M16 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage w/ Church Ruin by Jack12477 - 1:35 scale - Tamiya / Verlinden - FINISHED

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

The "rear wheels" are a tank tread.

I knew that, but my eyes still want to see real wheels and tires at the rear differential. It is kind of like looking at a Stryker. For some reason it seems like it should have tracks.

capture-13.jpg?w=624

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yea, I've seen the Stryker, Lou, always wondered about those tires tho. A good marksman with a amour piercing round or a .50 cal round could easily take out all 4 tires on one side and disable the thing.  Kinda hard to disable a tank tread with anything short of a bazooka or RPG or another artillery round.

Small Update:

I finished building the front and rear assemblies and getting them attached to each other.

IMG_7984.JPG.51c313c489998a8d0d57059679b1e734.JPGIMG_7985.JPG.54b7fd13501fd4a26776e79b356e7ab3.JPG

I am using Tamiya brand Olive Drab paint for the entire body.  In comparing it to another model of this same vehicle I made back in the 1980s using Floquil brand Olive Drab paint I notice that the Tamiya is noticeably darker in color than Floquil was some 40 years ago. And at that time Floquil's paints match the US' Federal Standard (FS-55) color charts.    See the comparison below. Model in background is the 1980s Floquil painted version.  Notice how much darker the newer model in foreground is with Tamiya brand paint.

IMG_7987.JPG.47cc0abfca5363b07317089b02cd0fb8.JPG

Hmm the older OD looks a bit more of a dusty green rather than the darker green of the newer OD! 

Build looking good tho'😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I think both colors are "accurate." OD seems to vary so much from one week or another. Our helicopters were all OD color but no two looked quite the same shade. Sometimes even different parts of the same helicopter didn't match in hue.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The Stryker tires are designed (according to Google search) such that they can run flat.  They're not bullet proof but the pressure can be controlled from inside the cab (built in compressor apparently).

Looking good, Jack.  And Lou is right.  Don't sweat the "shade"....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many moons ago, I was a swamper for dozers working in the mountains doing gas and oil pipelines. Because of mud and clay sticking to the tracks, would have to clean and adjust the tracks daily, sometimes  multiple times a day. Otherwise, the tracks would jump right off the drive sprockets. I'm certain military tracked vehicles would need the same kind of regular maintenance, which is why I believe they went to wheels/tires on some of these newer combat vehicles. Of course extremely heavy vehicles such as M-1's need the tracks to spread out the extreme weight of the vehicle over a larger surface area.

I think at least some of the newer wheeled vehicles were done for the relative simplicity of using wheels. As Craig explains tracks can be a PIA to keep tensioned and maintained.Wheels also offer higher speeds without causing other issues common to tracks. As for their bullet proof characteristics, it probably makes little difference if the tire can take a .50 hit when the armor of a Stryker can just barely take that caliber of hit. Even though they look like tanks, they are really personnel carriers and history shows us what happens when you put a Battle Cruiser in a line of battle against a Battle ship.

Apparently others felt much the same way and intend to use this instead of the Stryker mounted with a heavy gun.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a23206/griffin-light-tank-general-dynamics/

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, the Stryker is supposed to be "air portable'... Adding tracks may also have pushed it over the max weight.

That link Lou, is interesting.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Finished the M16 half track this morning.  The decals were a bit of a problem due to their age. Took a long time soaking in water before they were release from the paper and then some were brittle and broke off pieces as soon as I applied them to the model. Guess I will just chalk up the missing stuff as "battle damage".  Next up is some touch up of the paint and then some weathering of the model before I address the diorama scene itself. Still trying to visualize how I want it to appear.

Some pre-decal photos

IMG_7988.JPG.b6e4a401f19702053fa9b7357d0ef48f.JPGIMG_7989.JPG.8a1b43f33473148177d9a870e3f9cd80.JPGIMG_7990.JPG.83d8a4cc9a063fa65de34570578a10a4.JPGIMG_7991.JPG.70c97b45e545e182e0e77afc894adbe5.JPGIMG_7992.JPG.fa418780f8f6a0373d1a213ca72ae236.JPG

Post decal application

IMG_7994.JPG.e3624c54fdd59b0448b40b6446e02111.JPGIMG_7995.JPG.4bbab1887a5456b294ef362142c0cd7e.JPG

Little OOOOOPS on the speed limit decal - slipped after I applied it and turned to the other side of model. Oh well.  Soldier must have been a little drunk when it taped the stencil on the back

IMG_7996.JPG.82782975655b51e572e34d5c35c70480.JPGIMG_7997.JPG.6f838287b419c911fe75275fba70b071.JPGIMG_7998.JPG.42d18beba51f0c0dbb39b98b9da5ae17.JPGIMG_7999.JPG.12f7183eca91812450de66e5ea77c5e7.JPGIMG_8000.JPG.1b42992a518f5109043d46826bc2440f.JPG

Very nice work Jack, I think the speed limit decal looks just fine at an angle.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 3/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, Old Collingwood said:

One of these  -  I built the kit years ago  - very nice kit.

Pic of the net.

OC.

hqdefault.jpg

I have that tank in my stash of completed models - only not in the camo colors shown on the box - just straight OD.

Nice work Jack. I wish I could make as much progress in a build as you guys do. I like the "Left hand drive" warning. They much have been spending some time in England where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

super job Jack...i've got at least four different tints of Olive Drab ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Nice work Jack. I wish I could make as much progress in a build as you guys do. I like the "Left hand drive" warning. They much have been spending some time in England where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road!:D

Could be worst  - Australia where they drive upside down.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Could be worst  - Australia where they drive upside down.

But they drive on the wrong side too! Seems they learned it from their English ancestors. So it seems they are not only upside down but backward too!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 minutes ago, lmagna said:

But they drive on the wrong side too! Seems they learned it from their English ancestors. So it seems they are not only upside down but backward too!

Good job Greg aint about.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, Old Collingwood said:

Good job Greg aint about.

How do you know? If one drives upside down and on the wrong side of the road they could end up anywhere!:D He might be sneaking up on your backdoor even now 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

How do you know? If one drives upside down and on the wrong side of the road they could end up anywhere!:D He might be sneaking up on your backdoor even now 

Are but  - our back door would be gregs  front  first floor  door  - he would  need to stand on his head  on upside down  stilts  - while jumping down/up down/up  and I wouldn't be able to understand him  as his speech would be upside down - back to front   - very odd.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:45 PM, Jack12477 said:

The "rear wheels" are a tank tread. ;)  Hence the name "half-track".   You will see shortly 

Actually, modified conveyor belts..... They had "America" & "Detroit"  flashing all over them.....

Great build so far.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice model!  Looking it the driver has a conventional steering wheel that I assume is connected to the front wheels.  With the weight on the treads it would seem to be also necessary to vary their speed relative to each other to maneuver the vehicle.  How does the driver do this?

Roger

32 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

How does the driver do this?

No clue ! ;) But,  I did notice a couple extra levers installed on the floorboards. I didn't see any explanation but will recheck the inventory list for any clues,

Roger, do a Google search on wwii m16 half track operation manual   look for an entry from biblio there is a pdf of the original operation manual. I can't post manual here or get a link, the entry just pops the entire manual up for you to view. Couldn't find much on manipulating the tracks other braking. 

Edited by Jack12477

47 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Nice model!  Looking it the driver has a conventional steering wheel that I assume is connected to the front wheels.  With the weight on the treads it would seem to be also necessary to vary their speed relative to each other to maneuver the vehicle.  How does the driver do this?

Roger

He doesn't, the bogies are driven by a rear axle with differential just like any other wheeled vehicle...  when you go into the turn, the differential handles the difference in inner to outer speed.... The rear return roller just freewheels....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

56 minutes ago, Egilman said:

He doesn't, the bogies are driven by a rear axle with differential just like any other wheeled vehicle...  when you go into the turn, the differential handles the difference in inner to outer speed.... The rear return roller just freewheels....

Thanks! Could not find that in the manual

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Thanks! Could not find that in the manual

You wouldn't find it in the operations manual, you will find it in the maintenance manual for the IHC M-3 Halftrack

Look up these tech manuals.....

TM-9-707 1943 IHC Halftracks

TM-9-710 1944 Basic Half-Track Vehicles -White, Autocar and Diamond T

TM-9-1710 1942 Powertrain (Axles, Transmission and Propeller Shaft) for Half-Track Vehicles

TM-9-1710C 1942 Chassis and Body for Half-Track Vehicles

They are all available for download online in PDF format everything you could ever want to know about WWII half tracks and they specifically cover the M-14 multiple gun motor carriage. the only difference between it and the M-16 was the M-14 had two .50 cals and the M-16 had four.

Edited by Egilman
Added source information

Quote:

On 3/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jack12477 said:

Thanks.  But you might want to delete the pdf file you seem to have accidentally uploaded. 

I deleted it for him, Jack.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: