US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Augie:

In one of the last set of photos it looks like you've got your jacket hanging off the main topgallant! But that can't be....Looking great - can't wait to see it installed in all its splendour

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Well, that blows the idea of the whole bunch of us sitting by the mailbox and grinning when the mailman showed up... :(

I'll be sitting here on the edge of my seat (well, I will when I get home from work) waiting to see her in her glory.   And hopefully the beginnings of a new masterpiece.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

that's great to hear Augie........I knew you couldn't stay idle for long ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie,

Great news !

And thanks for waiting.

I'm BACK !!!!!!

Not with building yet but I can follow your log!

So please, make everyone happy and started with it.

I see that they have left my seat for me…thank you guy's !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors,

It's good to have you back! Hopefully you can start building soon. I'll probably be laid up for another 3-5 days.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

What a GREAT  start to the day.  Sjors is BACK, Larry is coming around and I also saw that Robbyn has overcome her internet problems.  I am a happy man.

Big day today ----- let's see what happens !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

It is a great day to start a new build I look forward to seeing it.  If you feel so inclined post a link in this thread to the new thread so us lazy people don't have to go digging for it.  

I think Augie make us happy with nothing…...

When I click on the link of the Confed…nothing is happened !

So Augie, come on and get started!

I'm ready for it.

Would you guys hold your horses on Confed.  Syren is in the middle of a momentous journey !!!!!!!.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

C'mon Augie, you know we mustn't keep him waiting, no doubt if you ask him nicely he will send his menagerie round to help you out, that would be fun wouldn't it. :D  :D

And what Andy said. :D  :D :D  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I knew it. :D  :P  :D  :P  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

SSSHHHH!!!  Please do not distract Commodore Augie - this installation and move takes delicate coordination and precise timing.  Last thing we want is a picture of broken glass on the stairs to the new berth!!!!!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

SUCCESS !

The case has been completed.  Amazingly, everything fit :D  :D :D .  Frankly, I can't believe it.

In addition, Syren exhibited her maneuverability (and sheer tenacity) in negotiating the perilous voyage from basement to home port.  The predictable 'I think it should be going the other way' battle was encountered and victory seized from the jaws of defeat.  Callie, the ships' cat, now has free run of the workshop once again with all rigging now under glass.

On the glass, I was looking for non-reflective but couldn't find it locally.  Still, she looks great.  And, although ME specifies 1/8" glass for the case, I went with 3/32 which is plenty strong, lighter and actually fits perfectly in the pre-cut slots (after some final sanding).  I'd estimate the total weight in the neighborhood of 20 pounds.

post-56-0-01257900-1377283361_thumb.jpg

As advertised, the fit in the cabinet space is tight.

About 20 pages ago, I penned a list of thank you's and overall impressions about the project.  It's been a happy time for me and, I hope, for those who followed along.  I could not, would not, have finished without your encouragement.  Thanks to each and every one of you out there on MSW.

So now, in a (very) few days, we shall begin on Confederacy.  Her shipping crate has yet to be opened.  I'm hoping I can do her justice.

And with that, we shall now secure this thread.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

I don't want to come this evening anymore on the forum but when I see this on my I phone, I have to !

That looks amazing great.

Congrats to a fine case and a wonderful build !

I enjoy every second that I was following this thread !

It was not always related to the build but It was amazing how you solved things !

I love every minute of it !

I will be follow you on the Confed and I know you make also a beauty of that.

Again Augie….THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also for the great pictures.

I can not thank you enough for that  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

She looks awesome Augie and thanks for a great ride! Looking fwd to your next build, which I'm sure will be even better.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Great to see her in her final home port Augie. Like the others, I have enjoyed the ride and learned a few things along the way, as well as having a LOT of laughs. I look forward to joining the gallery on your Confed build.

.....and I note that we exceeded the "100-page" target by more than 10%. I guess that makes us collectively a bunch of over-achievers! :P

Edited by gjdale

.....and I note that we exceeded the "100-page" target by more than 10%. I guess that makes us collectively a bunch of over-achievers! :P

Or a pack of motor-mouths....

Augie, great to see your Syren made it to her new home safely. Congrats on final completion :cheers:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Augie...... she looks perfect in her new home...... the ship looks great, the case looks great, and the spot you picked( or might I say the "Admiral" picked  :P  ) looks great too!!.... This was a great thread Augie, sidebars and all  :D  :D , but now it's Confed. time, we're all looking forward to another over the top log !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I like the case Augie, she looks fantastic. Glad to hear about the Confed., sorry I missed out on the 100 page deal, was on the road. The Niagra will be my next build as of now. However, gotta finish the Morgan first. No time to work on it so far being on the road. Please let us know the link to the Confed.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

she looks beautiful Augie.......a fitting end to a  fantastic build!  congradulations!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie,

Terrific piece of work.  Its great for me to be able to reference it as I work on my kit.  At my early stage, I can only imagine how it feels to finally case it and put it on display.

Thanks for getting it all on the forum.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Fantastic work on both ship and case, Augie, a hearty congratulations coupled with spirited drinks are in order :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Looking forward to your work on Confederacy, with the excellent work you've done to Syren, I have no doubt that you will make an equally excellent job of this excellent frigate :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo