Hawker Typhoon by Asat - Airfix- 1/24

ASAT

Well this is the one that started the bug.... I was gonna wait to start this but I’m waiting for stuff on all my other builds... I am going to build this with the aid of the Airfix magazine builds by James Hatch and Brett Green, leaning more to the Hatch version specifically.....  so here is the start of the cockpit- it looks more weathered in person, I’m finding that weathering silver/aluminum is more difficult than greens and black.....looks like I need to sand and fill some pin marks on the seat, I thought they would be covered by a seat cushion but not on this version? There is definitely a lot more flash/cleanup to do on this kit vs the 1/48 Airfix kits I’m doing. Any input or suggestions are definitely welcome!  

25DEC8C2-F36F-4E7B-AA19-154185C795B6.jpeg

A7B2663F-7454-4CA4-A57B-D27F786C9EE0.jpeg

719B9033-C4BD-48E4-B8ED-99BBD9460DC7.jpeg

92A290D6-515F-4942-AE14-385DF10745A0.jpeg

09F2B98E-5DEC-4FCA-AB55-89329E5D5306.jpeg

Edited by ASAT
Compliance

Work carefully cleaning up the flash, some of it may be attachment points for other parts. I use an #11 blade and a number of various grades of sanding sticks for cleanup. I use Vallejo putty to fill gaps, as do a number of the other modelers on this site.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Work carefully cleaning up the flash, some of it may be attachment points for other parts. 

I found that out the hard way, lucky it still fit ok... that is one area where the airfix instructions are lacking, it doesn’t always show clearly where everything attaches. I thought I cleaned up the parts on the areas that will show, but the camera is pretty brutal at showing flaws.... need a bit of work in a few areas

perhaps a a trimmed piece of thin leather would cover them over.  nice start on the air frame :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Lou, looking great and I'll follow with interest.  What will the final model look like?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Well, I worked over some area’s and have all the cockpit stuff done except for the instrument panel.... waiting for the airscale decals for it.... started work on the Napier engine, filling in a couple huge pin marks that will be right on top of the Sabre motor....

30598A58-071C-4A62-8904-C6BABF8FEC54.jpeg

536F8999-9779-4A5E-BAF8-E43788A242EF.jpeg

B8885004-1A72-4FDD-A892-FABB9F32917E.jpeg

58E9169C-FE88-49C8-8956-76413C4FCEEA.jpeg

That looks really nice  - so much detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking very nice Lou!😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looking fantastic Lou. You certainly know how to get up and move along in a build!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks James, whew! Had me nervous for a bit there, I pulled out hose pieces, cleaned them up and the fit is great so far... still not sure how I’m going to tackle the canopy turtle deck area, I want to clean it up and re scribe and rivet but I’ve never done either of those things before.... gotta be easier than grafting in a whole new panel though....

Here’s the main block and supercharger of the Napier motor - just dry fitted and some initial dry brushing to accent the detail - there are little bolts there that I didn’t even see till I started brushing! I’m having a blast on this motor! I hope I still do when I start doing all the pipes and wiring - looks pretty hairy!

66367AEB-5A6E-45B7-AADE-3ACDD34DAF5C.jpeg

BEAB47D2-736D-48D8-BC2D-28A2CBEE3C6F.jpeg

4F842A88-33A4-49A2-ACD3-873786699CEB.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

That looks  really nice   so much detail at this scale.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

24 cylinders with two spark plugs per cylinder... I'd sure hate to be one changing spark plugs.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great Lou, how much of this detail will be visible - I hope lots!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Glued on the supercharger and got the motor installed, quite a bit of plumbing to do and some of them are like those old ring puzzles.... got to twist and finesse them into place - a bright spot light would help to see some of the termination points hidden in the interior of the maze.... 😅

157047D5-9C7B-46CC-8E89-E4C174CFDB1D.jpeg

D30D0ACD-C30C-416D-8704-4C14AB84A4E5.jpeg

A6EB30A9-29EA-42D1-8B77-89CC5B32F9D4.jpeg

26EDDD22-23D3-4DDD-8D6B-B1B9917F6555.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

That is really quite an engine Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, lmagna said:

That is really quite an engine Lou

I agree Lou, it’s one of the things that attracted me to the model, that and the air intake, reminds me of the A7-E’s that I worked on in the Navy....

12 minutes ago, ASAT said:

that and the air intake, reminds me of the A7-E’s that I worked on in the Navy

I have always thought that the Tiffy's big radiator intake gave it a particularly hulking and menacing look. My card modeling interests lean toward the interwar years, but I think that I might one day have a slot in my queue for a Typhoon. 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

18 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I have always thought that the Tiffy's big radiator intake gave it a particularly hulking and menacing look.

Yep, it would be a perfect platform for a shark’s mouth graphic.... 

very nice progress Lou........engine is really neat!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Did some more engine work, the ignition harness to be exact, there was a plethora of flash/mold lines - itty bitty little tiny lines that stuck out like a sore thumbnail? 😁Took quite a few hours to get them ready for paint, lots of fine work mostly with a #11 blade. Tried to emulate some of the Napier Sabre engine harness on google, seems like the main tubes are aluminum but have been heat soaked and discolored yellowish, the leads are kinda magnesium looking and the spark plug boots are brass. Washed it down with some engine weathering paints from AK interactive.... came out pretty good!

1DA4A5B7-C581-4486-A443-73BEC1D9BBCD.jpeg

7EFE2395-707E-4B4C-B513-DD2B35B0948A.jpeg

60AEA5DA-366F-4DAE-A8F0-CC2F511F7604.jpeg

32C6CC80-D303-4079-BF93-D5B633D2E9F6.jpeg

On 4/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, Beef Wellington said:

Looks great Lou, how much of this detail will be visible - I hope lots!

Hi Jason, just saw this post again.... they give you several options to show detail - the one that shows the most has the whole nose de- paneled but I plan on depicting it like JamesH (James Hatch) did for his magazine builds with the port side engine exposed and a couple on the port side off around the intake/radiator.... I know it won’t look as good as his but at least I can impose on him as a resource!😀

EDITIO
EDITIO
1-ac1106463d.jpg

Looks nice Lou... That's one big baby....

Figured out where your going to build the hangar yet?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

'Yep - gonna build a big display shelf out in our sunroom, doesn’t get as much use as it used to, so I’m pretty sure I can move in and re-decorate without too much resistance....  maybe....😇

BA663656-9248-46C3-B16A-F94EF449C60E.jpeg