Echo by Maury S - FINISHED - Cross-Section

Well done, Maury! My only comment would be that the berthing up on the quarter deck and the rail above it look rather wide: I think it is due to the fact that the moulded way of the top timbers are too wide. However, you've a major achievement by completing this fully framed cross-section. Take a bow!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

She looks wonderful, Maury.  So what is the next project?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

beautiful cross section Maury,

very neat and accurate work,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Toni,

I still have Chuck's Cheerful to finish...probably a year or so.  I've started collecting some info. on a work boat. 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12450-work-boat-research-for-pof-project/

Current thinking is either an Anchor Hoy (fascinating stuff on one of those) or a Stone (or Granite) Sloop.  Pretty lines, centerboard sloops,

something different than warships.  We'll see if I can get actual plans.

Maury

I started on the gun carriages.  The brackets (sides) were taken from TFFM (Vol. I??).  David has them shown in 1:24 as well as 1:48.  Sure makes measuring easier using the 1:24 and dividing by 2.  I used the table saw to rough-cut the brackets...could have been done on the mill, but I'm not as good with that.  Shown on the crosscut sled.   I drilled out the axle holes on the Axle tree blanks using the mill.  Axles were done on the mini-lathe.  I'll cut / sand them to shape and get some more metal work done.

Maury

post-923-0-54423100-1452529658_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-95230700-1452529674_thumb.jpg

More work on the axletrees.  The axles are not supposed to be centered in the blocks.  Pretty small, but everything was done on the thickness sander, table saw and the little notches for the brackets with a knife (needs cleaning up).  Looks pretty good 'til you take a picture with the marco lens.

Maury

post-923-0-00998900-1452698203_thumb.jpg

Very little work done over the weekend.  The brackets were glued together so the drilling of the various holes would line up. (pic. attached) 

All the holes drilled, soaked in iso. and split the pieces apart.  Other parts (transoms, bolsters, quoins, etc made (no pics.)

I bought a glass (football)  display box (Hobby Lobby) and cracked the mirrored bottom trying to drill the mounting holes.  I pulled the mirror (pieces) and put in a VERY NICE piece of birdseye maple veneer.  Warning:  do not use water-based glue on veneer!  (The guy at Woodcraft has no clue on installation...telling me to use Tite Bond).  It created 1/4" high waves every inch or so even with a heavy weight on it.  Next attempt will be to put down some more veneer using either CA or rubber cement.

Maury

post-923-0-46585200-1453214848_thumb.jpg

Next attempt will be to put down some more veneer using either CA or rubber cement.

Best glue for veneer would be Contact Cement in my opinion Maury.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Titebond is good if used the right way! Coat both the veneer and the substrate with glue. Allow to dry. Then iron the veneer to the substrate. (Careful not to have the iron too hot. A layer of paper will act as a bit of insurance.) Works a treat, and no contact cement fumes or strings!

You could try ironing your wavy veneer down, Maury. Rubber cement is not permanent, BTW/

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Further to yesterday's post, here is a photo of a baseboard that was veneered and banded using Titebond. The other advantage is that you can spot-tack the pieces in place: they don't 'grab' like contact cement. A little heat will reverse the bond so that you can reposition a piece if you need to.

post-635-0-45920800-1453293834_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input.  I took off the veneer and will start over.  Misc. pieces for the carriages in the picture.  The quoin handles are belaying pins from an old 1:96 model.  The jig holds the brackets at the correct angle (2 degrees) for when the axle trees go on.  A simple wedge in the middle holds them tight against the sides of the the jig.  Flip it over for the transom, etc.  I think the iron work needs to be done before I start any assembly.

Maury

post-923-0-18841900-1453302557_thumb.jpg

Boy, am I glad I don't have 74 of these things to make!  Assorted eye bolts, half eyes (for where the rings get installed) and rings.    More iron work and the cannons to blacken.

Maury

post-923-0-07293700-1453658976_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-76135000-1453658987_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-79461100-1453658999_thumb.jpg

Carriages done.  The cannon were blackened twice with diluted Caseys Brass Black after a long bath in Acetone, rinsed and bathed in vinegar, rinsed again.  Pretty color, but not the black I was hoping for.  Having read Ed Tosti's frustrations with blackening I can understand, but any suggestions on getting them "Iron Black" would be appreciated.

Maury

post-923-0-09551600-1453988985_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-19794700-1453989224_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-40416500-1453989241_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-07676100-1453989256_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-60464600-1453989267_thumb.jpg

Cannon and carriages look very nice, Maury. I now use matte black automotive primer, several lightly sprayed coats, to blacken many of my brass items. It has the advantage of filling in small defects and blending mated parts into one. It also imparts a slight texture to the surface, which is reminiscent of iron.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg.  I'll try that.

Maury

Greg, I am to used that technique once I am getting to the cannon or other metal creating.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I'm re-painting the cannons per Greg's suggestion.  Here's how it looks in the case.  It's a "Football Display case" from Hobby Lobby.  A piece of birds eye maple veneer held in place with Contact Cement (no warping this time).  Just the right size.  The officer in the foreground is cut from Chuck's Cheerful plans and glued to a piece if 1/4" wood...shaped a bit.  No way am I going to try to carve one yet.  It's a good prop to show the scale.

Maury

post-923-0-42916600-1454195512_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-35888000-1454195529_thumb.jpg

Maury, blackening metal can be problematic at times.  A few years ago a club member gave a demo/talk on blackening metal at a club meeting that I think would help out a little.  Once the part as been cleaned and degreased it was pickled in a hot Sparex bath.  According to the member this gave the part some tooth and allowed the blackening agent to work.  And he used Caseys Brass Black.  Since the stuff is a mild acid I think a long soak in white vinegar might do the same thing and be a little safer.

David B

Beautifully displayed, Maury.   Congratulations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the comments and all the "likes".  I received a lot of help from people on the site.   I've learned a lot by doing this project.  Skills have improved and patience has grown. 

Maury

• The title was changed to Echo by Maury S - FINISHED - Cross-Section