HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

Try swelling the wood with a drop or two of water applied with a brush. It will probably leave a watermark, but a rub of fine sandpaper and refinish over it and it should miraculously vanish!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good to see you back in action. As for little shop mates....mine is confined to a cage. Cockatiel's love to chew on wood and I am convinced one could slowly completely dismantle an entire model.

Dave

post-11777-0-68717600-1406668263_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Remco, I found your log and devoured it.  You really put me to shame with your skill and workmanship.  As for redos I have had my fair share over the years.  When I first started my Latham I had to remake the hull several times because my mentors at the time pointed out that it was not perfectly symetrical.  Then the planking the prop and the rest.  If this is all you have to worry about my hat is off to you in awe and respect.  And just have patience with Pepples.

David B

Hoi Remco and great seeing you back in the shipyard.  Nice looking planking job, looks very spiffy.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you guys.

Yes Druxey that is a good trick for dents, unfortunately her little fangs cut the fibers so I nee to fill the gap or go for Greg's story. Might as well throw in the musket as well....... It's a Brown Bess Sea Service Pattern 53.5 inch long musket, making it just over an inch long to match my model.

post-20-0-60671600-1406749707_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-88591700-1406749802_thumb.jpeg

Only dry fitted, brass will blackened and the boxwood darkened with mahogany stain.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Nice story. One marine will be severely reprimanded for the discharge of his weapon!

Seriously, you could still try the water trick, even if the fibers have been cut.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hmm.. and inch long, very nice detail.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

And I thought i was a little off the wall.  Keep up the good work.  That musket will add a nice bit of detail. :D

David B

Remco,

I certainly hope you make double items of some of the interior furniture's and display them separately.

I really like the key on the fingertip of yours. Very delicate and beautiful.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hoi Remco, that's some serious looking metal work, especially the flint striker assembly.  Fantastic job.

btw, how many are you gong to make for ship's compliment???   ;)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Knowing you, you will be setting up a firing range in order to zero in the range on that little musket.

That's the first I've seen of those anywhere.

Nice touch mate.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Change the story to keep the Marine ouf of trouble.. he was shooting at the rat who came up out of the hold.   (I'm wondering how many remember the rat.)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I tried to fix the bite mark with some water Druxey, but unfortunately it's to deep and wide. I can fix it with some colored wax or, we make up a good story how the musket was discharged and hit the riding bitt. I'm with Mark here let's blame the rat ;)

Piet one's enough! :)

So here's all painted, blackened and assembled.  The wood turned out a little darker than I would have liked, but it will go nicely with all the other mini projects like the wicker basket, cutlery, etc to show off the model. 

post-20-0-25181400-1406836327_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-60751400-1406836324_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Amazing Remco, but we shouldn't really be surprised now should we? Just fantastic!

Excellent work Remco, you are providing some very fine examples of everyday activity aboard these ships and befits such a finely detailed model.  I enjoy seeing the additional finely crafted work you are applying.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hoi Remco, SUPERB !!!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

that musket is an eyecatcher Remco,

great Detail as all your other fine Details I like, trust we shall see some more surprizes as you carry on...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Man! You are just toooo much! That had to be fun.

So I guess you're now considering creating some little mice to stage around in the hold.

Fun to watch Remco.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

:omg:   That's about all I can muster at this point.   Exquisite musket. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)