Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

That looks vvvery  good.  Yes it was inevitable.  But as a scratch project what you have left to do is pretty straight forward. This is the fun part so enjoy it and move ahead.  

Chuck 

Looking very nice! I was wondering what those seats would look like.

Dirk - With all the customer work I'm surprised that Chuck has managed to complete as much as he has.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks so much Dirk, Chuck, Mike and the "likes".

You're so right Chuck, this is the fun part and i will enjoy it -- but I'd still like you to get back ahead. :D  :D  :D

Mike, the seats are only three pieces -- front, one side and top -- but needed a fair amount of fitting, even using the templates.

Bob

Great job as always.  I have to ask - Are those "seats of ease"? 

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks again Sjors.

Thanks so much Thomas and the "likes".

Thanks for the good wishes George and the same to you and yours. I will take this opportunity to offer the happiest of holiday wishes to all of my friends on MSW.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Nothing wrong with getting ahead of your build buddy mate, it just means you get to make the mistakes first.

Lovely work Bob.

Have a great Christmas and a successful 2016.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I've got a houseful of family company for the holidays, but have been able to sneak in a little modeling time. The result is that I've made and added the knees at the stern, and some cleats to the bulwarks, the stern frames and the knees. I also added the horse for the boom sheets

The knees were cut from 1/8" boxwood sheet using card templates and were then beveled to fit. I chose to paint them black, because they just looked better that way than in natural wood or red (at least to my eye). I don't know what is "correct".

The cleats were made from boxwood strip and shaped with files. I painted them to match the surfaces to which they are attached. They are pinned and glued.

Next up will be the rudder.

Bob

post-186-0-24970200-1451167144_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-86931400-1451167163_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-58627000-1451167193_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09200700-1451167213_thumb.jpg

Black looks like the right choice. Nice progress!

Quick question: usually a small vessel such as a Revenue cutter had only one seat of ease, often to port. The other 'seat' was actually a locker. Was this not the case with Cheerful?

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Bob,

I don't know what's "correct" either but I sure like the way you did them! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much druxey, Rusty and Tim for the nice comments and thanks also to the "likes". Always appreciated.

Druxey, I don't know the answer, other than to say that I followed Chuck's drawing.

Bob

First, a very happy and healthy New Year to all, and one filled with modelling pleasure.

Now, for my first update of the New Year. I have made and mounted the rudder. The rudder itself is from Chuck's laser cut framing set, shaped with sanding sticks. After some indecision, I chose to paint the top portion of the rudder red to match the previously done stern post extension piece. I did , however decide to leave the tiller natural wood. The tiller was cut from boxwood sheet using a glued on copy of the plan as a template. The cutout wood blank was shaped with files and sanding sticks.

Since I don't like working with metal, I chose to do the iron work in black painted paper, with wire used for the actual mounting. This included the pintels and gudgeons and the bands at the rudder head. It doesn't show well (if at all) in my photos, but there are bolt heads, made from tiny pin heads drilled and inserted in the pintels and gudgeons.

With this work completed, it is my intention to work from the stern forward on the interior detailing. The first task will be to make, install and rig the first four guns at the aft end.

Bob

post-186-0-74588700-1451734891_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77839400-1451734921_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23841400-1451734952_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59755100-1451734979_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-66641100-1451735028_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09507500-1451735084_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Your rudder looks great!

I also have an aversion to metal work. What type of paper did you use? Is it a certain weight of card stock?

Thank you,

Tim 

Thanks so much Nils, Tim, George and the "likes".

Tim, the pintles and gudgeons are made from Manila file folder card. The bands on the rudder head are from masking tape, which I secure with a dab of glue at the ends.

Bob

Happy New Year!

I like your method for making your rudder and tiller.  I think I will emulate it on my model

Great job (as usual).

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Nice job on your rudder Bob.  A bit of advice on enhancing a rudder the next time you make one.  After shaping it take a very thin pen and a straight edge and draw lines along the length of the piece. 

David B