Here are some pics of the Flirt Master Shipwright boxwood 1 and 1.5mm being laser cut.

For the 100x500mm sheets, I usually laser cut four at a time, but boxwood is much more expensive, so am doing one at a time to ensure they are set up correctly for each sheet.  A lot more time consuming, but I know the sheets will be good.

Flirt boxwood cutting 1.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 2.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 3.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 4.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 5.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 6.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 7.JPG

Flirt boxwood cutting 8.JPG

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Which one of those is mine 🙂 ?

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

13 hours ago, MEDDO said:

The jig can be relatively simple.  Here is an example from a demo I saw at the most recent NRG conference.  Extra piece of wood to hook onto the edge of table so it doesn't slide forward.  The V grove can easily be made by just cutting off a corner from a square at a 45% angle then gluing 2 pieces together to get a nice 90 degree V slot.  I am pretty sure he was using at least a 3/4 inch chisel maybe even 1 inch wide.  Worked great

IMG_1188.jpeg.ebc8fd64a4f1cccabff3105ed5a1b0ca.jpeg

Excellent alternative to my somewhat complicated jig, Michael. Your alternative here is much easier to assemble. I can think of no disadvantages; if I didn't already have my "stepped groove" jig I'd make me one of these. I believe this jig was demo'd by David Antscherl in New Bedford, yes? David's got Mega-Skills. I'll stay with my small Ibex finger plane over a chisel however; using a chisel certainly works but it significantly "ups your game" in the fine motor skills department!!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Chris,

A question: does this machine make a lot of noise? And another: I've wondered whether or not smoldering boxwood smells like - uh, Macallan 25?

🤣

Ron

Macallan25.jpeg

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Hi Ron,

The actual laser machine is remarkably quiet (unlike CNC routing machines). I bought a low noise air compressor with the machine, which blows a jet of air over the laser cut parts to minimise burning. The machine that makes the most noise is actually the fume extractor, but when running normally, even that isn't too bad, and can hear the radio just fine in the laser room. If the door is closed in the room, you wouldn't even know it was running.

I will have a smell of the boxwood laser cut parts, and report back....

logo.jpg

Send me your bottle of Macallan 25, I’ll burn some boxwood and let you know...

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

21 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Send me your bottle of Macallan 25, I’ll burn some boxwood and let you know...

Glenn. No Problemo. Empty bottle on its way.

Ron

Hiya!

As all boxes have been populated with everything except the plans and instruction manual, which are arriving next Thursday, I have opened the Zulu, Lady Isabella for pre order, to be shipped on Friday 1st May and Monday 4th.

I will have to wait a little longer for the sail sets, as they are stuck in Russia, they are all ready and all paid for, but they cannot be shipped until lockdown is lifted.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/

Cheers,

Chris

logo.jpg

Today I completed the manual and box label art (no small thanks to Jim Hatch), and here is the box label art.

I shall have this ready for release a week Friday (8th May), with the Zulu being ready to go this Friday!

Right, back to the larger stuff....

Fifie-box-label.jpg

logo.jpg

33 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Today I completed the manual and box label art

Beautifully presented box art, Chris. I think these models will become very popular with increased exposure over time especially since they offer novices two very handsome models that they can successfully complete while learning a lot about ship modeling skills at the same time. Good quality materials coupled with excellent instructions are not all that commonplace in models suitable for beginners and experienced modelers will appreciate these qualities as well. Great job!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

43 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Today I completed the manual and box label art (no small thanks to Jim Hatch), and here is the box label art.

I shall have this ready for release a week Friday (8th May), with the Zulu being ready to go this Friday!

Right, back to the larger stuff....

Nice-looking box art, Chris. Couldn't agree more with Bob. Jim is not only a good builder, he has good design chops!!!

Ron

Cheers guys,

I know that some do not invest too much in manuals, but I know just how important a good step-by-step guide is, more so for beginners, who I fear have been more put off by cheap 'beginner' kits than enticed into buying more elaborate kits in the past - and/or inappropriate materials and assuming too much of the modeller, requiring them to bend, carve, shape parts that would have seasoned modellers struggling with! That is why for these kits, the instructions were as long as they needed to be, with no limit on page numbers or plan sets. More expensive, for sure, but I think a small price to pay if they entice more people into the hobby by being very happy with their end result, rather than giving up half way through and putting them off for good.

I do feel Tanganyika may have been better for a complete novice, though, as pear wood is damned hard!

logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I know that some do not invest too much in manuals, but I know just how important a good step-by-step guide is, more so for beginners

As a beginner and maybe a hair above a complete novice this is critical. I would hate to mess something up when I intend on putting so much time and effort in and having quality explanations and detailed pictures helps give one confidence in carrying out each step. For a beginner I think the instructions are probably the most important aspect of the kit. One of the more difficult steps (to me so far) was fairing and seeing those guides etched into the frames will certainly help the build!

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

Cheers guys,

I know that some do not invest too much in manuals, but I know just how important a good step-by-step guide is, more so for beginners, who I fear have been more put off by cheap 'beginner' kits than enticed into buying more elaborate kits in the past - and/or inappropriate materials and assuming too much of the modeller, requiring them to bend, carve, shape parts that would have seasoned modellers struggling with! That is why for these kits, the instructions were as long as they needed to be, with no limit on page numbers or plan sets. More expensive, for sure, but I think a small price to pay if they entice more people into the hobby by being very happy with their end result, rather than giving up half way through and putting them off for good.

I do feel Tanganyika may have been better for a complete novice, though, as pear wood is damned hard!

The manual to Speedy is super. So far I have basically not looked at all at the plans which I think will first be needed when i start with the masts. The manual is also much more easy to have at the workbench without taking up too much space. Sometimes I have done things in a slightly different order but most of it has worked out well for me. The only thing I am missing is more close up photos of the stern.     

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

1 hour ago, Vane said:

basically not looked at all at the plans

Just a suggestion, look at the plans even if its after you've read Chris' instructions. Chris is unique, seldom will you see instructions as good as his.  I built the model I just finished without ever looking at the instructions. I was able to build the whole model just using the plans.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn: when I think of all the hours Chris puts into writing instructions, I think he'll feel crushed when he reads your post! ;)  

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Isn't there some ancient wisdom about how many words it takes to equal a picture?  They are not really equal though, especially in ship modelling.  To my everlasting shame and misfortune, if there are pictures, I have too often ignored the words, and regretted it.

Ron

I have always used the superbly drawn plans that accompany Chris's models, even the "old school" drafted ones that come with the Caldercraft kits. His more recent plans with Amati/Victory are CAD and excellent. I've noted only a few minor errors over the past few years in these drawings. I agree with Glenn that plans (in logical reference scales- like in the Vanguard Alert/Speedy kits) are sufficient for me; a caveat however: there are many modelers who do not have technical/engineering backgrounds, so "instruction manuals" (with explanations and photos) are an important component to building a model without creating undue anxiety.

I applaud Chris's efforts to keep EXPANDING his (and our unique hobby) customer base by investing considerable effort to make very good "Building Manuals."

Ron

Ron

On 4/27/2020 at 6:32 PM, druxey said:

I think he'll feel crushed when he reads your post! ;)  

I’ve been at it awhile. Chris also provides brilliant and detailed plans. My point is he (and Chuck) is the exception not the rule. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Cheers guys!

OK, just taken delivery of the Zulu box label, plans and manual, so the kit is now in stock (apart from optional sails, still delayed due to lockdown restrictions..)

There is a 36 page full colour manual and 7 50x70cm plan sheets.

Zulu plans 3.jpg

Zulu plans 1.jpg

Zulu box 1.jpg

Zulu plans 2.jpg

logo.jpg

Congratulations on your next best seller.  Well done!

And...amazing instructions. I agree with the best way to bring on new modelers is kits with sufficient instructions to guide them to success. Chris does just that. 

