First timer introduction and needing some advice

Posted (edited)

Hello all. A short introduction of myself im a 25 year old Swede having recently picked up an interest in model ships im now close to going all the way and getting myself a first ship.
Initially I wanted to for the HMS Terror by occre considering they have so many tutorials up and there is alot of build logs on it. But having thought it through I decided to go for a real beginners kit instead so I can get some proper experience so once I hopefully get the Terror I will be able to build it without any issues. But having browsed this forum now for some time I would like some advice on a good first time wooden boat kit. Personally I have got my eyes on two ships.  

1 The Polaris by Occre 

2 HM Sherbourne by Vanguard Models

Occre has tonnes of videos on their shipbuilds and the polaris has alot of build logs on it however The Sherbourne seems to have a very detailed and extremely good instruction manual for beginners. Though the Sherbourne being a much newer model there is fewer build logs on it at this moment but I suppose that will change. 

So what do you people think any suggestions ?   

Thanks in advance // Stuka

Edited by Stuka

Stuka,

:sign:

Good luck on your journey!!!  My vote would be The Sherbourne from Vanguard,  best instructions I have seen. Plus all the help you need is here on  the NRG/MSW.

Bob M.        :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:             The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA                                                                      Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80 -- Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models 😊

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus-Amati

Welcome aboard!

We tell this to all the beginners, but whatever you choose, make sure it is a subject that has a lot of appeal to you, personally. When you arrive at tricky or tiresome construction bits, and you will, you will be much more motivated to do them if you really like the subject.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Speeljacht

Ahoy, and welcome to the forum !   Square rigged ships take a little study to understand how the rigging works (form follows function).  One might consider the Artesania Latina 'Bluenose 2' kit of a fore-and-aft rigged schooner (1:75 scale).  NOTE:  instructions must be downloaded and printed out yourself, and they are not the best.  However, there is at least one complete build on the forum to completion where every aspect is covered in detail.  There are also builds of Bluenose 1, which is similar to the second ship. 

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Having done both an Occre kit and in the middle of a Vanguard kit, my recommendation would be to go with Vanguard.  I found the Occre youtube videos not as helpful as I would have thought with the builder in the videos often doing steps differently than the instructions and other steps barely being shown enough to even help, and you almost need to rely on their videos some because their paper instructions are pretty poor in my experience.  Vanguards instructions have been incredibly good, with very detailed pictures and the written instructions were very clear and detailed.   Vanguards kit designs are also much more beginner friendly with many laser cut pieces that fit easily together, have tons of detail, and were designed for that specific vessel. Occre will have much fewer pre-cut parts, will offer less detail, and many of the parts will probably be designed to be used for several of their kits and won't quite be to scale or have quite the same amount of detail.  Also of note, my Occre kit was lacking in material in quite a few areas, I had to purchase more materials on several stages of the build.

As @ccoyle said, I would highly recommend getting the vessel that has more interest to you first, but I would look at some build logs for each kit and look at the details of the end results to see what you would prefer to have as an end result. 

Current Build

HMS Sphinx, Vanguard Models 1:64 Scale

Finished Builds:

HMS Beagle

Thanks for the advice you all. The Vanguard Sherbourne seems more appealing to me due to it having very detailed and good instructions also i like the ship. Now I just gotta list all the tools I gotta get too like ship stand, pinpushers, plankbenders and much more. cost what it will cost atleast the tools is a one time purchase.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

23 minutes ago, Stuka said:

ship stand, pinpushers, plankbenders and much more.

Go easy on tools at first. I've never used a keel clamping tool for a build, nor a pin pusher. In fact, I rarely use the brass nails in kits at all except for purposes other than serving as nails. Most modelers end up with drawers full of tools they never actually use. It's not a bad idea to start off with some basic cutting, shaping, and clamping tools and then buy what you need only if and when you discover a need for it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Speeljacht

Welcome to MSW. Sherbourne is my vote. I believe you can download the instructions with the list of supplies you will need to get started.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stuka said:

Thanks for the advice you all. The Vanguard Sherbourne seems more appealing to me due to it having very detailed and good instructions also i like the ship. Now I just gotta list all the tools I gotta get too like ship stand, pinpushers, plankbenders and much more. cost what it will cost atleast the tools is a one time purchase.

Sherbourne is a great kit. One masted ships are great for beginners. My first ship was Alert (also by Vanguard) and I love it.

All you need in terms of tools really to get started is a craft knife and wood glue. I made my own pin pusher out of an old paintbrush. Hit up your local goodwill store to see if you can find a small iron, that will be best kind for plank bending. Apart from that your really don’t need much. better to wait till you really need a tool before spending money on it.

Welcome to the forums :)

Edited by Thukydides

I alo thoroughly recommend the Sherbourne. There are several detailed builds on this forum, going back to 2012, some of which go into the modifications that might be made based on the original National Maritime Museum. It was my first model and one which, after a lot of interactions with other members of the forum (especially @Gregor and @Stockholm tar), I made a lot of alterations and ended up making many of the parts for myself. After that I quickly went to building directly from plans - something which opened up a whole new area of satisfaction.

This forum is a wonderful place to provide help every step of the way, and a great many modelers of cutters with detailed advice. Cutters are a very good introduction to form, function and rigging. Just ask whenever you are stuck.

Tony

40 years ago I started with a solid hull model and failed to get past step one.  I've built a lot of plastic models but never went back to try a wood model, shaping a hull and the rigging intimidated me.  A couple of years ago I decided to try my hand at wood models and saw an advertisement for Model Expo & Shipways models.  I started with the Model Shipways 3 ship beginners set and they took me step by step and I learned a lot of skills and knowledge for a fair price.  So much I tried my hand at a solid hull again and it's been successful so far.

I highly recommend the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Series. By the time you finish the 3rd boat, the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, you will have the skills to take on anything.  They might be small and appear to be simple, but that's what you want in the beginning and to learn the basic skills, then try the other models.

Whatever you decide to start with, take your time and always feel free to take a break from the build.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Welcome to MSW.   I see you've received a lot of  great advice.  The best advice on tools is start simple. Buy only what you need when you need it.  There's a lot of "junk" out there that is really a waste of money. 

And on the first builds...start "small".  Like no masts and build from there.   The Model Shipways 3 ship begiiner package is a great way to go.   Think "baby steps" on this.  My first kit purchase was Billings Vasa.  Oops. Luckily, I put it away and did some small projects first.  Taking time to learn the basics will go a long way to having a rewarding hobby as you progress on the journey.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

31 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

And on the first builds...start "small"

This is great advice! Just because a certain kit has a lot of appeal, comes with great instructions and is made from the highest quality of parts doesn't mean that it should be ones 'first' build! Lots of folks get started in this hobby without first understanding and/or considering the true commitment required, the discipline and the amount of time involved... as well as the processes and skills required to successfully construct even a simple 'fine' model ship. Lots of folks start out thinking 'fancy', with good intent, only to later run into problems and wind up putting their unfinished model(s) on the shelf. This happens to newbies as well as experienced folks. I'm a prime example of that! "Stuff happens to folks at 'ALL' levels of experience!" As mtaylor recommended, perhaps you should start out with Model Shipways 3 ship beginner package. This will let you know if you want to shell out the bigger bucks for fancier, more complex ship models. The added bonus is that you will also be building your confidence while constructing these three beginner models. Even if they don't turn out to be museum quality, they will still look great and be things to be proud of! If you do not lose interest while building these beginner models, while also advancing your skills in ship modeling... "Then it will be time to consider going to the next level with more expensive and more detailed kits... or even scratch building from plans." Start easy. Make sure that you truly want to do this. It's a great hobby! Don't start off on the wrong foot and wind up regretting it!              

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Welcome. For my two cents I would check the billings boat kit, Henrietta-marie.

I think it's a very good first kit. It's a pretty boat, has a little but not too much rigging, a hull to single plank,and . .not expensive. That said it has lousy instructions but it's a simple build so I think a beginner can figure it out, especially if you start a build log here .

I built it as a break after a larger project and kept rough track of the hours. Took about 40 hours including silk span sails.

That to my mind makes it a great first boat. 

Bill

Posted (edited)

Stuka, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard.

Edited by Keith Black

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Posted (edited)

Welcome to MSW and the world of ship modeling.  There are a lot of experienced modelers, much better than myself, here on MSW. 

1.  Which kit should I buy?  The best advice, as stated by others on this thread, is to start small and work up.  I highly recommend that you start with the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series.  It's listed on their catalog as MS1473 and MS1474.  The difference between the two is that one of them comes with a basic set of tools, acrylic paint and glue.  In fact, I recently bought this combo kit just to make sure I was giving sound advice to newbie modelers.  The materials provided are of high quality.  The instructions are clear. except for a couple of minor tweaks, which can easily be figured out.

2.  Which tools should I buy?  Although it may be tempting, you don't need to go "all out" buying tools.  You don't need all of those fancy power tools and jigs, yet.  Concentrate on hand tool and buy the best quality you can find.  They will serve you well years down the road.

Others on MSW may have additional tool advice but here is what I would start with:

X-acto or similar knife with No. 11 blades

12 inch aluminum or steel straight edge

Sandpaper of various grits 150-320

Razor Saw (X-acto or Zona)

Needle files, round, square and half round

Push pins for holding parts

Small 6" square

Clamps, clamps and more clamps 

Pin vice with set of drill bits

tweezers - stainless steel of various shapes preferred 

mechanical pencil for marking measurements

Set of calipers (vernier or dial indicating) for transferring measurements

Good lighting

Self-healing modeling mat

I'm sure I missed a few.  Hopefully, some other MSW members could provide additions to this list.  Good luck with your ship modeling journey.

WELCOME ABOARD!

Edited by Wawona59
fix typos

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Welcome to MSW!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the replys and other feedback.  Il probably then take a step back on the tools and buy only what I need when I need it. Also thanks for the suggestion on the  Shipways 3 model kit.  Il take some time to think on the matter but as long as there are good guides on it in case I get stuck. Then its a good contender for my first kit.  

Edited by Stuka

:sign:

I started with the Vasa from billings, and after a long time I managed to finish the model.
Don't do this. start small, good plan

Just an aside here on tools to start with..... band-aids.   I still end up cutting myself .

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tjenare Stuka och välkommen till Model Ship World.

Hi Stuka and welcome to Model Ship World.

I would suggest Sherbourne from Vanguard for two reason, good customer service but also you can download the manual prior buying the kit.
This way you will have some pre-knowledge of what you are getting into.
The kits of Mr. Watton are at very high quality. 

Polaris is at a good starting level as well. And does have instructional videos on their website.

If I were in your shoes I would go for Sherbourne.

However that is my opinion.

Good luck with your choice because they are both good.

Hälsningar

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

19 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Tjenare Stuka och välkommen till Model Ship World.

Hi Stuka and welcome to Model Ship World.

I would suggest Sherbourne from Vanguard for two reason, good customer service but also you can download the manual prior buying the kit.
This way you will have some pre-knowledge of what you are getting into.
The kits of Mr. Watton are at very high quality. 

Polaris is at a good starting level as well. And does have instructional videos on their website.

If I were in your shoes I would go for Sherbourne.

However that is my opinion.

Good luck with your choice because they are both good.

Hälsningar

Tjenare och Tack! 
Hello and thank you 

The Sherbourne looks like the most attractive option at this moments, il give the online instructions a better look before deciding though. As I stated before il give this a proper thought before ordering anything. At this point im trying to figure out exactly what tools I should have at start.

Update 

I have now ordered the Vanguard "Sherbourne" along with some starter tools. Now im going spend some time getting the rest of the starter tools and probably will post a buildlog sometime in the near future once I got my workspace ready.  I hopefully will learn alot and keep my patience while overcoming any future struggles. 

3 hours ago, Stuka said:

Update 

I have now ordered the Vanguard "Sherbourne" along with some starter tools. Now im going spend some time getting the rest of the starter tools and probably will post a buildlog sometime in the near future once I got my workspace ready.  I hopefully will learn alot and keep my patience while overcoming any future struggles. 

Good choice!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry