IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Hughe boats, RGL. Mine are much smaller, at least when I look at them ;) Where did you find that clear plastic airplane. I've been searching for that for months!! You must be getting screwed eyes by now ... lovely result though. I had to do some funnel repairs, rubbed of some PE when I didn't pay attention. Now I know why I should have garded it in a container!

Cheers mate, enjoy your beer

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

the boats look good Greg........really doesn't matter what plastic the plane is molded from......it'll be painted anyway.   could be a Japanese secret weapon.......the invisible plane ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's from a discontinued Fujimi seaplane set which is hard(ish) to find. As they are hard clear plastic they are very brittle and horrible to work with and the only set that you can add the rainbow models cockpit sets without major surgery. Tamiya give you 2 sets of each aircraft as well which are quite nice as well as the two sets from the practice kit which are fairly basic. 

The new AOTS says Yamato only carried the Mitsubishi Pete and not the monoplane but I may yet cheat and do one up. 

I should have enough to do up 2 with their wings folded (Dr Google has very little information on this) and have them in the hangar well and a couple on the catapults. 

I know now that they got rid of them all for the last mission but....

painting and weathering them them will be a challenge and I have to do some research on this stuff people use to stick decals down. 

Pontos have nothing in reference or addition addition to the ships launches. 

Greg

they look good though........nice job! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Didn't get to the plane part yet, but only bi-planes ... Funny you would expect Tamiya not to make the error to deliver multiple different planes(!) Nice work. For a plane which has an actual size of 1.5 - 2 cm (3/5" - 4/5") Hard not to make errors at this scale!! Did you put them together with tweezers only!?

Carl

Greg, you'll want to gloss coat the planes. Decals like smooth surfaces. The spray can Testors product is OK, as is Pledge with Future, an acrylic floor wax. It's spray-able for thinner coats. Apply with an airbrush.

I use the Microscale red and blue products to put the decals on. They work well with our thinner film decals. There are a few other products out there that are stronger, but you only would use them on thicker film decals. And don't panic if the decals look like they shriveled up on you. Let them dry and they will self level. If you do get silvering (whitish spots under the decal film), just put a drop or two of the setting solution on the spot(s) and let it dry. You may want to put slits in the decal film to get the solution under the film before reapplying the stuff.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'll have to get some of that Decal stuff!

i used the Tamiya floatplanes for the hangar, or should I say I used 2 as I had to cut the wings off both, and a little bit of weathering but as it's in a hole it's not that obvious. The Ensign staff is added, along with the platform for the twin triple 25mm (which fell apart once and had to be re built), 2 single 25mm's at the end of the boat rails (I'll add them last just before I add the catapults), dropped in the crane, added rear rails (there are still life preservers to be added) and single stanchions around the MG range finders. 

In the overall scale of things this area his area is fairly small. 

Now, I can start rigging the beast.

IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

Greg

WOW!  that looks sweet! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress, Greg. I didn't realise they added, besides the single one's, tripple AA guns on the rear hanger deck. It's a wonder they could still get those planes out and of the ship. They really made the Yamato a floating gun platform  in 1945, awesome firepower(!) I was planning to add a plane in the hanger too, now it will seem like I'm a copy cat, darn. Will have to figure something out ... Great work on the weathering of that aft deck too. You are really becoming a pro at it. For me .. still more PE to go, plenty of sheets left ... it seems the new tool has far better details than the old one considering the quantity of PE I've got ...

Carl

I have done up the rigging but I am awaiting some Krystal clear to make up the insulation balls before I tidy it up, as the rigging is black it's really hard to see. It is incredibly hard to figure out the rigging plan as it's so convoluted I have tried to keep it simple. 

IMG_4095.JPG

Greg

Looks great Greg.  Being a Command ship she will have had a plethora of wire aerials for the long-haul comms. :)

You seem to have deciphered the jig-saw pretty well.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Haven't left yet mate; next Wednesday - then we'll see about wifi :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

gotta say Greg.......you really have good hand on this build.........you've done it so methodically.   very well planned.   good thing the stanchions have little holes......I can just see you winding the thread around each one {talk about Chinese water torture}.  I've been doing it with thin wire.......what a pain!   rigging and such is awesome......and the added armament looks great!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: