HMS Sphinx 1775 by Hollowneck - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I can't wait to see how you make the diorama, Ron...exciting!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

I'm hoping my "wind up" is helpful since it really does set a proper stage for the creation of the water. I contemplated going "plain" on the base, but this ship needed a little something more for its dramatic presentation.

There are layers of Home Depot house insulation (foam board) to glue together and shape which will get the process underway. Unusual tools for the first steps are coming up: bread knives, hot wire foam cutter, saw blades, etc.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 10/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, Thukydides said:

Its looking really good Ron.

Thank You, much appreciated. For me, crafting the presentation is yet another extension of the challenges and pleasure I get making these beautiful models. I transition from intricate rigging with surgeon's and dentist tools to chopping up large sections of plywood with power saws, sanders, jig saws and large cabinetry clamps.

Once Camilla's base is completed (but not yet stained and sealed), then it'll be time to make water... all in the endeavor to present the pinnacle of late 18th century technology: a fast-sailing frigate of His Majesty's Service.

Post base-making with my power tools, the ship's new Captain and the balance of my 3D-printed crew will get their colors.

Edited by hollowneck
typo/grammar

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

While waiting for the glue to dry on the model's case joinery, I made HMS Camilla's ensign, primed the new Captain and his cannoneers for their detailing and started affixing her 80+ rope hanks.

CAMEnsign01.thumb.jpg.43f16ae4b0b9bd329519360595688565.jpg

The British flag is made from copier paper (folded over), inkjet printed. I carefully shaped the flag with my fingers utilizing three different sized dowels.

The doubled thickness of the copier paper (and possibly some spray mount adhesive to hold the two sides together) holds its shape.

A quick spritz of dull cote spray magically turns the semi-gloss printed paper into a convincing fabric.

A single tackle block for the flag's halyard line was mounted to the gaff to haul the flag.

CAMEnsign02.thumb.jpg.79fa145141384a8d42c8d1d1d144a8e6.jpg

HMS Camilla's diorama will show her with a strong following wind, hence the largely unfurled ensign at her stern.

I have yet to make her Mainmast pennant which will also be made from paper. Because of the pennant's length, I'll mount a thin wire between the paper layers to retain its long waving shape (same wire  used for the sail bolt rope shaping)

CANGunCrewDelouse.thumb.jpg.eba0e862bac2d873c95866b5f9d21c93.jpg

The new 3D-printed Captain and his gun crew get primed prior to detail painting. The figure's thin base will be removed with a scalpel, not a disc sander this go-round!

I believe the detail painting of the figures will be a little easier with them temporarily glued in-place on the cardboard sheet. Holding these with fingers - even clamping tweezers - gets tedious. There are jigs made expressly for holding small figures but I don't have them.

CAMShroudHanks02.thumb.jpg.4841907f9e77c1f4701389a889e19443.jpg

A view of the rope hanks mounted to Camilla's mainmast shroud cleats (starboard).

A little trimming and dressing remains. Essentially, this last stretch of the rigging is complete at this position.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

9 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Nice work Ron, the Ensign looks convincing 👍

B.E.

Thank You, B.E. Your commentary is always much appreciated.

When I completed the flag and held it in place initially I was somewhat disappointed with the slight "sheen" of the paper. After touching-up the fold line with paints - but before tying it off to its halyard - I gave the flag a shot of dulling lacquer. Not knowing if it would react negatively with the inkjet colors, I had printed an extra sheet and tested the spray on it first to see if the lacquer would have an adverse affect.

As they say in the French Navy: "Tre´bien!, No problemo!"

Ron

Beautiful ensign, Ron! What exactly is copier paper...just regular weight, white paper for a printer?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, BobG said:

Beautiful ensign, Ron! What exactly is copier paper...just regular weight, white paper for a printer?

Thanks! No other nearby vessels will miss this ship's service and allegiance!🤫

Yes, also called "bond" photocopy paper, typically indicated also as #20 lb multipurpose printer paper.

As Brits might say: "Bog standard" but not literally meaning "The Bog." (which is the seat of ease to ship modelers...)

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Great work Ron. I've had my Sphinx sitting on a shelf in my workshop for a year now and I'd always intended her as a Navy Board-style model, partly because I've always wanted to do one and partly because it would take up much less space. Until I saw your Camilla that is. The splendid job you're making of her rigging and sails is making me think again. I'll blame you when my wife berates me for "filling the house with yet another huge model"! 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

3 hours ago, DelF said:

a Navy Board-style model,

Or you could bring Winchelsea out of on hold status😁

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

While crews, sails, and dioramas hold no interest for me to do personally I must say yours is interesting to follow and see how one is properly done. Definitely has to be one of the more unique Sphinx builds. Well done.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Big Stuff this past week or so. Sawing, hammering, gluing, sanding, detailing...you get the picture. In my basement shop where I can make sawdust ( I have two air systems: a plain ShopVac for vacuuming, and a ceiling mounted 'ShopFox' for all the tiny airborne particles.

CAMCase02.thumb.jpg.07147b60fa0b4ba41d68b2178222aa4c.jpg

HMS Camilla's diorama case completed. Tricky business to get the 4" high mitered corners precisely joined. Specialized 45/90 degree mitre clamps required. The model is positioned approximately in the case with an approximate list to starboard. The outside case measures 38" W X 28" deep. Height = 4" to case sides. The water may possibly be  slightly higher depending how I create the wave action of stormy weather.

Camilla will present herself considerably lower in the case once removed from the build clamper and resting her keel close to the plywood interior base - like all my other dioramas.

The yellow tube in the corner is Stainable Wood Filler (MinWax); I used it on the case and also on the model. The name says it all. It dries out rapidly and getting it out of its tube is a pain, but it does take stain well because it's a (somewhat) malleable paste with actual ground up wood; the solvent carrier evaporates rapidy so you need to work it as soon as it pokes out of its nozzle. Fingers work best I've found. 

CAMCase01.thumb.jpg.ad915eb3face9e796c7426d9497629cc.jpg

Another view. I am a model maker, and at best, an amateur cabinet maker. You know the saying: "Measure Twice, Cut Once?" I measured Thrice and still got it wrong!

I had to salvage enough from cutoff pieces of the casing millwork to recover from this boob on the LAST side (of course). The yellow glue joints to a three-piece completed side rail are somewhat evident here. This will be less of an issue once I detail sand and then give the case it's final staining (I'll wait until all the water is complete and the model is in place before deciding the final colors for the millwork). The slight mis-match on the lovely Acanthus pattern of the case bothers my eye a little, but I'll be able to live with my imperfection(s). 3 sides out of 4 isn't too bad, right?🤫

Now, my next posts will be diving into the deep end: Camilla's water awaits!

Edited by hollowneck
added text

Ron

On 11/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, glbarlow said:

While crews, sails, and dioramas hold no interest for me to do personally I must say yours is interesting to follow and see how one is properly done. Definitely has to be one of the more unique Sphinx builds. Well done.

Thanks Glenn, your comments are always appreciated.

As is evident, I like all the elements you personally find uninteresting. I have built a number of models presented in the conventional manner on pedestals on baseboards. However, the ones that get the most excited reactions - and often, deep discussions - are my diorama models of the last few years. They also turn me on the most too!

Ron

Who will notice a slight acanthus mismatch once the model and sea are complete? Nobody but you, Ron!

My favorite cartoon attached without further comment....

dilbert.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 minutes ago, hollowneck said:However, the ones that get the most excited reactions - and often, deep discussions - are my diorama models of the last few years. They also turn me on the most too!

Hi Ron,

Your last comment above is the the key to any hobbiest’s success. After all isn’t that why one persue’s a hobby in the first place?

Your dioramas are definitely something to behold as I can attest to having seen them in person. This one is no exception. Looking forward to seeing some water splashing around inside that “box”. 😁

Tom

6 minutes ago, druxey said:

Who will notice a slight acanthus mismatch once the model and sea are complete? Nobody but you, Ron!

My favorite cartoon attached without further comment....

dilbert.jpg

You're correct, I WILL notice.

I LOVE Dilbert. I'm certain he also builds model ships.

Thanks for the levity. Us model makers tend to take ourselves way too seriously at times (methinks).

Cheers Druxey!

Ron

11 minutes ago, toms10 said:

Hi Ron,

Your last comment above is the the key to any hobbiest’s success. After all isn’t that why one persue’s a hobby in the first place?

Your dioramas are definitely something to behold as I can attest to having seen them in person. This one is no exception. Looking forward to seeing some water splashing around inside that “box”. 😁

Tom

Thank you kindly, Tom.

I get very EXCITED having arrived at this next (and last) step. I certainly have ideas about what I want to create, but so much of this final phase is freeform, open-ended - seeing how the "Flow" goes. I've learned when "creating water," to remain open to the possibility of many happy surprises. This said, I do my homework by collecting a thick folder of water photos, and in this case (pun), the English Channel, which I've seen many times, firsthand. My challenge this time around may be to create "wispy" whitecaps on a troubled sea.

We'll Sea.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

On 11/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, DelF said:

Great work Ron. I've had my Sphinx sitting on a shelf in my workshop for a year now and I'd always intended her as a Navy Board-style model, partly because I've always wanted to do one and partly because it would take up much less space. Until I saw your Camilla that is. The splendid job you're making of her rigging and sails is making me think again. I'll blame you when my wife berates me for "filling the house with yet another huge model"! 

Derek

Thank you kindly, Derek. The larger "fighting sail" models many of us are fond of are space hogs when they're masted and rigged. My original plan for HMS Camilla was to also show her with stunsails! That is, until I measured what this would yield across her breadth. My extremely empathetic and supportive wife wasn't thrilled. I wanted to do it simply for the challenge of never having added these sails previously. I dreamed of replicating the look so many era painters have depicted of these beautiful ships under full sail.

As it stands I'm very fortunate to have a large home that already has an even dozen of my models scattered about. My wife calls our home "The Neilson Ship Museum." There is room for Camilla (I'm thinking about purchasing what's termed here as a "hi-top bar table" to set her completed diorama on) since it is large and nearly square-based. There is even space for Vanguard's new Indy, somewhere...🤔

Lucky me, I can rig my models until the whales come home, so-to-speak.

Go ahead, tell your wife a Yank made you do it. I'll take all the blame and bashing from afar. Just don't show her this photo of what greets our guests when they open our front hallway door!

Cheers - Your Speedy model is a beauty, superbly rigged. Go Large as they say here: build Sphinx with a full rig. You know you want to do it.

HMSArdentHall01.thumb.jpg.fbe94dfda1e65c6ccb76c1a510b2b31d.jpg

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Thanks Ron. I'll try and lay the blame on you but I'm not sure it'll wash.

8 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Just don't show her this photo of what greets our guests when they open our front hallway door!

Too late I'm afraid. This is our entrance hall - Speedy was only meant to be there temporarily but somehow temporary has turned into over a year:

IMG_5969_edited-1.thumb.jpg.8eca31863cba3511a0dd3a4b50d0d97e.jpg

Most of the pictures in the house are of ships and other maritime themes, which doesn't help. 

My last-ditch tactic will be to remind Karen that she bought me Sphinx as a present so ultimately it's her fault. But that's not a line I'll take unless I'm desperate (and preferably outside throwing distance!).

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Those front-hall photos make me cringe. Not because the models are not good - they are lovely  - but where are their protective cases???? Even if the cat doesn't play with them, the dust that will accumulate on the rigging.... Oh deary me!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That's coming out insanely good Ron.  Looking forward to your final display!

For your diorama settings, do you cut off part of the bottom of the hull to reduce the height?  If so, how do you do it?  Cutting through something strong like MDF bulkheads would be a bit nerve wracking!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That's coming out insanely good Ron.  Looking forward to your final display!

For your diorama settings, do you cut off part of the bottom of the hull to reduce the height?  If so, how do you do it?  Cutting through something strong like MDF bulkheads would be a bit nerve wracking!

Hey, Mike - big thanks, again.

The quick answer is that the model's keel will rest on the plywood bottom and in this instance (depending on the depth of the wave action in her diorama), I may add a small "shim" of insulation foam board under the keel to raise Camilla up slightly. On previous dioramas I've rested the bare keel on the base. No adhesives required. The surrounding foam and resultant water texturing materials hold her hull firmly in the open cutout of the foam board. I'm posting a quick couple photos of preliminary diorama materials next as I'm jumping into this soon...

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

3 hours ago, DelF said:

oo late I'm afraid. This is our entrance hall - Speedy was only meant to be there temporarily but somehow temporary has turned into over a year:

Derek, one word (well, two actually): lovely display. Your Speedy looks impressive, with good lighting and the gilded mirror is a nice touch.

I don't know about you but I do a "walkabout" every few weeks (no set schedule) with a can of compressed air and a small handful of long medical swabs - to reach some areas where the air blasts aren't enough to keep the dust bunnies from accumulating - especially on the rigging as #druxey has correctly noted. Frankly, this takes a couple hours to hit all my models but I get to be up close (again) with each one, noting where I could have done things better.🤔 And a by-product, the models stay mostly clean and still they tempt guests to closely inspect them. I purchase several cans of compressed air at a go: saves $. And I don't have to feel stingy when giving them air baths!🤣

Ron

3 hours ago, druxey said:

Those front-hall photos make me cringe. Not because the models are not good - they are lovely  - but where are their protective cases???? Even if the cat doesn't play with them, the dust that will accumulate on the rigging.... Oh deary me!

I had the exact same reaction.  I mean it, I think I lose sleep over Ron's open-air displays!!!!  I have my little, teeny, poorly executed Jolly Boat set way back in a open shelf unit, and I am still terrified whenever dog toys are getting thrown around.  Cats and ship models aren't compatible at all are they?!?!

The gathering storm...CAMWater01.thumb.jpg.a6b5397b074894a80a705db963624260.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory. Most (but not all) materials gathered. A couple prelim tools. Of course there will be sundry hand tools like various paintbrushes and cutting implements like a hotwire foam cutter, breadknife (for cutting the insulation foam), etc.  The insulation foam board is from HomeDepot and comes in 4 X 8 sheets like plywood. It had pre-scored cut lines so you can break it into sections so you can fit it in your vehicle if you don't drive a Ford F-250. I'll use multiple levels of this inexpensive material to build up the wave profiles. I also haven't shown various glue(s).

The bendable curve was held against Camilla's hull (port and starboard and a tentative waterline profile for both was transferred to spare pieces of 2" thick insulation); these will be used to trace the outline of the cutout in the base foam board for Camilla's hull. This cutout will need to be careful "finessed" with additional hand tools to create as tight a fit as possible to the model's hull to secure it in the foam board's cutout. Various acrylic materials molded along her full waterline will act as adhesion components to create her hull's wake - and, naturally "disguise" the small openings ("cracks") that will appear around her hull after placement.

CAMCaseColorTest.jpg.e749dcffdef92ae4aadec24c5b08c85f.jpg

Thinking about the case color in a natural wood finish. I'm leaning toward the right end of this cutoff piece of the case's millwork: oak stain with a chestnut stain (over-wipe) to fill the patterning. On the opposite end(left), the stain is chestnut only; at this point in time I feel it may be too dark. The ultimate decision will be made after the diorama is completed. To finish (and protect the wood) I'll use a Wipe-On Poly, and likely a semi-gloss. The bottom of the case will have felt bumpers.

Edited by hollowneck
added text, explanations

Ron

47 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

I had the exact same reaction.  I mean it, I think I lose sleep over Ron's open-air displays!!!!  I have my little, teeny, poorly executed Jolly Boat set way back in a open shelf unit, and I am still terrified whenever dog toys are getting thrown around.  Cats and ship models aren't compatible at all are they?!?!

Ha-ha. I'm sorry to give fellow MSWer's nightmares - the wholly unintended consequences of my Build Log!

Sorry, peeps.

I no longer have house pets, but in an earlier life I had 5 cats (2 house, 3 barn), and two dogs*. The cats had a pet door, the dogs - cozy doghouses. But this was before my wife and I were empty nesters after raising a combined 7 children. Most of our children now have pets - for their children, who do get VERY CLOSE TO Gampy's ships on occasion!

I'd NEVER seriously consider having pets with all my "open air" models. Well, maybe an iguana in a terrarium, or a fish tank, but no birds either! I'll now have nightmares dreaming about a pet parrot perched on a model's bowsprit!

* not counting 4 horses and usually 15-20 head of heifers, but they never set hooves inside our farmhouse...😂

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Camilla's Crew. My People.CAMCrew01.thumb.jpg.024bb29f2102ec547d79a457c57abe54.jpg

"Ready when you are, Capt'!" The 3D printed bases successfully removed with minimal orthopaedic foot damage. A limited palette of mostly subdued colors. Most can stand upright without the assistance of glue, but all will get CA'd to the deck in good time.

Vanguard (Chris Watton) has indeed gone "above and beyond " with these superbly-sculpted, 3/D printed resin figures. The quality of the material is excellent and after a simple primer coat they take tiny paint strokes nicely. The hands and face detail is very convincing once a light accenting wash is used. A reminder: you're looking at 1/64-scale figures that are nominally 28mm tall across the range. These identical figures are available from Vanguard in smaller as well as larger scales.

The legacy and standby Amati not-very-accurate-28mm (& 33mm)-scaled figures should now be retired to old fishing trawlers... However, we now also have Vanguard's scale-accurate and excellent fishermen figures at-hand.

CAMWigglesPainted.thumb.jpg.3aeb94d4a2616628dd15674ce2609972.jpg

Cpt. C.W.Wigglesworth is ready to take command of His Majesty's Frigate, HMS Camilla. He's perched within the Vanguard official shipping container and its special cushioning. That sword is on it's own sprue and gets affixed behind his coat after painting. At Vanguard, this figure is known by "Lord Cochrane”..to avoid confusion at the website should others desire his presence on their model.

CAMRopeMan.thumb.jpg.45966788eeb3b0a764395f36f9c2f1eb.jpg

"Could some bloke help me out with all this bloody rope?!" 80 rope coils completed.

CAMCrew03.thumb.jpg.a5b4c28a98e1a8be07676c704c1106b9.jpg

Three of Camilla's six-packed & sun-tanned cannon crew...

Their linen trousers need a good wash, eh?  - "After the day's gunnery practice," says Wigglesworth.

CAMCrew02.jpg.573e1b43f10e8ab7d9af6dcf397f8462.jpg

...and three more cannoneer brethren.

" ...an extra pint all-round for you blighters!" says a pleased Wigglesworth after a particularly good gunnery session.

Edited by hollowneck
added text, typo

Ron