Confederacy by Realworkingsailor - Model Shipways - 1:64 - Frigate

I can't quite remember when exactly I bought this Confederacy kit, probably sometime around 2012 or 2013. It sat for a long time in the closet, virtually untouched, except for the manual. I think I may have the most well read manual out there, (With tongue firmly planted in cheek; I think MS could do a little better job on the binding, it wasn't really designed to stand up to the rigours of repeated readings 🤪).

I finally started started picking away at this build some four or five years ago, between other projects. Progress has been largely sporadic, with more than a few backwards steps being taken. On many occasions the self-critic took over and the kit was shelved for months (or most recently for almost two years). For many reasons (of which, the above is just one), I've avoided a build log until now. I'm at a point where I'm satisfied with my progress so far, and I hope that the worst of the back stepping is now over.

I have completed the planking from the wales upwards and I'm now in the process of adding the first beaded moulding strips. 

IMG_1773.thumb.JPG.952514bdeff4399868a1391101655961.JPG

IMG_1777.thumb.JPG.022db772788a4d2600bf1ca75a00dd7e.JPG

The starboard side mouldings have been added, and the port side is in progress.

If things look a little wonky with the stern light window frames (cills and lintels), it was due to an unfortunate incident involving the large nose of a curious young german shepherd, that decided to investigate the stern, while work was being done on the other end of the ship. The interloping nose went undetected until the work required a shift in position... I'll leave the rest up to your imaginations.. but suffice it to say, it wasn't pretty. Pieces where quickly gathered up, and splintered wood glued back together. Before the time comes to attach the transom, everything will be revisited and correctly re-aligned.

IMG_1774.thumb.JPG.aee21b37d0d53af60ae67847b84aa145.JPG

I've used Minwax Golden Oak stain for the planking above the wale, with some Polyscale acrylics that I had kicking around, for the black wale and the red gun ports.  

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'll be following with a lot of interest! I am also building the Confederacy (currently halfway through the planking below the wales).

Your model is looking fantastic! 🙂

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Nice to see you back with a build log Andy. Looks great so far - had a chuckle over the doggy incident!

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments! 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, WalrusGuy said:

I'll be following with a lot of interest! I am also building the Confederacy (currently halfway through the planking below the wales).

Your model is looking fantastic! 🙂

I've had a browse through your log. Your build is looking pretty good too. Best of luck with the planking!

On 12/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, gjdale said:

Looks great so far - had a chuckle over the doggy incident!

That's about all anyone can do, really. I guess I got lucky, she didn't try to eat any of the pieces (unlike poor BE with his Sphynx...)

A small update to share. I've decided to deviate a little with the colour scheme. This goes against what I've read about the prototype's possible colour scheme (hopefully I don't get sent to boat-jail for blasphemy🤞). 

I've gone with a dark blue for the area of the hull between the mouldings:

IMG_1787.thumb.JPG.2bfa21a76520ee46fc48eecf4a0aba62.JPG 

The official name of the colour is Polyscale "C&O Enchantment Blue". I think it compliments well with both the Golden Oak stain as well as the red from the gun ports; Polyscale "NYC Pacemaker Red" (I know, I'm using "railway" colours, but they're what I have on hand).

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.dd85489207ecb00e88ad30d3168c17b8.JPG

I had thought to return to black for the QD bulwarks, but I've since decided against that, and I think I will leave them as is. I think the black would have muted the dark blue too much. On to paint the port side.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

That's looking great, Andy. What a beautiful ship.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

The blue looks good Andy. I think your choice of colour scheme will make a nice point of difference to other Confederacy builds out there.

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments!

On 12/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, gjdale said:

The blue looks good Andy. I think your choice of colour scheme will make a nice point of difference to other Confederacy builds out there.

Definitely that was the idea. I've looked through many logs, and everyone seemed to be doing largely the same thing. I want mine to stand out a little bit. At least until some future Confederacy builder decides to copy me, (which I don't mind at all), at least I will be able say I was the first, but for now I'm the "only".

On 12/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, David Lester said:

That's looking great, Andy. What a beautiful ship.

David

Thanks David, I'm doing my best. The Confederacy is a particularly graceful subject. The more I'm planking, the more her lines really start to show through.

On 12/13/2021 at 3:23 PM, Trussben said:

Nice to see you back with a build log Andy.

Thanks Ben, it's been a while. I needed to get myself back in the right headspace, not just for ship building, but logging it too. I think my passenger car blog (down in the shore leave section) helped quite a bit in that regard.

Well, I wanted to post a bit of an update, but when I went to upload an image, it came back with an error and "upload failed". I guess I shall have to wait until things get sorted out... hopefully soon.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy

Nice to hear from you again. The Confederacy really looks a beautiful subject and your work looks fine (as usual).

One question remains: Every time I  see that kit I wonder about those large holes in the hull between the great cabin and the quarter galleries. This is hardly according to the original plans. Doesn't it distort the look of the finished model or don't you ever notice it when looking in, through the windows?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Peter

7 minutes ago, flyer said:

Hi Andy

Nice to hear from you again. The Confederacy really looks a beautiful subject and your work looks fine (as usual).

One question remains: Every time I  see that kit I wonder about those large holes in the hull between the great cabin and the quarter galleries. This is hardly according to the original plans. Doesn't it distort the look of the finished model or don't you ever notice it when looking in, through the windows?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Peter

Thanks Peter! It’s great to hear from you too!

The only thing I can attribute the large hole for the quarter galleries, is simply the way Chuck designed the kit. Looking at finished photos of other builds and the prototype, it doesn’t seem to cause too many visual issues as far as I can tell. I’m sure if someone felt like it, they could frame in a smaller doorway if they so chose.

When I  finally get there, if I feel it looks a bit odd, then I’ll go with my usual trick of fogging the inside of the window “glass” with a bit of dullcote.  (Lets light through, but no peaking!)

It does make me wonder, though, if the outermost lights on the stern should be blacked out, as opposed to clear glass….

All things to think about.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Still having some issues uploading photos, (same error message keeps popping up... frustrating), but I've managed to get two pics uploaded today. Before Christmas, I wanted to post an update as I had completed the first belt of planking on the port side. After a little debate with myself whether or not to start the first belt on the starboard side (and a pause for Christmas), I'm still not sure what I want to do with the reveal on the starboard side, so in the spirit of giving myself more time to think about it (aka procrastination), I have now completed the second belt on the port side. As it is now, I'm going to finish off the port side planking before returning to the starboard side.

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.98b857253a48b85c2b764daf249c2833.JPG

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.fd7263f2ae8dbfc6c6f0bbba5bea2cf0.JPG

I'm managing between two and three strakes a day (provided I've made enough pre-spiled ones for the bow). Slow but steady work. 

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and a safe and prosperous 2022.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

21 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Still having some issues uploading photos, (same error message keeps popping up... frustrating)

I hit the same problem. I find if I submit and then ‘edit’ the entry I can retry to upload with success. Beautiful build!

33 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Andy,

Do you suppose the pictures are too large for the program?

Tom

You’d think that, but the photos that failed were slightly smaller in file size than the ones that did. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

34 minutes ago, TBlack said:

Andy,

Do you suppose the pictures are too large for the program?

Tom

I suspect it's part of this problem:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30784-error-code-200/    One builder did note that after posting, if he went back and hit "edit", it would take the failed photo and post it.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great to see you back at it Andy, your Confederacy is looking very nice, the blue will make for a nice change.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and “likes”!

BE and BW, I’m glad you guys also like the blue. I was a bit worried at first that it may prove to be a somewhat controversial colour choice, but I’m pleased with all the positive responses.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

A bit of an update to share on an otherwise grey Sunday morning (at least where I am). I have managed to finish the planking on the port side yesterday. 

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.3b770af7652dafe96e9e1d94dc14b5d3.JPG

I think I've managed fairly well with it. By no means is it perfect, but I'm happy with the overall result.

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.54ada0117fcabf963e7abc0546055191.JPG

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.32c59063ac2852b4ee6ec5c6c61a8cf4.JPG

I've given it a cursory sanding, there are a few spots that still require a little more work (nothing major), but I will get them after I've finished the starboard side. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Beautiful planking, Andy!

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks since my last update, so just a quick one to show that I'm still working away at it. Construction has slowed slightly since winter finally arrived a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fun outdoor activities, like skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, all the fun stuff that can only be done with a decent amount of the white stuff. And then for those who follow my non-maritime adventures, there's also the odd time when my main mode of transportation decides to no longer function as designed. 

Anyway, on the days not filled with other activities, work has progressed on the starboard side, and I've now managed to complete the first two planking belts.

IMG_1815.thumb.JPG.ba1da16eea0d7cdc1ce5a5a3ece4526a.JPG

IMG_1816.thumb.JPG.0b954b957fbef6a6f3e5d7e09aad0c98.JPG

It's nice to begin to see the (hull) planking finish line.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

27 minutes ago, CiscoH said:

Great planking job Andy. 

I was wondering where you got the small black miniature screw clamps in the first and third pictures of your first post.  I can't find them, or maybe my google description isn't right.

thanks, cisco

Thanks!

I got those clamps years ago from Lee Valley tools. I don’t know if they still sell them. Try searching for “miniature machinist clamps”, or “tool maker’s clamps” see if that works.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Perfect planking!

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and likes!

Yesterday was a bit of a milestone day. The hull planking is finally finished! Hooray!

IMG_1817.thumb.JPG.e6a96ca351bcbc3bcdd7b4dee7f9cc08.JPG

As you can see, I decided to fully plank over the reveal section. It partly came down to personal preference, and partly because over the course of the several years that I have been building (storing, transporting, shuffling aside) the model, some of the frames segments had accrued some small dings and dents (a small drawback of basswood).

IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.d6130012ce3e0ad956272eaec94dff60.JPG

I've just completed prepping and staining the stern post, so while that dries, time to grease up the old elbow and get making some dust!

fullsizeoutput_e03.thumb.jpeg.c003796a501e84ff10ca148c5ade73a3.jpeg

I really enjoy the sense of satisfaction one gets when a hull has been completed, and I am particularly enjoying the relief that comes knowing I don't have to go all over it again with a second layer (big "YAY"!). 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Beautiful planking job, Andy! Very nicely executed 🙂

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf: