USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Look'n good Augie, primo job!!....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Augie,

Just got caught up and you are doing a great job. Just wonderful. I too am eagerly awaiting

your planking but I am also very sympathetic too! Don’t fret it though. It may be a large task

but your methodical approach and attention to detail will serve you well!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just getting a few minutes to get caught up Augie, I see planking in the near future....looking nice....lot's of work in the framing.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Not exactly record breaking progress this weekend.  But Chapter 4 has been completed.

There are a series of sheaves, 3 per side, that pass through the hull.  Confed has simulated sheaves that add some nice detail.

Additional framing was installed to serve as a backing for the sheaves both inside and outside the hull.  Then the laser cut 'shells' were fitted with small slivers of wood to simulate the sheave itself.  These assemblies were glued on to the framing and #68 holes drilled through the hull.  The inner sheave assemblies will not be placed until later after the inside bulwarks are faired.  The sheave shells or housings are 1/16" thick and will match the eventual hull planking.

The first photo shows the assembled sheave glued to the new framing.... the through hull holes are drilled:

post-56-0-26971200-1382979877_thumb.jpg

In the next photo, I've laid a plank on top so you can see the effect we'll achieve once the planking is in place:

post-56-0-07451300-1382980035_thumb.jpg

As I've often said, the smaller things get, the longer they take :D  :D .  Overall, I'm pleased with this detail.

The next task will be to plank above the wales.  But, in order to delay that as long as possible, I plan to play with some paint first to see where I'm going on the bulwarks colorwise.  Plus, since it's been almost 2 years since I've planked a hull, I need to psyche up and try to recall how I did it the last time (haven't a clue). 

In the meanwhile, I wish my English and European friends all the best of luck in weathering the current storm.  Batten the hatches and stay dry!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

And these small details add up in the end! Looking good Augie!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Augie - a lot of folks think I made little video snippets and detailed photos to document for others how I proceeded on my build (which is the case) but truth be told I also did it so I could later remember how I did a step or two (make a rope coil, make a hook, strop a block, etc, etc, and of course, etc.....). I've had to scratch my head a few times already. :)

Very nice Augie. I certainly know the feeling of "Now how did I do that last time? No, not that last time, the last time that actually worked!"

Nice, Augie.  Now write yourself a note and pin it to your work board - "Don't forget to add the inner sheave assemblies when inner bulwarks faired!" :)

John

Thanks everyone.  I also need to credit Mobbsie who actually came up with his own version of the (almost) functional sheave on his Aggy. 

JOHN-  I'm sorry but I can't resist.  I'm up to page 33 in Chuck's practicum at this point.  But if you flip to about page 94, you'll find a handwritten notation:

'Inner sheaves are in magnetic ashtray ---- put them in NOW!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

94 pages  wow how big is this practicum ??

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

as others have mentioned.......any progress is good progress  :)   looking forward for the first planks  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ahoy Augie :D

Two years, Wow. I find your progress on this kit and this new level of craftsmanship of yours very inspiring.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Nice (faux?) sheaves Augie. Those are nice little details!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Augie,  You’re moving along nicely. The planking of most of the hull is straight forward.

Just remember to pre bend the planks at the bow and stern like Chuck describes and you

won’t have any problems. Might take a looooong time but no problems. ;)

Adrieke, The practicum it around 170 pages.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

What a pleasure to follow! This will be my first build. Just waiting on the mail! Will be watching closely ;)!

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Just caught up with your progress Augie, what a great job you are doing with her, and what a fine kit Confederacy is. I love the separate framing of the transom, and gun ports, I am very much drawn to Chuck's kit.

B.E.

It is an excellent kit. I can't wait to start my own. I think it's a worth while follow up to anyone who's built a Fly/Pegasus or Syren kit... or any other kit, for that matter...

After seeing what you've done to your Pegasus.. I'd be amazed to see what you could to with a Confederacy..

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Blue Ensign -  I appreciate you stopping by and your kind comments.  Your efforts on Pegasus make me shake my head in awe of your talent.  I would love to see what you could do with this kit.  As you can see, Andy agrees!  I can envision 2 more Confederacy logs, fully rigged versions, gracing the pages of MSW a year down the road :)

Bill -  You've picked a challenging, but spectacular kit for your first build.  Chuck's plans and instructions are first rate all around.  My first was his Syren.  Those plans and instructions, as well as input from many here on MSW, got a complete hacker through it and resulted in a creditable job.  You will not be disappointed.  I look forward to your log.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie the framing looks awesome, but then again what else would I have expected - it isn't me building it :D .

I actually totally get your love of blueprints etc,  I always love looking at the structure, the nuts and bolts etc and while planking looks great from a full ship point of view,  it always seems a shame to cover up all that work! That happened with me and the willie, put all that into the frame and loved it - decked it now :angry: .

But, tis the price we pay for building such wonderful ships.   They wouldn't exactly float very well if I left them where i wanted to :o

Anyway, wonderful job and am sure it will look fantastic with the planks - but that is gonna be a lot of planks!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

A little diversion prior to activating the sawmill for planking.

I developed a red color for the bulwarks using acrylic paints and some voodoo incantations.  I like the color and it's dead flat.  Here, 7 coats have been applied:

post-56-0-45299200-1383312750_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-21475000-1383312777.jpg

A sufficient quantity has been prepared to serve the whole build.

I always hate these photos as it appears that mankind has not yet invented masking tape :D  :D

Planking will begin shortly starting with the counter at the stern.

I wish everyone a great weekend.  And for those in the USA, don't forget to turn your clocks back Saturday night so we can be back in synch with the rest of the world !!

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice Augie,

When you start planking the counter I would prebend the planks edgewise to get the correct curveture, something I failed

at when I did mine! :angry: look at the plans! :P

ben

Wes, I rather suspect more a touch of  'Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog..' for that Special Red, than Winsor & 'Newt'on :)

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

The rumours that I created this color in celebration of Halloween are grossly exaggerated.  Actually, it's quite a bit redder than it appears in the photo.  It is a combination of Model Shipways bulwark red and black under a coat of Model Master flat clear lacquer.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976