Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Thank you,Bob, for the detailed answer! Like a lot of other fellow ship model builders I am quite intrigued by scratch and especially POF building. If I ever get finished with Syren probably a POF scratch built model will be my next goal. Besides simply enjoying your build log that is one additional reason to watch the progress on your Halifax with great interest!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Martin and Thomas. As I said at the outset of this log, one of the primary reasons for my choice of this project was to be able to do a POF build without having to cut all of the framing by hand, since I have no power tools. Interestingly, most of the problems that I've encountered would have been present even if I had used the standard Lumberyard framing package without the laser cut frames.

Bob

I spent the first part of my time since my last update completing the fairing of the hull. This involved first adding boxwood strip shim pieces to the frames that were low as a result of the the jig slot misalignments. This was tedious work, but straightforward and uneventful. I've attached photos of the faired hull which don't look all that different from the prior photos, but there really is a big improvement.

After completing the fairing, I turned to the stern framing. This presented some challenges. I quickly realized that the laser cut wing transom and stern frames were simply not right. After wasting some time trying to figure to ways to "improve" them, I decided that the easiest solution was simply to cut entirely new parts from scratch. I started with the wing transom, which required multiple efforts to get any thing that was any good at all. The plans don't really show it in any way, other than it's position, and the book photos are are also somewhat vague. I cut the part from boxwood sheet, rough shaped it to fit and cut notches in the top side with small chisels for the stern frames. I then cut and shaped the other two transoms from boxwood sheet and mounted all three. I did some rough fairing of the lower two transoms, but left the wing transom until the stern frames are in place.

The laser cut frames were simply too small and didn't match either the plans or my construction. I cut them from boxwood sheet, but have not mounted them yet. I have attached a photo of the rough wing transom and the stern frames before mounting. The photo also shows a laser cut frame, for comparison. The final photo shows the three transoms mounted. 

Next up will be the mounting of the stern frames and the remainder of the stern framing.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6c5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6c9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ca.jpeg

Very neat and nice work Bob,

all the frame joinings and some of the frame shimmings for perekt straking look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great work Bob. Looks like you're overcoming all the challenges thrown at you with consummate ease!

It's a shame these sort of things happen in a kit but you have done a great job of overcoming a somewhat unattainable obstacle. I'm thinking you have had your share of problems for this build so the rest is going to be a smooth ride ;)

Thanks so much Nils, Grant, Dave, Don, Sjors and the "likes". Since I expected to do a substantial amount of scratch building on this, a few more pieces to be scratched wasn't really a big deal. 

Bob

you made the bow look so much better Bob.....I am curious to ask though......would it blend your troubles at the bow more,  if you were to make the curve at the turn a little more gradual.  starting at #6 through #9  blend the curve to meet  the knight heads {the frames at the bow stem},  rounding them out more.   it looks like that's where your problem may have started......the curve continued from the hull sides to the bow.  I'm not too familiar with these vessels.......I may be wrong.

great work on the stern parts :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Denis. With regard to the bow, the framing seems to match up to the drawings pretty closely. During fairing, I ran battens around the curves at the bow and there didn't seem to be a problem. We'll see when I get to doing the wales very soon.

Bob

Bob

Love your build log. You are doing an enviable job.

I've been thinking of putting the Halifax on my to do list, but I'm a bit leary from some of your findings re: wrong sizes and errors. Have you let the Lumberyard know about these? If I do want to buy this kit, I'd want those fixes made.

Anyway...keep posting your progress...love it!!

John

Thanks so much John. I've not contacted the Lumberyard, nor do I expect to. Perhaps I'm just fatalistic, but things are what they are and are unlikely to be changed. As I have said before, I expected to be doing substantial scratch building on this project. A few more scratch items and some corrections fall into the category of "oh well". I would only buy this if you're willing to take that attitude.

Bob

I have now completed framing of the hull with the stern framing and fairing. First, the stern frames were glued into place between the slots cut into the wing transom and the template cut from the plans and glued to the framing jig. Then, I cut pieces of boxwood strip to fit between the stern frames in curves set out in the plans. Next, I added the framing pieces between last hull frame and the outer stern frames. Lastly, I faired the entire stern assembly.

I am now moving on to start the wales and then the planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6cd.jpeg

the stern came out well....the changes you made,  made a big difference ;)   agree with your statement....I haven't bought a kit yet,  where I haven't made changes.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Bob, Well done. I've always admired your ability to adapt and correct "technical" issues.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

GOOD JOB
I bought the lumberjard kit about a year ago.
It will be my next job after La Belle
 greeting

Iosto

Current build  

Enterprize

Schifetto

Completed builds:

LA BELLE

La Jacinthe French Schooner

Cherful

Tartana Gemma

Carmenia