56 minutes ago, BobG said:

Chris, even though you are making these kits to appeal primarily to beginners, the more detail that you can add that make these boats as realistic and interesting as possible would, in my opinion, make them even more attractive to beginners and even experienced modelers as well.  I think most less experienced modelers can accomplish quite a bit when they are given accurate, detailed and thorough instructions that have good, step-by-step photos instead of the all too common brief, often poorly translated instructions with poor photos that are maddeningly confusing and too often just plain wrong.  

One of the most attractive things about models that are simpler in overall design compared to large, complex models with lots of rigging is that there isn't so much going on all at once. The beauty of these boats lies in the more simple, uncluttered lines that they have and one can more easily see the details very clearly. They can be very beautiful when done well but, as you have said, you have to have good, high quality materials to begin with.  

Thank you. Although it is designed to be relatively easy to put together, they aren't just for beginners. I chose the Zulu especially because it has some pleasing lines, and wouldn't look out of place in most homes, and wouldn't take up so much space.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I chose the Zulu especially because it has some pleasing lines, and wouldn't look out of place in most homes, and wouldn't take up so much space.

Quick! Somebody hide my debit card!!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

1 minute ago, ccoyle said:

Quick! Somebody hide my debit card!!

Chris has a knack for producing kits I really really want😂😂👍 These coastal fishing vessels are very good looking boats!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

39 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Chris has a knack for producing kits I really really want😂😂👍 These coastal fishing vessels are very good looking boats!!

I couldn't agree more and there are not that many really good, high quality kits out there of these vessels. I hope he will be successful with these models and that that will encourage him to continue to find interesting, models of fishing boats and other interesting smaller models to offer in his line of kits. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

7 minutes ago, James H said:

I'll have a Zulu with me on Wednesday.....something to fill a few weeks until Victory lands. 

Chris wants me to build for the kit box art. Build log incoming....

Awesome! I'll be one of the first in line for this kit.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

34 minutes ago, James H said:

Build log incoming....

I promised myself I wouldn’t buy a new kit until I finished my current one. I’m blaming you and your build log if I break my promise 😂

8 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I promised myself I wouldn’t buy a new kit until I finished my current one.

Ain't that the truth!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I am not sure if i would call these "beginners kits". I would rather say its a different series than the "Royal navy" line up, considering that these are not warships and not from the same era. From "beginners" point of view, I would say that fishing boats are more suitable than large ships with lots of guns and rigging to start with, but Fishing boats and warships probably do not have the same main audience.

I think they have really beautiful lines and they will be really interesting to see with sails. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I’m no professional model painter but decided I was tired of Cochrane being gray. So here he is on the deck of my current project, a Chris design from long ago. 

88118636-D0C5-4F70-AECF-617F49B14F04.jpeg

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Nice job, Glenn!

Should have some more updates in a couple of weeks, just been beavering away getting though boring stuff. (drawings, sorting pics, waiting for sail sets etc.)

I do have on order a powered miniature rope making machine, which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I’m no professional model painter but decided I was tired of Cochrane being gray. So here he is on the deck of my current project, a Chris design from long ago. 

That's a really nice paint job on him!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

42 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Should have some more updates in a couple of weeks, just been beavering away getting though boring stuff. (drawings, sorting pics, waiting for sail sets etc.)

Bristol stuff? 😀👍

Are pre-sewn sails on the expensive side? I wonder why they aren’t included in more kits. I’m leaning towards not making sails for the Alert (still undecided though), but I think I’d be a lot more inclined to add them to a build if I didn’t have to sew them. I’m not much of a seamstress, on the other hand it is good to learn new skills 🙂.

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

why they aren’t included in more kits

In my opinion they would greatly distract and hide from all the work that went into the model.  I did the research on Pegasus, it has every running rigging rope as the real ship according to my research, but no sails. The ropes and detail work would be hidden. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Pre sewn sails are very expensive. I have never liked them anyway, from a personal point of view. So the thought of spending so much on sail sets (clearly, I cannot just order a couple of sets to be made, but minimum is 40 sets) is never high on my to do list. They do suit the smaller model though, especially subjects like the fishing boats, where the sail plan seem to compliment their 'character'. 

logo.jpg

I'm so glad you are creating these models, Chris. There are lots of period warships to choose from but these working boats are, I feel, an underrepresented segment of good quality model ship kits. They are wonderful boats with important and interesting histories and they come in  all kinds of interesting and often unusual and colorful designs. I would love to see more of them in your line of boats in the future.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, BobG said:

I'm so glad you are creating these models, Chris. There are lots of period warships to choose from but these working boats are, I feel, an underrepresented segment of good quality model ship kits. They are wonderful boats with important and interesting histories and they come in  all kinds of interesting and often unusual and colorful designs. I would love to see more of them in your line of boats in the future.

Cheers :) If this pair sell OK, I will definitely do another one (or two) at some point.

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Cheers :) If this pair sell OK, I will definitely do another one (or two) at some point.

Thanks Chris, that would be wonderful!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

But first a frigate please

Agreed! After my third small/medium development (not counting the two small fishing boats), I cannot tell you how much I want to start doing larger kits. So with 5 kits available, these should help with the larger kit development and material costs.

No day job today, am off sick - but no symptoms for the Corona virus, I think I am just a little run down...

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

I think I am just a little run down...

Hope you feel better soon Chris.

Those stunning pictures of HMS Bristol on your website keep on grabbing my attention. If you were to make a kit of her, I think I'd find that very hard to resist! With that said, as I watch others building your new kits, pretty much any 1:64 frigate kit designed by you would be like a syren calling, too. (And I was so sure my next build was going to be something smaller!)

It is actually Speedy's sister, Flirt. As I have a little more time on my hands that I thought I'd have, I decided to compile a set of cut files for Flirt. There are changes, as the vessel will be depicted 'as built' rather than the later guise that Speedy is depicted. No copper plating for the bottom, but 'white stuff', and no flying jibboom.

Stern frames are cut in 2mm birch ply, this will be incorporated into future Speedy laser cut runs, including the lower deck 2mm Ceiba or poplar plywood with etched deck detail. 

In the meantime, I am finishing the two small kits...

Am thinking about a different stand, what about this, the base is 4mm MDF and oak veneer, and the acetate cradles are a push fit, no gluing?

Flirt stand 3.JPG

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

So caved to the demand and moved from MDF to ply...? My Speedy will have white stuff anyway, historical issues aside no copper for me. Sure wish I had boxwood though

Regards,

Glenn

2 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

So caved to the demand and moved from MDF to ply...? My Speedy will have white stuff anyway, historical issues aside no copper for me. Sure wish I had boxwood though

I ordered a few sheets, it is very expensive, and I got lucky with the thickness of the sheets this time. MDF will however, always be used for false keel and bulkheads, as I prefer it, as a modeller myself. Plus I do not have to worry about slot sizes..

logo.jpg