Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

I just found out some information about the Lettie.  Back in July, John Cole, here on MSW, started to build America’s cup racer Puritan.  Since Puritan is on my “to build” list, I decided to do some research on her.  She was designed by Edward Burgess who also designed cup racers Mayflower and Volunteer.  About that same time (1888) Burgess was approached to build a schooner.  For two years his schooner won every race it was in.  It was then sold to the fishing fleet.  That boat was the Fredonia.  Because of its speed the Fredonia was copied several times. Those boats were referred to as Fredonia models.  The Lettie G. Howard was the last of the Fredonia models.

This is not a model of a brand new boat.  This boat has been around and working for a while, first as a private yacht, then as a cod fisher and finally as a mackerel fisher.  This model is of the mackerel boat.  You’ll notice that the rigging is not consistent.  That is to say the fore mast is not a copy of the main mast etc.  That is because as modifications and changes were made they used what was “at hand” as long as it worked.

Now some pictures of the build at present.  A lot of MSW members publish pictures with each add they make.  I don’t seem to be able to do that.  So here are a lot of little things.  Still a long way to go. 

Bob

post-513-0-38087300-1412010690_thumb.jpg

Over all

post-513-0-55806800-1412010702_thumb.jpg

Main halyard

post-513-0-50175000-1412010716_thumb.jpg

Fore halyard

post-513-0-41555600-1412010734_thumb.jpg

Jombo jib halyard

post-513-0-94969300-1412010772_thumb.jpg

Bowsprit shrouds

post-513-0-62195700-1412010789_thumb.jpg

Bowsprit

post-513-0-28033100-1412010805_thumb.jpg

Main gaff

post-513-0-28045900-1412010821_thumb.jpg

Fore gaff

post-513-0-29635900-1412010841_thumb.jpg

Spring lines

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A lot of great looking details Bob.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

GREAT JOB!  I especially love your brass work on the rigging.  very neatly done!

Walt BILES

Hi Bob,

She's coming along great! I especially like the "bright work". I think we Schnooner builders are a dedicated, somewhat motley, minority on MSW, but we build boats that are fast, beautiful, and (as Kate Hepburn would say) yar*.

Best,

Steve

For those youngsters out there, see the Philadelphia Story. It means easy to handle, quick to the helm and ready.

Edited by Perls

Bob,

That masting, ironwork, and rigging looks so the part.  I love that first overall picture.  She is a really sweet looking schooner (and model!).  I have a Fredonia hulled schooner on my to-make list (along with some plumb stemmer).

Very nice!

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

beautiful ship Bob,

the rigging with all those fine Details I lke very much it Looks very authentic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks to all my friends who responded and to all who hit the like button. 

I am enjoying this build and all the research.  There is very little (almost none) information of the rigging of the Lettie.  So I go to the books and search the web to see how other schooners were rigged.  They were all different.  I take the basics and I become the master and the boson of the Lettie and rig her the way that seems best.  Sometimes I will start to do something and find new information and say ‘that seems better’ so I’ll undo what I did and redo it the new way.

Thanks again for following me on this wild ride.  Even now I do not know how the rest of the rigging will end up.  I feel like Michael must have felt as he rigged the Maria.  Ah the joy of it. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob,

I'll be watching closely how you figure out unknown rigging details on your model.  I've got a couple of 'unknowns' myself with my build. I agree with your observation; these boats were rigged as conditions and materials permitted.

I really like how your Lettie is looking!

John

Thanks, John.  If there are any ‘unknowns’ I can help with just let me know.

Bob

great progress Bob.....the rigging is nicely done ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks and stay tuned, Popeye, there's more to come.

Bob

I love your metal work, Bob. Very inspiring!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks Steve, I enjoy it.

Bob

Thanks Rich.  Hope we can get together sometime.

Bob

Been a while since I last dropped in on this beautiful build. You have come a long way since then. Wonderful work throughout Bob. I really enjoyed catching up on your log. Extremely nice job on the rigging.

Cheers

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Dave.  And thanks for the invite, in your build log, for a show and tell, to NC in November.  But I don’t think I’ll make it this year.  That was for everybody wasn’t it?  Oops.  

Bob

Just a little off subject but a get together in NC in the spring sounds like a good time.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8275-spring-msw-member-show-and-tell-meeting-discussion/

Wish I could be there.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I need help.

For most of her life the Lettie G. Howard sailed in the Gulf of Mexico fishing for mackerel.  She would have had a seine boat with her to set the nets.  I would like to build a seine boat to mount with her, but so far I have not been able to find plans.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Bob

Hi Bob,

I was going through your build log and saw that you are looking for plans for a seine boat. BlueJackets plans for the Smuggler (by Erik Ronnberg) have plans for a 1/48 scale seine boat. They only cover one small section of of page. They offer the plans for the whole ship for sale but since you only need a small section, maybe you can work something out with them, they're great folks.

I'm thinking I may try to build it as my first scratch boat, althought I have no idea how difficult it would be. If you (or anybody out here) knows of a build log of a small scratch whale boat or other clinker built ships boat, I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Best,

Steve

Thanks for the information but things have changed.  The finished schooner will be placed where the admiral will see it all the time and she said. . . “I don’t want that other boat with the schooner ! ”  Since I’m making it black and gold for her, I will not be adding the seine boat, for her.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Sorry it’s been so long since my last pictures.  It’s been one of those times when everything that could go wrong did.  Let’s leave it at that.  I have however finished the Lettie to the admiral’s delight.  She is now dressed in all her sails and rigging.  So here she is in all her finery.

post-513-0-28024000-1416422923_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-29876600-1416422938_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-24494500-1416422952_thumb.jpg

Don't know what is next.  The admiral likes to see sails but I'm leaning towards a launch.  We'll see.

Bob

A launch with an awning - that looks like a sail ;)

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Congratulations to the Launch of your "Lettie" Bob,

thats a wonderful schooner build and a pride in sails. It realy is looking for a Special place in your home.

Very well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50