Regards,

Glenn

OK, have just put the Fifie Lady Eleanor on pre-sale. I expect the printed material next week, and all orders will be sent out as soon as I have the plans, manual and box label delivered.

I have 14 kits in stock and 12 pre-stitched sail sets in stock.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/order-fifie-lady-eleanor/

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.01.10.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.00.55.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.00.43.jpg

logo.jpg

I’ve looked at wooden ship kits for many years now, and I always seemed to come away unimpressed. I’ve built Dumas R/C kits in the past and usually had a blast with them, but I never once thought about wood display models, other than one long forgotten half scratchbuilt wannabe take on a Boston Whaler a few decades back.

I had seen some of Jim’s reviews of Vanguard’s kits on LSM, and made an offhand comment about how far ship models have come in 30 years.  Well, game on. At Jim’s continuous urging, I bought the most upgraded version of Speedy still available and all I can say is he gives good advice. Never again will I doubt. 

The Speedy kit is literally everything that all those other old boxes of sawdust and warped plywood could never be, a  builder’s kit of a stunningly gorgeous little brig that screams “BUILD ME”.

I had the kit shipped to my office and literally had it unpacked and spread out on my desk. My employees thought it was hilarious, a 54 year old big kid drooling over sticks of wood. 

That evening I joined MSW and am ready to jump in as soon as I clear my build backlog. 

Chris Watton, your Service is second to none. It arrived a week after I ordered it, undamaged despite the craziness of the pandemic stressed post. 

The kit looks absolutely straightforward to me, which is saying something, because I’ve never built a tall ship past the ancient 1:96 Constitution.

Now I just hope I can make Speedy shine like she deserves to. Because if I do, I guarantee you she’ll sell man more copies to the local Texas model builders.  I do tend to show what I build. 

Hats off, Sir!

Edited by ErnieL

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

15 hours ago, chris watton said:

OK, have just put the Fifie Lady Eleanor on pre-sale. I expect the printed material next week, and all orders will be sent out as soon as I have the plans, manual and box label delivered.

I have 14 kits in stock and 12 pre-stitched sail sets in stock.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/order-fifie-lady-eleanor/

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.01.10.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.00.55.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-02-at-13.00.43.jpg

Chris, I do struggle with pink sails on a manly ship, but look for my order. :) She is a lady, I keep telling myself. 

Edited by ErnieL

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

8 hours ago, ErnieL said:

Chris, I do struggle with pink sails on a manly ship, but look for my order. :) She is a lady, I keep telling myself. 

Thank you Ernie, and for your very kind words!

The sails are actually this colour, not pink (thanks to Photoshop masks..). The sail set is sold un-dyed, so you can choose what colour - anything from brown to dark red is fine.

I would advise using a cocoa brown dye for sails, or brown for one and dark red ('Brick Red') for another, shades seem to vary greatly.

For Alert and Speedy, I have laser cut a new batch of parts, and because I now know my machine, they do look a lot better, presentation wise.

Fifie Main Picture 1.jpg

logo.jpg

OK, I have done all I can for Flirt right now, so the past couple of days I have been designing sets of two scales of cannon carriages, which will be laser cut in 1.5 pear (for 4-9 pounders) and 2mm pear for 12-32 pounders.

Sizes will be (in both 72nd and 64th)

1.5mm Pear, (sold in pairs)

4-Pounder Carriage

6-Pounder Carriage

9-Pounder Carriage

2mm Pear, (sold in pairs)

12-Pounder Carriage

18-Pounder Carriage

24-Pounder Carriage

32-Pounder Carriage

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

OK, I have done all I can for Flirt right now,

I'm looking forward to seeing the Flirt come together. Are you experiencing any problems with getting materials due to the pandemic? Is the approximate ETA still around July? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, BobG said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Flirt come together. Are you experiencing any problems with getting materials due to the pandemic? Is the approximate ETA still around July? 

No problems with materials, blocks for the MS version however, may be a problem. Russia is in total lockdown for another month at least, as far as I can tell, and cannot sell the MS Flirt until I get the pear blocks.

logo.jpg