Mi24D Hind by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:33 scale - CARD - Russian Attack Helicopter

Superb work Danny. The kit may be a good one, but it takes a true master to realise its full potential and you are doing just that.

What a magnificent beast!  Love the details!  I remember making a little 1/72 plastic one years back in Hungarian air show display livery...

DSC00040.jpg

looks fantastic Danny  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Superb work  of a beast of a helicopter,  I was lucky  years back to see a couple in the flesh flying at an airshow  - what a helicopter.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The two air intakes needed careful assembly. I did most of the work on a piece of MDF with double-sided tape attached to make it easier (read POSSIBLE :D ) to put them together :

IMG_5949.JPG

IMG_5950.JPG

IMG_5951.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

This is the skin that covers the transmission. It has an internal skin as well :

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG

The next skin forward has two 90 degree tubes fitted to it. They need to be fitted to the skin before it's fitted :

IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very fine work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Next to be made is the central turbine. I'm pretty happy with the way the rotor shaft turned out :

IMG_5958.JPG

The fascia surrounding the turbine wasn't real easy to make :

IMG_5965.JPG

IMG_5966.JPG

I prepare several skins at once to make sure everything fits properly. A fair bit of dry fitting is involved :

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

I found another guy on a Czech Papermodelling site (needs Translator) who has built this model. This bloke is above my skill level, and his build log has come in very handy when I get a bit stuck in the instructions. He's also documented most problems he's had along the way so I can (hopefully :D ) avoid them. This stage was one of those, and I'm very grateful to him. Apparently he didn't fair some of the framing enough around the turbines, so I made sure that I did :

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5964.JPG

The turbines and air intakes fitted :

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

IMG_5974.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Fantastic work you should feel proud of yourself what you are creating.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

look'in sweet Danny..........good thing I'm seeing an expertly built model like this.......I'd never be able to build one in my lifetime  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

My gast has been seriously flabbered...  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And now, many people will realize why Halinski are considered the "gold standard" of card models. Basically, ALL Halinski models have this level of detail and degree of difficulty -- they don't do beginner or intermediate models. I have only completed one Halinski model successfully, and the other got the better of me and ended up being binned. Finishing one is kind of a badge of honor in the card modeling world.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you all once again :) .

The next section of skins have some interesting pieces fitted to them. There is a louvered panel which took me over a day to make :

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

Another fun piece on the back skin :

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

The next section toward the tail :

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

The Czech guy thought he had a problem with the length of the framing, and it is actually shorter than the skin, but with the right amount of fairing the problem became obvious and mine fits perfectly. However I did make a bit of re-enforcement where it attaches to the forward section. I'm not fitting the two sections together until most of each has been completed for ease of handling. I've dry-fitted both sections together and the fit is perfect :) :

IMG_5986.JPGIMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

She's going to be BIG :D :

IMG_5987.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

On 5/27/2019 at 1:19 PM, Old Collingwood said:

I found this link to a mi24d  in a uk museum  - scroll down past the  first two pics, and there are some  good close up and interior  pics.

This chopper was also featured in several movies including one of the Rambo films. (Rambo III I think).  Have a look at the film for a good look at it in  action.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

12 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

This chopper was also featured in several movies including one of the Rambo films. (Rambo III I think).  Have a look at the film for a good look at it in  action.

Dave,   In the Rambo film  it was a Puma  mocked up to be a Hind   -   curtosy of the film and the net.

OC.

rambo-iii-49.png

Current builds  

Completed works.

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I continued further toward the tail, completing the fin and elevators. These went together without too many dramas. I've changed my method of skinning to a certain degree. I now glue the skin together along the edges and slip it over a faired framing, doing more fairing until it's a good fit and the skin slips in easily before gluing them together :

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

Although it won't be fitted until the end of the build I made the tail rotor. This is quite a complex arrangement, and will be good practice for the main rotor later. Here are most of the parts :

IMG_5994.JPG

First part is a universal joint :

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

The rotor arms. Wire is used for strengthening :

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

The finished assembly :

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

IMG_6006.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

the tail rotor looks great :)    nice to see a picture of the model done so far .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work  looking really smart.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:18 AM, Dan Vadas said:

found another guy on a Czech Papermodelling site (needs Translator) who has built this model. This bloke is above my skill level, and his build log has come in very handy when I get a bit stuck in the instructions. He's also documented most problems he's had along the way so I can (hopefully :D ) avoid them. This stage was one of those, and I'm very grateful to him. Apparently he didn't fair some of the framing enough around the turbines, so I made sure that I did

Wait...

i need to correct a few points.:

1,   Forum is not Czech, it is Slovak. .SK part of web address suggests that (not nitpicking at all...)

2, Brzdic (his name) is not only above your skill, he has a chair in Vallhala, Pantheon, Round table and at every other place of full of mythical skills.

3, yes, he is that good...

4, reason for some parts not fitting is according to him not only fairing, but most probably the fact that he laminated parts himself, on his own stock and did not account for thickness properly. it just shows, how precise Halinski is...

dont mean to hijack your post, but id like to show what i have been working yesterday. it is by no means a quality i could compare to yours, hell no. you are quickly becoming one of the most skillful paper modellers i have ever encountered.

if you dont mind, i present my attempt at Hms Victory lanterns. One of them so far. Took me a day and needs retouching if edges.

CC45A629-D354-4B49-BF1B-A8126290D798.jpeg

7A08EB0D-CFE4-4ADF-9EA1-2AE08F71536C.jpeg

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

22 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Forum is not Czech, it is Slovak

Oops, my bad :( . Sorry about that Pav.

22 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Brzdic (his name) is not only above your skill, he has a chair in Vallhala, Pantheon, Round table and at every other place of Mythology.

Yes, he is that good...

Yep, I have to agree with that. However (blowing my own trumpet here ;) :D ) I think my turbine inlet fascia turned out better than his. Then again, if I hadn't found his build log where he warned about the potential for error it would have turned out a lot worse :D . Brzdic's is the first pic, mine is the second :

Turbine Fascia.jpg

IMG_5968.JPG

Nice work on the lantern Pav.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Very impressing work Danny,

and so well detailed

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The tail sections have been fitted together :

IMG_6007.JPG

This looks like some kind of cooler, oil perhaps ?

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

Last of the bigger pieces for the tail section :

IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

The struts of the rear support :

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The elevator support wire needed a piece of paper wrapped around it :

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

Last of the pieces for the tail section. Yes, they are meant to be mounted at an angle :

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

amazing ..........really looks great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Fantastic work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me