Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

Wonderful work with the carving Gaetan, your work is amazing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Carabrente,

other pictures; page 11,12, 13

also pictures from:

http://modelisme.arsenal.free.fr/jacquesmailliere/

Gaetan, I have been following your work for a long time and am constantly amazed at you skills. You should know that there may be a problem with the site you provided above. When I went to the site, it infected my iPad with a virus or malware and locked up my internet browser. I was able to delete the virus without much problem, but thought you should know. Here is a picture of the locked screen, which apparently is fairly widespread as I found the solution on the Internet through another device.

post-1790-0-92420500-1418400414_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! <picks jaw up from floor>  Just wow!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gaetan,

Often a blue or very bright green background - i.e. a contrasting colour - is used for those pictures, and multiple lamps/light sources to avoid shades, The digital image is manipulated with software replacing the contrast colour by white.

Marvelous details, which you seem to produce always

Joyeux Noël a vous et votre famille

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 3 weeks later...

Just magnificent....  If only I had the room to go big...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dear Gaetan,

Beautiful, artistic, exquisitely crafted. You are a master.

I notice your vise for holding the carving. I have seen these vises, but never how they might be used. Very ingenious.

Best wishes,

Mark

There are many logs and builds that I admire here at MSW but I'm close to feeling that this may be the definitive build and  wish that I could reach out and actually touch it......just awestruck!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Just stunning, Gaetan.  Your carvings are magnificent. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The next parts will be under the balcony.

General height to work on a table is 30 inches. To work, especially on small parts, 30 inches is far from being ideal height, it is often too low; easy solution; adjustable height table, electric or by hand or even at lower price in the used. If I would have known before this is the kind of tool I would have  bought a lot sooner.

post-184-0-54610100-1421959409_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-23978200-1421959415_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-47673100-1421959419_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-65069700-1421959424_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-13359700-1421959429_thumb.jpg

I agree with Druxey...  beautiful work, Gaetan.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gaetan not only is the carving exceptional, the photography is superb.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you for your comments,

Michael, when I began taking pictures of model ships, many years ago, nobody knew how to photograph among the group of model makers.

The consensus seemed at that time, and that was based purely on inexperience, that a flash should not be used.

The truth is just the opposite. Very often, additional lighting is required, you just have to make sure not to overexpose, and the idea is to soften light and shadows, with a white  semi transparent object (cloth, white plastic cover or even  some kind of transparent paper just in front  of the flash.

Avsjerome2003, to go happy modeling, just do like me, you do not need to be good, a lot of model maker are better than I am, but  just take some photography lessons, ounce you understand the idea, you will not become a pro instantly, but it will be easier to make it looks better than it really is...

Gaetan, I can only second what others have said.  The work on the stern carvings is extraordinary.  Well done.

Ed

Recently, I saw many variations in machine to turn ropes.  Also I saw many complaints about the in stability of the cotton. By using a good linen quality, none of these problems will occur. Here is the version of the turning machine I use which has a major advantage on the other models.

This machine uses a swivel at one end. This is a mechanical insurance that the torsion in the ropes will be adequate. Other methods I saw, the rotation ratio is adjusted by eyes and for this reason is approximate.

Picture 1; gears, motor and variable speed control, reverse switch to turn left or right

Picture 7; at the other end of the rope, there is a swivel used for fishing. This is a very important part because the swivel mechanically adjust how much rotation is needed to equilibrate the torsion in the ropes. This swivel is held on a trolley which compensate for the diminution of the lenght of the ropes when turning. 

Picture 15 and 15a; 2 wooden nails showing the color of the french ropes around 1750 reddish brown

Picture 33 : samething shown by Boudiot

Picture 55 :  high quality linen, expensive but very stable to temperature and humidity

post-184-0-43339400-1422128967_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-46507500-1422128969_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-09268900-1422128972_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-95002600-1422128973_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-74221500-1422128975_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-30391000-1422128977_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-89408000-1422128982_thumb.jpg