Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

• 2 weeks later...

looking good John....nibbing at the bow and stern is a really nice touch  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, that is truly well done, mate.  Can't wait to see her scraped and ready to finish.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice build John.  Looks fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I always enjoy your entries.  She's look good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks great John, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Lovely stuff John, the deck is going to look fantastic when it's cleaned up, love it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello John

attached are some images of TI luggers, from Jack Earl's log of the Kathleen Gillett circumnavigation, done I think in 1947. At the very least they will be of interest, but the details of the deck setup & rigging would be helpful if you go to that extent. Interesting, I'm not sure if you had any hull views below the waterline, but your interpretation of the lines looks accurate to his drawings, likewise the stern shapes. Also, the bananas lashed to the shrouds for accessible snacks.

post-10631-0-40359500-1433303397_thumb.jpg

post-10631-0-31820500-1433303415_thumb.jpg

MP

Thanks for those, Mark.  Very interesting sketches, especially the second one showing a lugger at sea.  These are, of course, considerably later than the Pritt, but the form of the TI luggers changed very little over the years.  If you go back to page 1 of my log, you'll see that I have several photos of the Pritt, including one of her on a slip having her copper replaced. I also have a lines plan of the Grafton, built in the following year by the same builder, so that was also helpful.

John

• 2 weeks later...

A milestone reached!  All the deck planking is now on.  The deck is far from finished, but at least the planking is all in place.  Next step will be to finish off the treenailing and then clean up the whole mess.  After that I can fit the capping rail and then give the hull a few coats of Wipe-on Poly to pretecvt everything.

John

post-5-0-52418000-1434060115_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-71727000-1434060119_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-71368900-1434060122_thumb.jpg

John

as an avid "Afloat" reader I learned that you use Privet in your models - where do you source the timber?

Another question: what glue do you prefer to use?

thanks, Mark

Nice looking deck, John. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That center photo wins the golden ticket.  Look at the lines on her !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice work John, I echo all the other comments . Beautifully done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you one and all for your kind comments.  I've always loved the lines of the TI luggers (the Broome luggers are shallower and therefore not quite so handsome IMHO) and having friends living at Ngukurr in the NT gave me an excuse to research and build the 'Pritt'.

To answer specific queries:

Mark - I've been sprung by an 'Afloat' reader! :)   That same article also appeared in the pervious issue of 'Signals', the museum's magazine.  Privet isn't available commercially, but (as you would know) there's way too much of it around Sydney, both in gardens and in the bush.  It's pretty much yours for the cutting - people are glad to see the back of it.  As for glue, I use good old 5 minute Araldite.  Two part Epoxy is an approved adhesive for museum work and is very strong and pretty quick to dry.

Peter - Yes, the 'Pritt' is being built at the museum and lives in the display cabinet by the model makers' desk when I'm not there.

John

deck looks great John.......she's looking really good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

John, she is building into a very well executed and great looking model.  I love the privet for the decks as they have that worn/used look!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness John,!! For reasons unknown to me I've appeared to missed the vast majority of the last few months progress...

The hull planking really does look superb, the deck being nothing short of inspirational - your posted pictures speak volumes of your obviously advanced abilities.

Me? Well, once these little green eyed monsters (ie: jealousy!!) can be persuaded to do a disappearing act I think I'm fast approaching the time when my own build should start making small inroads into that thing called progress...

In the meantime, definitely looking forward to future updates!!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've been able to get to the museum, so no work has been done on the Pritt for a few weeks.  In spite of the museum being top heavy with kids yesterday because of the school holidays, I still managed to get quite a bit done.  The deck has now been completely treenailed and rough sanded down.  Next step will be to make the capping rail, then bring her home for a couple of coats of clear finish before starting on the detail work.

John

The fore end rough sanded

post-5-0-71252800-1436424962_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-67409200-1436424966_thumb.jpg

Looking a bit more civilised

post-5-0-34559000-1436424970_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-07569700-1436424974_thumb.jpg

Looking very much the speedy lady John, nicely done!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautiful built hull John,

Framework, planking and deck look great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50