Stag by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827 - Finished

Just don't hang around to meet the 'dropper'.  :D

Back to training the spiders.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sorry Popeye, I see where you are coming from, but that was not the intent - you're a braver man than me if you wish to train snakes to do anything but scare away any unwanted visitors - most of them are far scarier than the spiders :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

no pat.....that's quite alright........no creatures in my wharf!  LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Oops!  First thing I did this morning when I got the Stag out at the museum was to start 'sweating up' the shrouds prior to finally securing them.  Blow me down if the lower deadeye strap pin on number two starboard didn't carry away when I put a bit of pressure on it! :o  :(

post-5-0-89381100-1368603090_thumb.jpg

I've no real idea what happened as it was fine last time I touched it, and when I went to try and drill the old pin out of the upper end of the chainplate there didn't seem to be a pin in there.  Very strange!! :huh:

Oh, well!  A bit of fiddling with some copper wire for a strap and another piece for a pin and I was back in business.

post-5-0-70169500-1368603093_thumb.jpg

A little black paint and all was well again - just don't tell the foreman rigger or there'll be hell to pay! ;)

post-5-0-97696200-1368603095_thumb.jpg

Once the shroud was back on and they were all tensioned correctly on both sides, I put in some time making a start on the ratlines.  Hopefully I can finish them off next time I'm in.

post-5-0-32286800-1368603099_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-91151800-1368603101_thumb.jpg

John

that's an expression I use  AK-k-k-k-k-k!  perhaps you forgot to put a pin in..........or maybe........gremlins :o   ya hate'em right!!........well,  I do myself!!!   quick fix.........problem solved......no harm,  no foul!   looking great.   I gotta get better at making chain plates....I like the way you did it.    more rigging.............more!!!   I love it! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice fix John.  And darned, those ratlines just look natural.

Well done.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

great recovery John.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi John,

Good fix on the deadeye my friend, she's looking a real lady.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Well done.  She's looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Good fix, John. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your encouragement!  I have to say it wasn't a nice feeling to see that pair of deadeyes just dangling in the air!  The situation wasn't helped by one of the security blokes wandering past while I was trying to fix it and having a look.  "What's happening?"  "The pin somehow came out of this deadeye strap."  "Hmmm.  Obviously a totally incompetent model maker."  Grins and walks off while contemplate the penalties for 'securitycide'. :)

John

John, thank you for showing me that even a pro such as yourself can make a mistake, and recover from it. I am fighting with my own shroud lines atm, think they are winning at the moment! But you give me hope that persistence and patience will pay off.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I know the word shows up a lot.  But when you top gun shipwrights provide inspiration to others, you've more than built a fine model.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi John,

Just catching up with your wonderful build, she's really coming along Sir, very nice fix on the pin, and rigging looks fabulous :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I have been enjoying your  build log. I built a cutter too and I find them fascinating. So much sail on such a small hull. With all that canvas the small crew would have had a very difficult and dangerous time of it I think, more so than the larger crews of larger vessels. The margin for error when handling the lines would have been very narrow with the tremendous forces involved. The bowsprit has to be the  most dangerous bowsprit on any vessel, so complex an arrangement, so many lines converging upon its tip, so much at stake if it breaks. I get the strong feeling that if any one line parted the whole rig would go by the board in an instant. As for the comfort of life aboard? Imagine off watch life below decks on one of these vessels, even on the nicest of days the interior must have been very uncomfortable.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Robbyn - call it a draw with your shrouds at the moment. :)  The trick is to make sure that your lower deadeyes are really well secured (which one of mine turned out not to be :angry: ) and to use a spacer to get the distance between the deadeyes even - a length of hard wire bent at bothe nds is sufficient for this.

Augie and Aldo - thanks for the engouragement gents

Frankie - I agree that cutters must have been beasts to sail - and very uncomfortable - but many of these seamen literally grew up at sea.  When last in the U.K. I was talking with some people from the Norfolk Wherry Trust about the sailing of those craft.  They are very different craft, I know, but they informed me that they were sailed by a man and a boy.  The crunch was that a 'man' could be as young as 14 years old and a 'boy' as young as 6!

John

John all your shenanigans with the shrouds is pulling at my soul. I am trying to get it right myself and it is tough. Kudos to you Sir for getting it done.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John,

What the others have said about inspiration.  I just find it amazing the details that your putting in a 1:96... and then there's issues with strengthening.  And you do it all in public.  I don't think I'd have that kind of courage to let every man, woman, child and dog passing by to watch. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

It's a bit un-nerving being out in the open when you first start, but it's actually good fun - especially with the small kids who are interested and sometimes ask the most amazing questions!  One of the main problems is in firstly choosing a model that can be built away from your main stash of odd tools and secondly in planning what you hope to achieve for the day and making sure that you have all the bits with you.

John

The discussion about how hard these craft are to sail is supported by the recent incident on the Baltimore Clipper II. She lost her bow sprit in heavy weather off the coast of France. As a result she also lost most of each of the masts. Pretty close tolerances and when you have lost the forestay.. Oh my! :huh:

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

And to make it even more fun on the Revenue cutters, Floyd, they were only allowed into port for stores or repairs - other than that they were supposed to be at sea on patrol, no matter what the weather.

John

John,

You may have said on MSW 1, but I cannot find anything in the present thread as to the size of the stag.

So what was the length on deck of the stag?  At 1:96 it's fantastic.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

.  The crunch was that a 'man' could be as young as 14 years old and a 'boy' as young as 6!

John

How times have changed!

We can tend to cotton wool our kids a bit too much these days.

But worse still - no personal responsibility - its always someone else's fault or society as a whole - or lack of 'entertainment" when kids (so called grown ups for that matter too)  mess up. 

Imagine the responsibility of the above mentioned man of 14!! And anything he did or didn't do - he would of had to wear the consequences. Not many others to blame if your out to sea with a crew consisting of a 6 year old!!! I guess they just accepted it as their lot in life.

I certainly don't advocate going back to hard times like that - but there must be a bit of a balance.

This is still a wonderful build..... bit hard for me to imagine the scale of all the tiny blocks and stuff.... I am starting to think I might head UP scale.. maybe 1:48 - not tinier :) :)

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch