HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Aha!  So that's where the name Stuntflyer comes from.  I suspected it might have something to do with model airplanes, but I wasn't sure.  It's always nice to get a look at the shops of other model builders.  Yours looks first rate as it goes well with the first rate looking model you have going.  I have to say I really enjoy your posts Mike.  Keep 'em coming.  Enjoy the long holiday weekend my friend.  I worked on my model this morning, watched college football all afternoon, and this evening I will be out drinking and dancing with friends, celebrating and getting the jump on another birthday when the clock strikes 12:00 AM.  Happy Holiday to all my friends here at MSW.  We surely do have so much to be thankful for.  Enjoy!

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

I've been doing a lot of experimentation over the past week trying to learn how to get clean looking rigging that doesn't look bulky and out of scale. With some mentoring along the way, I think that I have something that looks close to what I had envisioned.

The bobstay was made with .025 brown rope served with 50wt thread. http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/serving-machine.php. 1.5mm thin wall brass tubing was used to make thimbles which were blackened and used at the end of each. http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/albmbt15.htm. I had to remove and replace the two eyebolts from the bowsprit as they were just too small to share a hook and block.

The bowsprit guys were made with .025 brown rope served with 50wt thread. I needed more room for the multiple wraps of the lanyard (.018 light brown), so those eyebolts were removed and replaced as well. I will be leaving all of the rope ends long for now should I need to change the tension later.

post-8351-0-82723200-1480528555_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-60960200-1480536509_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-29696700-1480528605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Awesome work Mike,

a lovely cutter, the plank fitting to the bowpost looks fantastic and professional made

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike,

This looks really good . . . and passes the test of enlarged high resolution photography!  You've made an exponential leap forward with the look of your rigging when compared with the rigging on your longboat. 

One question, where did you buy your 50wt thread?

Thanks,

Erik

Thank you all for the comments and "Likes"

Erik: That's interesting. I hadn't thought about comparing the Longboat rigging to Cheerful. What I do know is how bad the MS rope was to work with compared to using Chuck's rope now.

I'm sometimes tempted to shoot farther away though these hi-res photos do allow you to see mistakes that otherwise might be missed. ;)

Here is the thread link. https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/product/so-fine-50-467-buffalo-550-yds-polyester-thread/

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Very clean work Mike. and thanks for the info on the camera.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to the thread.  Did you also use that brand for seizing the tan colored rope?  I think I used 30wt (larger diameter) for seizing on my longboat and thought the thread was too large a diameter. Replacing the MS rope with Chuck's rope was the one aftermarket addition I made to the longboat kit.  It's sooo much easier to work with!

I've noticed with a lot of my modeling that I don't see the mistakes and imperfections until I look at a photo of the build.  I can't tell you the number of times over the years that I've chosen to not post photos, or take them from a different angle, to avoid showing imperfections . . . that no one else would notice anyway.

Erik 

Erik: I'm using Chuck's Light Brown instead of Tan. I'm seizing with Gutermann #3880 100% cotton thread. It's about 50wt as well. If you decide to go with Tan you can use their #3756. I got mine from a Michaels store near by. I'm waiting for Superior threads to re-stock 60wt and 80wt Dark Brown. I would like to try these for seizing or serving thinner rope.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to take a look at what the local Michaels has in stock.  Not sure why I'm trying to figure this stuff out now . . . I'm a wee bit far from the rigging stage at this point.  :)

Erik

If not Michaels then there is a Joann store, I think, at 2440 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302-6709. They should have a complete selection.

Mike

My girlfriend Ofelia and I had a chance to visit the model ship exhibit at the Morris County Library today. http://mclib.info/Lots of interesting models to see and admire. The exhibit extends sometime into January for those that might be interested.

The rigging work continues after fitting the boom, with the topping lift and its tackle. The topping lift is .025 Light Brown and the tackle is .018 Light brown. All of the blocks are 1/4"

post-8351-0-08159500-1480894336_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the photo, the main sheet needs some tightening up.

post-8351-0-77434900-1480894115_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-05473300-1480894344_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

druxey: Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't adjust the lift without redoing the main sheet. I'm surprised just how much rope is needed for this, almost 18", to play it safe. Afterwards I had to shorten the lift where it meets the tackle.

post-8351-0-25132200-1480968538_thumb.jpg

While I was at it, I corrected the tackle by crossing the rope as shown in Chuck's post. A small but noticeable change.

post-8351-0-29852200-1480968545_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to post this small update as I prepare to complete the gaff and its halliard work. The strops on the gaff are done using thimbles and .018 Brown rope. The flag halliard tackle uses a 1/8" single block.

post-8351-0-39112200-1481594678_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-55840500-1481601248_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike:

Your model looks great. The details and general finish are excellent.

Russ

While looking at some photos today, I realized that I forgot to mention a technique that I used for seizing the served rope shown in my post #279. The idea was passed onto me during a Saturday get together at Chuck's. With the heavier served rope a typical seizing might look too heavy. Here is how I did it while maintaining a thinner profile.

Before gluing, the end of the rope is cut to an angle similar to what is shown here. I like using the G-S Hypo Cement because it grabs and sets quickly.

post-8351-0-27510200-1481678110.jpg

A single overhand knot starts things off

post-8351-0-03583300-1481678117.jpg

The thread is wrapped to the end of the glue joint and finished off.

post-8351-0-71498300-1481678521.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I've used a variation of that technique for some time. Instead of a separate serving, I leave the service extra long at the angle-cut end of the line, then continue wrapping once the glue has set.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Very clean, Mike.

Maury

Mike,

Thanks for sharing the photos.  VERY nice finish on all fronts as your attention to the little details is paying off. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

When I first started rigging Cheerful It all seemed a bit overwhelming and I wasn't having all that much fun, honestly. I had no real plan for completing the Peak Halliard so I decided to concentrate on one task at a time and try not to think about all that had to be done. Making a decent looking hook, for example, required a lot more effort than I originally thought. I spent the whole day trying different methods and threw out a lot of wire. Making more wouldn't hurt, but the process did get easier and I'm happy with the results overall. Taking things really slow has made the rigging process a whole lot more enjoyable.

post-8351-0-09626400-1481908316_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-34558400-1481908975_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-30451900-1481908332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer