Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Beautiful work on the Capstan, Mark, I dread making this particular fitting as making several identical whelps seems to be a rather daunting task, but you've handled everything perfectly, I salute you my friend  :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks for that information, Mark. 

I think I'll get a small quantity of each to have on hand.  Is there something effective for epoxy?  I need to put these info points into my journal so I can begin remembering where to find out when I forget, which I do a LOT.  I love that capstan.  What are the notches around the bottom for? 

Walt Biles

have a look at Dafi's build of the Victory......in there {somewhere} he has a very detailed build session of the capstan.   at the bottom, there is a ratchet and pawl set up,  that will lock it into position and won't back off,  should a rest be needed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone.

Aldo,

Several ways of doing the whelps... use a solid block of wood and cut the whelps to shape then slice them apart.  What I did was put in the timbers and then spun the whole thing on the lathe and shape it.

Walt,

I think only heat might work for epoxy.  You might ask this in the Wood Tips and Tricks section.

Popeye pointed out a great resource for capstan operation.  Dafi's build is great for his exploring not only how things were made, but how they were used.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Glad to see you at the tools again. 'though it took some resizing a very lovely job on the capstan.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ben,

Short answer:  yes.   PM sent.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great build Mark. I like Hahn's plans and Licorne is one of them. Beautiful ship!

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

Hi Mark:

Just took some time to read through your log - very impressive! I'll be following with interest

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you, Elmir and Hamilton for looking in.

Sjors, Sorry about the long reply. :)

After much thought about "what next" and much fear and trembling... PLANKING!!!!!!!!!!  post-76-0-14882900-1371431945.gif  So there's fear because I've never single-planked before.  Trembling because I'm looking forward to it...  and maybe too much coffee.   So I gathered the three planking guides from the Articles area and Planking the Built Up Ship Model from ME and studied.  Scratched my head.. said "oh.. nothing to fear".... and got on with it.

First step was I realized I didn't have a suitable clamps.  So I made 5 of these out of some scrap cherry and maple.  No particular reason other than I had a bit <cough> of scrap.

post-76-0-15953400-1371431899_thumb.jpg

First plank on each side is laid.  I'd doing the planks from just above the wale to the chain wale.   I may go farther up before heading below.  One reason is because the planks between the wales need to be sanded and I don't want to damage the wales.  Also, need some playtime experience with minimal tapering and spiling.  I hope....     I'm using swiss pear for the main planking.

FYI... the hawse holes I already drilled aren't on the same plane.  My bad.  I'll redrill after planking.

post-76-0-66978000-1371431900_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-23401700-1371431902_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

good luck Mark....big job ahead.......but it's going to be fun :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Mark.......single planking takes 1/2 the time  :D  :D .  With your skills and attitude I can't believe you'll have any real problems.

Looking forward to seeing what the Swiss Pear looks like.  I'm thinking of working some into a future build.

Don't rush it......no matter who starts clamoring for photos!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Indeed it will be a big job, Popeye.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Augie. 

I'm taking it one 32-foot plank at a time.  At 9-inches wide... it's going to take a bit.  I'm thinking I'm going to follow Hahn's lead and completely plank the exterior along with all the carvings.   Did I actually say that?  All the carvings... <gringe>  Anyway, so far, so good.   When I get bored with planking, I can jump all over those stoves/fireplaces. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm convinced that's the way to go.  Chuck had advised, I believe, about 28 feet / plank and that worked out on Syren .

As for the carvings, if you and Sjors don't mind, I'll move to the back of the bus.  WAY back.

Best of luck!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

You don't have to go too far to the back of the bus.  I'm not, normally, one who throws things.   A few years ago, I relief-carved a rose for my wife from swiss pear.  Didn't come out too bad, so I figure anything will be an improvement. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good luck with the planking - head down, eyes open, bottle to hand (but not too close!)

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Mark,

I'll be waiting patiently for any answer…….

Augie back in the bus?

What's he doing there?????

He didn't know that the engine is there?

Or is that the reason….

The planking…..I know for sure that you can handle that and I'll be watching closely to see how it goes.

Good luck with it!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

You don't have to go too far to the back of the bus.  I'm not, normally, one who throws things.   A few years ago, I relief-carved a rose for my wife from swiss pear.  Didn't come out too bad, so I figure anything will be an improvement. 

I'm not worried about you throwing anything.  I just don't want to be embarrassed by how well it comes out knowing my carving skills are non-existent!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Mark,

I'm sure your planking will be fine, if the rest of the build is anything to by. And if its not, just think of all the extra clamps you'll be able to make! :P:D

Thank guys.  Ah.. the pressure.... the carvings...  YIKES!!!!! 

One plank at a time... one strake at a time..  Yup... grunt work followed by liquid refreshment...  I like it!!!! :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, I think that you're going to find that planking is really kind of fun and not all that difficult. But then you get to the joys of tree nailing.

Bob

Bob,

I'm enjoying this type of planking so far.  Like I said, this is my first single-plank hull.  But so far, so good.  Plan is still... go up to the caprail line with planks, chain wale, and any decorative plank.. I think there's one....  then head south and do the garboard strake, the wales and then fill in the blank area.  :)   Yup... simple.

Uh.. treenails?  I'm not going to as from my view 1:64 is too tiny to see.  Those 9" inch hull planks I'm using are only 1/8" in real life.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark:

So far the planking looks good. I found that planking is all about measuring, double checking, thinking about it a bit, measuring again, double checking once more, and then some more thinking. :)

Seriously, it just takes some time and care.

Russ

What a brilliant idea - special tools. As you said in introduction: really model for begginers ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic