10 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Any chance you will be making those cannon available apart from the kit?

Yes, I have 10 sets arriving next Tuesday, followed by another 30 sets the week after, and will be on sale separate from the kit.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thanks for the update, oh and Happy Birthday Chris!!👍😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

27 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Thanks for the update, oh and Happy Birthday Chris!!👍😃

Thank you! :)

I would love to know how many are interested in the Master Shipwright version (boxwood planking, pearwood blocks and laser cut parts etc.), so I know how many initial kits to make up. If anyone is interested in that one, please let me know, cheers.

logo.jpg

Personally I'm going for the pear or cherry version as sadly boxwood version is a little bit out of my price range.😥

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Chris

I will definitely go for the boxwood version.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I will pull the text I wrote for Speedy page:

There are three versions of the kit to choose from, but all have the following features:

14 sets of laser cut materials, including a laser cut and engraved deck

7 separate photo etched sheets in brass and copper

Copper plates for hull below waterline

18' Cutter

Double planking in limewood and a choice of second planking woods highlighted below

Walnut dowel for masts and yards

10 separate rigging thread sizes in black and natural

14 cast resin 4-Pouunder cannon and 20 cast resin half-Pounder swivel cannon

Cast resin 1:64 scale figure of Lord Cochrane himself

60-page full colour building manual and 10 sheets of 50x70cm plan sets

Two cradles, one for when building and a clear acetate display cradle for the competed model

All other materials and fittings required to build the model as shown.

The version differences are:

Standard – Laser cut MDF, 0.8mm ply and basswood parts and high-quality Tanganyika strip for second planking. - £225

Premium – As above but pearwood strip for the second planking. - £245

Master Shipwright Edition (Limited to 20 numbered kits) – £340

As above but with boxwood second planking

Pearwood laser cut parts instead of basswood

Machined pearwood block and deadeyes (Master Korabel blocks and deadeyes)

The book Cochrane the Dauntless: The Life and Adventures of Admiral Thomas Cochrane, 1775-1860 Paperback by David Cordingly, which contains a whole chapter relating to Cochrane and the Speedy.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These are the initial release versions and, because I am being very fussy with the laser cutting, the initial releases have all the cutting done in the UK (but at much higher cost), so I will only have 19 Master Shipwright (pear laser) kits and 15 standard/premium (basswood laser) kits upon release. I receive the 15 laser cut sets for Speedy in MDF, 0.8mm ply and basswood from my UK supplier on Monday (Quite literally just paid for that order over the phone, after just being told the parts are ready to ship). I am just waiting for production PE parts from Italy, which are being done now and expect my courier to pick them up either next Friday or the week after at the latest.

I will open the Speedy for pre order soon, as everything else for the Speedy kit is with me and I am happy with the parts, and I know the PE is being done after I gave the go ahead yesterday morning once I checked them over (production samples).

logo.jpg

If I wasn't about to start on my scratch of Amphion again then I would be tempted by the Master as well. Better quality wood makes for a better modelling experience and a better resultant kit..usually. 

I love what you are doing here for the ship modelling community as well and I hope it works out well.

Master Shipwright version ordered - can't wait ('though I'll have to - my wife insists I can't even look at it until Christmas)!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Sorry to be a PIA but are the overall dimensions listed anywhere? I’m guessing the hull is about 14” so 20 to 21 inches overall length? Close? 🙂

6 hours ago, ASAT said:

Sorry to be a PIA but are the overall dimensions listed anywhere? I’m guessing the hull is about 14” so 20 to 21 inches overall length? Close? 🙂

Dimensions of completed model are:

Length - 700mm (Around 27.5")

Width - 230mm

Height - 492mm

Speedy Box Art.jpg

logo.jpg

Yesterday I had a couple of samples of laser cutting from a sample file I gave the company and 1.5mm pearwood I also supplied. I want a certain high spec laser machine, recommended to me by someone who already has one. The company that sells them asked what the machine will be used for. (80% cutting and 20% engraving). He recommended a cheaper version, can you tell which is the cheaper version from the samples (or did they over-egg it as a ruse...). Clearly, the 'Nuclear' option is out of the question, so it seems I will go for my first choice and what was initially recommended to me, which suits perfectly the type of work I want it to do. It will be quite an investment, but I really do feel that I need one, looking forward.

As I mentioned, I have ordered a LOT of pearwood sheet from Germany, which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. For my third kit, I am erring on having only one quality option, pearwood laser cut parts and pearwood second planking, with cast resin decoration for figurehead and stern and cannon, and laser engraved deck planking. Also, as I have mentioned, I shall be having 15 Alert kits done by the UK laser company with pearwood laser cut parts, a 0.8mm ply sub deck (kit will still have boxwood deck planking) and cannons in black resin. I shall have one sample kit ready next week, so I can check it over. Price will be £220 with the different materials and resin cannon. Ultimately, I want all kits to have the same quality parts and materials, and it seems that the combination of pearwood laser sheets and pearwood second planking, together with quality castings is what most want (I would too, to be honest).

Laser comparison Spirit and X252.JPG

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

8 minutes ago, druxey said:

Interesting comparison of quality in cutting!

It is, and I am glad I insisted on them using one of my files, rather than their own which would bare no real resemblance to what I need the machine for. That is the difference between an 80W laser (top pic) at half the price of the narrower beamed 40W machine (bottom pic).

I did forget to add the retention tabs to each part, though, which is why some bits are missing, nothing to keep them in place once cut...

logo.jpg

Keep this up Chris and you’re going to put a lot of kitbasher’s out of business! You have really “raised the bar”! What the heck am I going to do with all the wood? Might have to start carving or something 😁

1 hour ago, ASAT said:

Keep this up Chris and you’re going to put a lot of kitbasher’s out of business! You have really “raised the bar”! What the heck am I going to do with all the wood? Might have to start carving or something 😁

Thank you!

My wife has been packing the Speedy kits today and I can tell you, the box is quite heavy (even without the PE). I do not think there is any part of this kit that I am not happy with.

logo.jpg

Just took a couple of pics of what's inside the box. This is Master Shipwright kit number 9, and is just awaiting the photo etched parts to be added, so when they arrive, they can be shipped immediately.

Because everything is protected in bags, I included what cannot be seen again. (Main component parts).

I should find a clear fittings tray, to show off the blocks, cannons etc. but they are all in that little box, quite safe..

Speedy parts 6.jpg

Speedy parts 8.jpg

Speedy parts 9.jpg

Speedy parts 10.jpg

Speedy parts 2.jpg

Speedy parts 3.jpg

Speedy parts 4.jpg

logo.jpg

I just had another batch of laser cut parts for Speedy arrive, this time the premium version with basswood laser cut sheets, and they look very nice.

Also, I had a sample set of the Alert complete laser cut parts for a top end version of Alert. I made minor changes to some parts, and the deck is now moved to 0.8mm plywood, and the wooden parts are now in pearwood. I added a couple of pics of the Alert samples, one with all of the sheets, and another with the changes.

Alert new laser 1.jpg

Alert new laser 2.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Lots of stuff arriving this morning! Just had another 30 Speedy kits worth of resin cannon, this time in black resin (Alert black cannon arriving Wednesday)

Also included is a resin casting for the domed canopy sample for the third kit. There was no way I was going to assume the customer would want to make this part out of wood. It was likely copper anyway.

Canopy 1.jpg

Canopy 2.jpg

Black resin cannon.jpg

logo.jpg

Chris, Isn’t it about time to reveal the identity of your third Sloop/Brig/??? offering.  That one puts me one step closer to the 50/74 Gun Frigate I’m lusting for, however if this next project is a bit larger than the first two and offered in a Master Shipwright edition I could be tempted to purchase both - I think you mentioned that the frigate’s would be too cost prohibitive to offer a Master level kit right? 

On 11/26/2019 at 1:50 AM, ASAT said:

Chris, Isn’t it about time to reveal the identity of your third Sloop/Brig/??? offering.  That one puts me one step closer to the 50/74 Gun Frigate I’m lusting for, however if this next project is a bit larger than the first two and offered in a Master Shipwright edition I could be tempted to purchase both - I think you mentioned that the frigate’s would be too cost prohibitive to offer a Master level kit right? 

I will in time, I can say that it will be quite pretty!

Yesterday I had 10 sets of Alert 6 and half pounder cannon barrels arrive, with another 30 sets being cast now. 

These will now be offered as an optional extra with the original Alert kit, and will be included in the upcoming second edition Alert kit, which will have a higher price to reflect the high cost of the resin cannon and pearwood laser cut parts and 0.8mm birch ply deck.

Alert new 6 pounder cannon.jpg

logo.jpg

I must say that it is a true pleasure to follow your work Chris. Really high standards.

All of the kits looks beautiful, but will wait for a frigate (my dream is still Bellona),  because I still have a lot of work to do with the brig Mercury.

Keep up good work!

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Vanguard Models Master Shipwright kit of HMS Speedy!!

I will put up a thread very soon on this with all details… but the first impression of this kit is simply "wow"!

Everything packed very nicely and protected. Other kits I have bought has been quickly packed with sawdust and manuals with folded paper etc. Here you can really see that someone has made an effort in protection and layout. I have just briefly looked at all the wood and the parts and its simply way beyond what I have worked with previously. Only problem is that if I get used to this level of quality I wont be able to go back to my other kits....

And also a big thanks to Chris who let me order a kit before the official release and it was delievered very quickly to Sweden where I live!   

20191127_135558.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

3 minutes ago, Vane said:

Vanguard Models Master Shipwright kit of HMS Speedy!!

I will put up a thread very soon on this with all details… but the first impression of this kit is simply "wow"!

Everything packed very nicely and protected. Other kits I have bought has been quickly packed with sawdust and manuals with folded paper etc. Here you can really see that someone has made an effort in protection and layout. I have just briefly looked at all the wood and the parts and its simply way beyond what I have worked with previously. Only problem is that if I get used to this level of quality I wont be able to go back to my other kits....

And also a big thanks to Chris who let me order a kit before the official release and it was delievered very quickly to Sweden where I live!   

20191127_135558.jpg

Really nice! You have somewhat a kit collection now :D

9 hours ago, mugje said:

Really nice! You have somewhat a kit collection now :D

Yeah but he has four in work right now... what's one more......?? Plus we've all seen the Caldercraft stuff in bulk, the Speedy is going to shake up the whole industry!!!