Halifax by rafine - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1:48 - semi-scratch schooner

Definitely NOT hitting the "like" button on that one Bob! Hope your repairs go smoothly.

Sorry to hear this, Bob. However I know that your repair work will look great.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks guys for all of the encouragement and confidence. I needed it and appreciate it. I was more than a little depressed when it happened.

After three days of work, I can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, and hope to be done with repairs tomorrow. BTW, there will be no photos of the damage, as I couldn't get myself to take them.

Bob

Bob:

I am sure the repairs will come out fine and all will be well. This is a really nice looking model.

Russ

I'm sorry to hear that Bob......glad your getting her sorted out

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good luck Bob. 

We've all been there.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks again to all for the good words. Repairs are now complete. The stern is somewhat fragile (glue is not as strong as solid wood), but will be OK after the planking there is done. I may just move that up in my sequence to avoid any further problems.

Bob

good, good, green lights ahead again Bob,

looking forward to your further progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Now we can hit the "like" button again:) , and you deserve it, Bob

Just like your previous build, your endeavour to get the maximum result out of an already decent kit is an example for us all.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

yea!!!!  emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.75254844648ffc2f9fb95e89e46eb8d3.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Glad to be back into progress mode again. I've completed the first part of the interior work that I will do. This consists of the framing and planking of the aft lower deck.

The framing was done with boxwood strip and includes framing for what appears to be a scuttle, and also some supports for the beams. The beam supports, like much of the other interior work, will never be seen. The planking was done with holly strip, as will all of the other deck planking. The caulking is done with a carpenters pencil and the drill and fill treenails are done with golden oak filler. The holes in the forward part of the deck are for the pumps. The deck planking that looks ragged at the edges will all be covered by cabinetry.

My current intention is to do all of the aft lower  deck partitions and cabinetry, the fore lower deck framing and planking, full interior hull planking in the hold on the port side and partial on the starboard side, and full interior planking above the lower decks, including the stern. I'm not entirely sure in what order I'll proceed.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_6eb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ee.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f0.jpeg

Hey Bob, just getting caught up on MSW after being away for a while.  Was happy to see you start on a new build - looking really great!  Hope all is well.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very nice looking deck planking. I must try holly one day. :)

Russ

Terrific work, Bob.  I couldn't see any sign of damage or repair, and wouldn't have even guessed (or tried to find it) if you hadn't spilled the beans.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Russ, Martin and the "likes".

Russ, I've been using holly for the deck planking for quite a while now and really like it. It works easily and provides a nice contrast with the boxwood without looking harsh.

Martin, unfortunately, almost none of the damaged and repaired areas show up in these photos (intentionally). For the most part, they won't get to be seen until they're covered up with further work.

Bob 

I've done two areas in the past week: the interior planking of the hold and the forward platform.

The platform framing was done with boxwood strip, in the same manner as the aft lower deck. The fitting of the beams was tricky, but there are only three of them. The holly deck planking was done in the same way as the aft deck planking. Again, I wasn't as careful as I might have been with the forward most part of the deck, since it will be covered by a breasthook. The framed opening is for the foremast.

The hold planking was done with boxwood strip. I chose to plank the entire port side (up as far as the fore platform level so far), but to only do a few planks on the starboard side. I intend to leave an open space in that planking on that side and to not resume it until the level of the exterior hull planking.The planking extends just beyond the start of the decks, fore and aft. I finished with a coat of Wipe-on Poly.

I'm now working on the interior stern planking and the work in the stern cabin.

Bob

P6100152.JPG

P6100150.JPG

fullsizeoutput_6f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f6.jpeg

Bob, really like the contrast between the boxwood and holly planks. Some people can really "paint" with wood. 

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Nice progress. Making the angles on the ends of the beams looks like a challenge. Good work.

Russ