HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

It is amazing what we can learn from other model-makers, as well as what one invents for oneself, when one has to! I appreciate all the model makers on this site who are willing to share their knowledge.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A little progress on the whales, but first tool time.

I should have bought the rip taper jig from Jim when I ordered my table saw. Unsure why I didn't at the time. I made my own version. A few brass bars, aluminum plate & bolts assembled in the right way makes a very useful tool.

post-20-0-19640200-1399579142_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-21503300-1399579140_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-16037000-1399579141_thumb.jpeg

The whales are made from pear tinted with Fieblings (mahogany and black 6:1) The edges are pre painted as if fear for the paint running into places it shouldn't the sides will first be sanded flush before I can paint it. All planks are pre bend using a steam iron and the admiral's hair dryer ;)

All looks a bit messy at this point

post-20-0-87939000-1399579137_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-08963500-1399579139_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Wonderful work Remco. Very ingenious your new taper jig.

I too raid the Admiral's stores. Careful though, if caught one has to scrub the floors and for a hair dryer it is usually a keel hauling, in my instance,!

Will you be planking both sides?

Alan

Hi Remco,

I have also been worried about staining the wales with Fieblings, and having it wick into the frames below. Is it working well to stain the edges off the ship?

Also, can you show a closer view of the stain with mahogany and black 6:1? I had not thought of diluting the black with something. I remember Ed worked for a dark brown rather than pure black on his Naiad.

Best wishes,

Mark

Hoi Remco, AWESOME ! ! !  Tool and die maker now too?  This is so much better then "store bought" stuff, don't you think?  The satisfaction of having made such a first class tool is well worth it.  Just like with me, with all those compliments, just watch them shoes though that you don't trip over them   ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Alan, I'll plank her on one side from the whole up.

Piet, yes it's fun to make your own tools, but there is a risk of wanting more tools, my mini late isn't really up to the task to use as a mill for bigger parts. shallow cuts and a lot of patience was needed and even then it chattered. Please Santa can I have a bigger mill???

Mark, yes it works well up until now. Better keep the stain well away from any parts I don't want to stain. 

Here's a discarded plank with the edge already stained next to a real ebony plank

post-20-0-50085600-1399664678_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Can't tell the difference from here Remco  ;)  Looks real to me !

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Remco!

All looks a bit messy at this point

But, how many planks is made up the wale? 4 planks (on high)? And if you are staining the first two lanes, you are not worry about gluing stuff to the already painted planks above?

I thought you were going to complete the whole wale, sand it and then paint it... We´ll be here waiting to see the result.

best wishes!

Daniel.

A very nice tool there Remco, I have to agree with Druxey regarding all those who share their knowledge it has certainly helped me a great deal. lovely work on the whales.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice work as always, Remco.  I like the tapering guide. 

Mark, I used straight black acrylic ink on Naiad, thinned to a stain, then applied to semi-opaque to let the pear color come through.  However, in the end, it looks pretty black. 

ed

Remco, would you mind if I bother you with a next batch of questions regarding finish? it is one of the best I ever saw, so I am trying to learn on best examples! :)

What is the benefit of microcrystalline wax comparing to tung oil, why do you prefer it now? And all that comparing to wipe-on-poly?

Do you apply finish to a tiny pieces, like the beds, closets, etc?

What finish have you used for frames?

And the last one - what is your tactics for when to finish? Do you apply it before gluing, or after?

Thanks for all advices!

Thanks guys!

Daniel, the whale is 3 strakes of planks. The row butting to the stained whale will not be glued on the edge.

Mike, the wax and oil have pro's and cons, build up of wax can easily be removed build up of oil not and will give a glossy finish. But oil encapsulates the remains of sanding dust which otherwise stand out like white traces in the grain of the wood and joints. I still ran a bit more to oil because of the latter. Whipe on poly (semi gloss) gives a gloss finish (of course) and I really done like that on models. You could also use sanding sealer as a finish, dead flat but a bit harder to apply on large area's. It's also a matter of taste. All parts are treated with finish like the bed and the closet, and always as a last step as glue does not  stick very well to surfaces with a finis applied. 

So the whale continues. I hope the treenails will stand out enough after the wood is stained. Being end grain it was darker on the test pieces, but the treenails will be hard to see. Same will be for the joints between the planks.  Tomorrow I'll apply the stain, I'm a bit scared about this step and hope there will be no stain flowing to the parts thad need no stain. I scored the wood with a scalpel where the whale touches the frames. 

post-20-0-43083500-1400274470_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-53550400-1400274468_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-55068700-1400274469_thumb.jpeg

Here the treenails are sanded flush with the whale and almost invisible

post-20-0-29601400-1400274467_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

I think everyone who's followed this build will be holding their breath and keeping fingers crossed for you, Remco.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Take a breath folks. I finished applying the finish....

The good, it turned out nice dark brown (not as black as on the pictures) and the structure of the wood is still a bit visible. The joints of the planks appear slightly visible so it does not look like one big plank.

The bad, I made 400 treenails disappear, only when the light hits at a certain angle they are barely visible :( and the stain is a bit blotchy, applying more coats made it better but also made the treenails less visible. Only one run out at a spot I didn't want, under the strern

I also applied the finish (tung oil) it's still drying hence the glossy look at the moment. That will disappear once dry and a quick while with a Scotch pad. Then I can add bolts at the plank ends.

post-20-0-58208600-1400313107_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-69194800-1400313108_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-93081000-1400313109_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco

The Fiebings dye was a new one for me.  Thanks for sharing that information.  Do you or does anyone else on the site have long term experience with it regarding fading or effects from long exposure to sun light, etc?  If you posted more on this product earlier, I missed and thus apologize for the question.

Thanks again for sharing, your model is terrific.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'll agree with Bob, who agreed with Chris...... subtle is better in this case. It looks fabulous Remco.

That;s a beautiful belt of wales, Remco. I could have told you the trunnels would disappear under the merciless staining of Fiebings. I've tried using a lighter wood like holly for the treenails to see if there would be a difference but all turns out uniformly black.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I'll add my kudos as well Remco.  It certainly looks very dark and I can see a few treenails too.  Very nice looking wale.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra