HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

Remco,

Your build is exceptional and a pleasure to follow.

I do have a bit of confusion in my own mind on the bulkhead lanterns.  This is not a criticism as the lanterns are VERY nice.  They are showing exactly opposite each other.   I always thought, (and very possibly incorrectly) that the access to the bulkhead lanterns was from the opposite side of the bulkhead much like the lanterns in the light room.  The attached drawing seems to indicate  access  through the bulkhead, thus my comments.  Of course they could  have hinged doors inside the room and hang them as shown on Kingfisher, but it was a new one for me, or at least the first time I remember seeing this configuration. 

Thanks again for sharing your build.

Allan

post-42-0-52691900-1392487443_thumb.gif

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Access to these lanterns was only necessary from inside the room. The only place where outside access was essential was inside the magazine(s). Think about that for a moment!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Great Remco,

really great, one really wants to step aboard to watch the shipbuilders do their joining work, carefully tapping from beam to beam, watching out not to slip and fall a deck or two below.

Wonderful work !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Druxey, I thought the same thing about the lanterns being opened in the room if it was not the magazine.  The drawing I posted earlier, and especially the one below gave me pause.  Why are there bulkheads forming a little room to the back of the lantern rather than just opening the lantern inside the gunner's room. Would there be loose powder normally present in the gunner's room? 

Thanx

Allan

post-42-0-15716200-1392549138_thumb.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Alan: that drawing certainly shows that there was a tiny light room/cupboard, so there must have been materiel such as fuses and slow matches, etc. stored in the gunner's room on larger ships. In the carpenter's room example you posted, it looks more like a illuminating light to me. However, it does look ambiguous.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Interesting discussion, unfortunately my NMM plans don't show the position of the lanterns.

Meanwhile I've made some storage space for the galley, I wasn't pleased with MKI

post-20-0-73264800-1392586509_thumb.jpeg

so I build MKII with thinner hinges and a working drawer. Behind it I'll make an open cupboard.

post-20-0-56671400-1392586510_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-63847900-1392586511_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

This is above and beyond... a working drawer.  Wow!!!  And just to satisfy the curious (me), what's going in the drawer?  No, don't tell us.  I'm still shaking my head over the working drawer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Getoutahere !!!!  No way - working drawers no less.  Whadayudo, used an Ikea cabinet and treated it with Preparation H to shrink it ???  Ah, you know I'm kidding.  That's just awesome Remco.  Now you need to make the utensils that go into the drawers.

Great job!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Now you're just showing off Remco! ;) As the younger generation might say, "that's fully sick dude".

Looking forward to seeing the utensils in the drawer. ;)

My oh my what a great mini project!  Of course now I have to try this, and once again explain to the boss when she asks why I have patience to try these kinds of things, but little else. 

I will be blaming you of course, so you are forewarned. :P

Allan

Thanks guys. Druxey, actually the drawers are made with half blind dovetails

For the utensils I thought to just borrow the admiral's but somehow they don't fit.....

post-20-0-02772300-1392667462_thumb.jpeg

Well a scaled down version then.... I leave it up to you to guess how I made these...

post-20-0-89961100-1392667462_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-50031600-1392667463.jpeg

Enough playing around let's get back to the serious stuff (but maybe next build a doll house?)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco, that is absolutely superb detail at that scale even if you are playing around as you say :)  - you are a very talented artiste!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I was thinking about a nice Georgian style table and chairs for my Bellona's captain's cabin. Perhaps I can hire you to give me miniature furniture making lessons.

Just about beyond comprehension what you can do, Remco. Well done.

Best wishes,

Mark

That´s extrapolate the top. I laught in amazement. Really.

All of the above Remco.

You are a true master of your craft mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the nice compliments.

I was thinking about a nice Georgian style table and chairs for my Bellona's captain's cabin. Perhaps I can hire you to give me miniature furniture making lessons.

Sure, if I can hire you to do the drafting of the furniture, as I love your drawings. So just send your idea's and we'll make it a joint effort.

The upper half of the cupboard as two features, one shelf for pots and one to hold plates, I got the idea of some pictures I found of galleys.

post-20-0-61033400-1392762077_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Very nice touch. I don't know what else to say.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hu Ha!!

I thought the brick oven was going to be all the stuff in the kitchen... but Nooo! I forgot about the cupboard...with practicable drawers on 1:48... totally insane, amazing...

Best wishes,

Daniel.