Cutter Cheerful 1:48 by rafine - Finished

Sweet work on the rudder, Bob. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks so much Wes, Ken, David, Grant and Mark for the nice comments and also the "likes". Greatly appreciated.

David, I would have been inclined to do so, but Chuck's plans do not show a built up rudder.

Bob

Since I hate doing repetitive tasks, I tend to break them down into segments. Thus, rather than doing all of the guns at once,  I'm moving along the deck doing the detailing for each segment. Starting at the stern my first segment involved the first four guns, some bulwark cleats and some deck ringbolts.

The guns were made up using Chuck's carriage kits and brass barrels, to which I added the necessary eyebolts and ringbolts, made from brass wire and blackened. The quoins were made from blackened brass belaying pins. The cap squares are paper. I chose to leave the carriages natural wood with a poly finish. After assembly, the guns were installed and rigged with breeching lines and tackles (those blocks are very small and hard to handle for arthritic fingers  :() . Lastly, I made up rope coils and glued them in place.

The next segment will include the next four guns, the pumps and the entry ladders.

Bob

post-186-0-35343200-1452175889_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-62277000-1452175917_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57682200-1452175948_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30781000-1452175987_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26695500-1452176029_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38422300-1452176100_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37437200-1452176145_thumb.jpg

Bob -- I like the natural look of those carriages!  And let me follow up Erik's question about the blocks with one on the rigging line:  what diameters did you use? 

As someone currently engaged in that repetitious task of gun rigging, I like your idea of breaking it up into units (a light has gone off in my head!)

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Erik, Dirk, Martin and the "likes".

I had asked Chuck about the sizes of the blocks and line to use (I am using his blocks and rigging line). He said either the 2.5 or 3mm blocks and the .012 line. I went with the 3mm blocks because the 2.5mm were just beyond my physical capabilities at this point. Frankly, the 3mm are right at the edge. I tried the .012 line, but even with drilling out the holes in the blocks, I was having trouble, so I went with his .008 line, which worked well. Truthfully, I chalk up my experience to the ever increasing effects of age and arthritis.  :(  :angry:

Bob

Hello Bob,

I would be interested in knowing your method for making the eyebolts.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Many of us know all about age and arthritis. I find a selection of watchmakers' tweezers invaluable. Regardless, your work is terrific!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Bob,

just lovely, :) :) :)

guns, carriages and related rigging are wonderful, that cutter will be a "jewel"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very nice set of teeth there Bob. I empathise regards working with tiny blocks. I just made the same decision, opting to use 3mm blocks rather than 2.5mm on my cross section.

Thanks so much Mike, Erik, druxey, Nils and Grant for the kind words and comments and thanks also to the "likes".

Mike, I put a small drill bit in a vise, butt end up, and wrap wire around it, then snip it off and pinch with a tweezer. I must fess up that I have been known to resort to ready mades from Model Expo when I tire of making them, particularly the very small ones.

Erik, I am using the .035 line for the breeching ropes.

Druxey, I'm not familiar with watchmaker's tweezers, but I'll look into them.

Bob

Real nice work Bob.  The carronades look great and I too like the natural color of the gun carriages,  I'm also starting to feel the effects of old age as it relates to model ship building.  Arthritis in the hands and neck and difficulty seeing sometimes limit time spent in the shop, especially if its a repetitive task and I'm hunched over.  Now where did I put that bottle Tylenol?

Tom

Check out watchmakers' tweezers on eBay. I've collected a variety of shapes that can do things that would be impossible with fingers alone.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

These are great looking guns, Bob! What wood are the gun carriages made of? I am just fiddling with the Syren long guns myself, so your current pictures are a nice help for me  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I've now completed the next segment of the interior detailing. This included four more guns, the pumps, the entry ladders, four deck ringbolts and the interior scupper openings.

The guns were made and rigged as on the previous guns.

The pumps were made from boxwood strip.  Square pieces were drilled out and then shaped to octagon with sanding sticks. The handles and their mounting brackets were shaped from strip and pieces of wire added. The bands are black painted paper. The drains are bits of black painted tube, inserted in drilled holes.

The ladders are boxwood strip. They were very simply made, without use of slotting tools or fancy jigs. As a result, they are certainly not perfect, but after a couple of tries, I was satisfied.

The scupper openings are drilled holes, which do not go through to the exterior openings, but match up closely with them. They were painted graphite with a toothpick.

The ringbolts again are blackened brass.

Bob

post-186-0-04754400-1452865931_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94693100-1452865959_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07516900-1452866028_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29171100-1452866063_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88649400-1452866113_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-72493500-1452866184_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28345800-1452866214_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02061000-1452866239_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84987800-1452866262_thumb.jpg