30-40% perhaps, that I no longer have enough wood to finish the build properly. The wood I'm now getting from Jason over at Crown Timberyard is superior in every way but color wise would never match what I was using before. Never say never but as of now it's off the table.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a stupid question but ...

Back in Sept. (entry #225), you were making your lower mast. You wanted to "delineate and complete the square section" before you rounded of the rest of the mast. You made saw cuts - and you "used an off cut to establish the proper depth".

What is an "off cut"?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ken,

The mast stick was longer than needed. After cutting the mast to the proper length, I used the off cut from that stick to measure for the proper depth of the square section.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I really need to do is to raise the height of my work table to around 44". Sitting while bending over creates too many back issues for me. Once that's done, hopefully later this week, I will start on the bobstay rigging and tackle. Meanwhile I did manage to finish up most of the mast work.

Cheeks where made as described in TFFM Vol. 4 pg. 16

post-8351-0-15838500-1478816545_thumb.jpg

Scrap boxwood was glued to a dowel for shaping

post-8351-0-88395400-1478816554.jpg

post-8351-0-07800500-1478816565_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-03875400-1478816571_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-34942900-1478816578_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-92758600-1478816588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Thanks guys!

Chuck, since the mast isn't permanently attached to the ship, I will bring Cheerful to the next meeting. Hopefully, you will bring yours too!

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I want to be in your club!  But then I'd have to move to Jersey...   :P

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.