HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

I have not decided what I am going to do to reconstruct the build log.  Like most of us, I did not save any of the text accompanying the photos.  Over the next few days I will figure out my next step.

But now there is a new beginning so I will post some pictures of the progress so far.  They are not the best pictures (I have to rely on ambient lighting) but I wanted to get the build log restarted.  When Sadie heard about the disaster she insisted on getting back on line!

Toni

post-262-0-36839200-1361032818_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-93703600-1361032881_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-51133800-1361032898_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-85578200-1361032917_thumb.jpg

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Beautiful work.  I am sorry to say that I was not following this build on MSW 1.0, but I will be following it from now on.  This is going to turn out to be one fine model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nice to see you, Atlanta, and Sadie back Toni. I look forward to continuing to follow your excellent build.

Good to see you back here, Toni.  What many of us are doing is either (as Remco put it) a "Management Summary" of pictures only and minimal text or just picking up where we are now.  Your choice. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Joe, Ryland, Grant and Mark thanks for your support.  I will probably post an executive summary of the log to date.  Hope to get to it later in the week.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Toni,

I am happy to see you and your fantastic build log again. I will follow you with great interest.

Have a look in the log of Dan. There is a chance that you get your complete log back.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Toni, I am always shocked when I see how small some of the incredibly detailed ship models are. Yours is no exception I thought it was at least twice as big as it is. Beautiful workmanship.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Christian, I am hoping to get at least some of the log from midnight.  Believe me, I am thrilled not to have to reconstruct the whole thing.  And a fond welcome back to you, Druxey.  Michael, the photo with the dog is a little misleading.  I was surprised how small it  looked compared with her.  The size of the building board is 12" x 30".

Toni

Good to be back, Remco.  Thanks for the compliment, Dave.  Dave (Midnight) had saved a copy of my build log and was gracious enough to reformat it and send it to me today.  I will start working on rebuilding the log tomorrow.  Thank you again, Dave.

Toni

Guest midnight

My pleasure Toni . Im glad i could be of as much help as you have been in posting your wonderful build . The reason i kept your log (and Danny's and Remcos) is because i plan on scratching a swan class to . The 3 build logs are my homework so in essence you , Danny and Remco are my teachers .

Cheers Dave

Edited by midnight

My pleasure Toni . Im glad i could be of as much help as you have been in posting your wonderful build . The reason i kept your log (and Danny's and Remcos) is because i plan on scratching a swan class to . The 3 build logs are my homework so in essence you , Danny and Remco are my teachers .

Not only your teacher, Dave. ;)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Here it goes!  I have decided to edit the original build log to make it more readable.  I am eliminating all of the attaboy posts and keeping all of the comments and additional information posts.  All of the pictures will be posted.  There are also some places where the retrospectoscope has shown me a better way of doing things, etc.  These portions will all be posted in italics.  Once I get the entire log up, I will (finally) develop an index.

Toni

Great to see you back Toni, and great news that you will repost your 'edited' log.  BUT, please leave some (a selected few maybe) of the attaboys/gals in it just as a motivational thing for the future when it sometimes may seem to be all a bit of a 'slog'.  You were (and continue to) doing some very nice work and its good to have some of the positive feedback there.  At the same time I cann see the benefits of a 'streamlined' log.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

While completing Hannah I decided to start thinking about my next project.  I thought I would mast Hannah but after completing the fore lower mast it became obvious that this was too tall for my pre-existing display cabinets.  (I have all my ships in a large glass and mahogany cabinet rather than in individual
cases.  This arrangement is not air tight but takes up much less space. 

I decided to try my hand at a Swan class, a 16 gun sixth rate sloop.  There are several advantages to this selection:  the research has already been done, plans are available, the ship is not too large and (most importantly) there are four volumes of wisdom from David Antscherl and Greg Herbert.  I already own David’s Mylar plan and CD.  The next decision was which one of the ships to select.  There are kits for Fly and Pegasus.  Some of the ships had too few
plans available from the National Maritime Museum (NMM).  Therefore I selected Atalanta.  Atalanta was a Greek huntress and wrestler.  The most notable
story about her was that she agreed to marry the man who could outrun her in a race; but if she won, the suitor was killed. So much for mythology!

Atalanta did not have much of a career.  She was launched on August 12, 1775 from Sheerness dockyard.  She was involved in one action on May 28,
1781 and was captured by the American ship Alliance off the coast of Nova Scotia.  She was recaptured by the British off Cape Cod a few weeks later and was eventually sold and broken up in 1802.

I sent away for plans from the National Maritime Museum and ordered my wood from Jeff at HobbyMill.  I will be using Costello boxwood and possibly some other hardwoods for accents.  The wood is gorgeous.  Jeff has developed a wood package for a Swan build which will eliminate hours of “fun” at the thickness sander.  (Ask for an extra sheet of wood (scale 6") for the hanging and lodging knees unless you want to thickness down one of the thicker sheets.)

I do not have a lot of spare time but I am hopeful that I can complete the model within five years.  It will not be masted.  I have not decided about hull and deck planking.  I figure that I have a few years before I need to worry about these decisions!

Toni

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author:  dvm27

Terrific choice, Toni.  For those unfamiliar with Atalanta there is a lovely model of her in the NMM built in the Georgian
style.  It may be viewed at:  http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explire/object.cfm?ID=SLR0340&picture=2#content

Greg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2011.  The first thing to address was the building board.  This was made with ¾ inch MDF and given a couple of coats of Kilz.  After sanding it smooth, the centerline and the fore and aft dimension lines were drawn in and scribed.  A copy of the plan was glued to the building board.  The mirror image was obtained by copying the Mylar from the reverse.  I used Elmer’s poster glue as it allows for removal of the plan without damaging the building board if I decide I don’t like having the plan on the board.  The hull dimensions will be roughly 25 x 7 inches.

post-262-0-40437100-1361242113_thumb.jpg

Now to begin making some sawdust!  The keel pieces were cut on the Preac and the scarf joints were made with chisels.  I have never used chisels before and am still getting the hang of them.  The key is sharpness of the tool.  In TFFM it is recommended to make cuts on a flat piece of hardwood.  I am using an old acrylic cutting board from the kitchen which has been sanded dead flat and is knife friendly.

post-262-0-89305900-1361242137_thumb.jpg

Joints below waterline are lined with tarred flannel.  I used black paper which I already had for another purpose.  I tested it first in a mock-up to make sure the color did not bleed with either the glue or the finish.  I plan on using Watco’s Danish Wood Oil, which gives an almost dead-flat finish.

Toni

Edited by Dan Vadas

Toni

Hi Toni,  a couple of things I have learned (the hard way :)) while rebuilding my log that may help compress your log (white space).  I hope I am not telling you how to "suck eggs" here, just trying to be helpful but please ignore the post if I am not being helpful  :)

When you import the images they appear as thumbnails at the bottom of the editor. If you look closely there is some text to allow you to delete it or "add to post".  if you click the latter it is placed within the post at the location of the cursor (rather than attached as an image) allowing you to select exactly where you wanty it, and in which order  (as you can upload in batches (max 10 per post). EDIT That is now 8 per post. (Danny)

Also, I found that the editor adds several returns at the end of the post, and inserts extra line breaks if you cut and paste the text in.  I went back through my posts and removed all the linebreaks and additional spaces at the end of the post (I wish that it was possible to make these visible) and it compressed my post sizes considerably.

Just for thought :) - I can delete this post to remove it from your log thread when you have read it; just PM me and I will get to it as soon as I read the PM.

cheers

Pat

Edited by Dan Vadas

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I discovered the same thing when I started uploading the first installment.  Please leave it in.  Other people will learn from it.

Toni

Hi Toni,

Great to see that you've managed to use Dave's saved files to recreate your Build Log. Unfortunately mine were pretty well unusable other than to give me a very good idea of how I set the original Log out.

I've taken the liberty of Editing your first "New" post to set the layout up in a more "readable" fashion. Open your Edit box on it, open the "Full Editor" and check how the Picture Attachment Codes are now placed.

If you set the Cursor in the Text Box where you want the pic to be and then clkick on the "Add Post" button under the thumbnail of the pic it will place the code here. You can Centre it if you want by Selecting the Code with your mouse and then click on the "Centre Text" icon at the top of the Edit Box.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Guest midnight

Good to see it starting to rebuild again Toni , looking forward ti seeing it progress .

Danny , I'm sorry that you weren't able to use the log i saved . I wish there was something i could do to the extension to make it usable .As i said I'm not very tech savvy  That's a bit of a let down .  . 

Cheers Dave

Danny, I appreciate whatever you did and at the same time am totally clueless as to what you are talking about.  I'll play around with the new options.  What I needed to do with Dave's PDF files was take snapshots of the various posts and then type out my comments.  I could not get them to convert to a word document.  But this gives me the opportunity to review and (hopefully) improve on what I wrote before.

Toni

August 1, 2011  I cleaned up the paper in the scarf joint.  You no longer see the black dust in the adjoining wood.  The boxing joint is a lot more difficult to make than it appears.  The cuts are easy.  But the shape of the joint must perfectly match the plans or else the angle of the lower stem piece will be off.  The keelson is left long for trimming later.

post-262-0-13208700-1361327071_thumb.jpg

I finished the keel and trunneled the scarf joints.  The “bolts” are boxwood drawn down to a 77 drill size.  The effect is subtle, maybe too subtle.  The photo was taken after a quick wipe down with water to simulate the effect after the finish is applied.  I
have not finish-sanded the piece yet so the imperfections in the width of the joint and the shape of the trunnels are temporary.

post-262-0-47094300-1361327159_thumb.jpgpost-262-0-77886600-1361327276_thumb.jpg

Danny, I think I figured it out.  But tell me why, when I type to the end of the line, the post comes out with the right margin all over the place.

Toni

August 8, 2011  The lower stem piece has been make and glued to the keel assembly.   The lower and upper stem pieces have been added to the keel assembly and trunneled.  The boxwood trunnels will stand out more after the finish is applied eventually.  The top of the upper stem piece needs trimming as does the false keel.  On to the apron!

post-262-0-62989300-1361327667.jpg

Edited by Dan Vadas

Toni

Author:  dvm27  Moving along nicely, Toni.  Be sure to use a piece that is a generous 18” for the lower apron.  Having that full 3” step on each side is important when fitting and fairing the cants later on.  Greg

Author:  remcohe  While hunting for pictures for my own sculpting I did a search on Atalanta and found some pictures of her.   http://cartelen.louvre.fr/cartelen/visite?srv=rs display res&critere=atalanta&operator=AND&nbToDisplay=5langue=en.  May be of interest for you.  Remco

August 10, 2011  Thanks.  One of the reasons I selected Hannah for my first scratch build was the lack of sculpting.

Author:  Chuck  Here is a large image of the NMM model…it’s at a different angle and better lighting.  And a piture of a sculpture of Atalanta done in the 1800’s in the almost exact pose.

post-262-0-75181900-1361329961_thumb.png

post-262-0-03522200-1361330116_thumb.png

Toni

Danny, I think I figured it out.  But tell me why, when I type to the end of the line, the post comes out with the right margin all over the place.

I see you did Toni :) .

The right margin is "everywhere" because the Text Editor doesn't have a "Justify Text" option which stretches out the spacing between words and letters to line up both margins. The differences in the spacings depend on the length of the next word.

That sort of option is only available in more complex programs like MS Word and would use up too much memory on this Site. Don't worry about it - everyone's in the same boat (groan :D ).

BTW - you were getting a lot of blank space after your last pics. When Editing, place the Cursor directly after the last actual entry and hold down the Delete Button. This will clear any extra space. (I've already done that for you)

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks, teacher!

Toni