Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

hope this one's the charm for you Mark  ;)    good your making use of the laser cutter.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nuthin wrong in a few profanities Mark, I do it all the time, par for the course for me. I generally get "I'm going in the garden" from the boss when I start and as long as the window isn't open there's no problem.

I'm sure you'll get it right this time, looking good so-far mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments, one and all.  

I guess I need to clarify... this is a plug.  I'm planning on adding the frames to the outside and then planking that.  Sorry if I gave the impression it's a bread and butter build.  I just felt this method "looks" better but that's me.  Now to see if I'm up to the challenge.

Jaager,

I have a couple of old leather belts cut into pieces.. I strop a lot.. x-acto knives and now carving tools. :)

Dan,

I have a good selection of micro-burrs and micro-sanding bits.  I've just barely scratched the surface on the next piece I'm carving... ;)  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is a neat way to do the boat Mark.  I especially like the base (top?) piece you have made with the securing points.  Rather than carving out the interior, I thought this was a 'plug' and you would build the boat hull around it?  In the next boat (or version if needed), you could draw and cut the slots where required on each slice and then connect by carving the rest of the slot for the frames? 

Sorry not trying to make extra work for you  :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

I was on the verge of cutting in grooves but in looking at it I realized that sanding might hide some and maybe all of the grooves. Part of the "problem" is that these frames are so small.  I'll have fiddle some with this one and give it some thought.  I do have 2 more ship's boats to make and they're a lot smaller than this one.   I'm just applying what I've learned so far and still have much to learn.

On those holes, I fit a piece of dowel through each one to lock the pieces into alignment when gluing.  I came up with that as I've found when clamping, sometimes the clamps shift things a bit. 

I've been using the other logs for inspiration... Danny's, Archijofo to list two.  And basically everyone else in scratch and kits as there's great ideas and methods.  The hard part is sorting out which ones work for me. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, 

Just catching up on the build.  Looking great.  I wish I'd have seen this latest on the long boat before I started working on the launch for the Santa Maria. I went with the bulkhead method, as you'll see in an upcoming post.  Rough stuff for sure...   This is cool method.  Maybe I'll take a shot at it and see what turns out better.

- Bug

Hi Mark.

Just catching up myself, after a hiatus. Was laughing pretty hard at some of the posts. Yeah, been there, done that. Nice thing about having some other languages is you can cuss a blue streak as loud as you want and the Admiral just says 'ok, I guess that means you want the tuna salad?'. Keep on keeping on.

John

Mark,

Just following you build... I am definitely not ready for something like this.  Your work is marvelous.  Keep on it, it is inspiring.

Thanks for the "likes" and comments everyone.

Life keeps getting in the way of this build right now...  I think we need a blizzard and I need no distractions.  Fat chance of that though.  :P  :P

Just a minor (for ship.. big one for me)...  14 strakes left on the main hull planking and I won't need any drop planks other than the one I've already done at the bow.  Just some careful fitting as I continue working towards the keel.  The last plank will need to be a bit wider than the rest of the planking but not as wide as the garboard plank.   I'm smiling.....

Work also continues on the plug for the ship's boat, albeit even more slowly than on the planking.   Carving is on hold until time frees up a bit.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

I've been busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger in a windstorm.  :)   Dealing with some health issues of the Admiral's, getting the yard winterized... oh Licorne... yeah.. Slow going.  Each plank is being spiled, bent, and fitted.  Three planks per strake and I've done I think 25 strakes on each side.  But the end is in sight for the main hull planking... 6 strakes on each side left.  I'll do an update then. Then another after I sand and gap fill.  The plan is for me to then turn attention to the stern, which should be fun.  On side, I'm working up drawings for the cannon machining, carriages and quarter galleries.   Fiddling with the ship's boat (first of 3) and also attempting, carving stern decoration (The Arms of France). 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

well  mark  dont you know  details are great but results are greater.  lol   joking  i know alot goes into scratch building  and unlike me  your actually doing it right    sorry to hear about the admiral    hope she gets better soon   cant wait to see your update

ah.. no pressure.. I like that... :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good Evening Mark It sounds as though you have your hands full all around.

Best wishes for the Admiral,

Getting winterized is something I'm glad we don't have to deal with here.

I have just put 2 first layer planks on my endeavour and can now start to fully understand the

effort required.

Hooroo Chris

Hi Chris.   Thanks for good words and the look-see.  Inspite of the setbacks and slow going right now, it's still fun and relaxing.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I hope your Admiral is well.

There will be time for model

All the best

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

G'day Mark

My prayers are with you and your Misses. Hope everything will come out ok.

God bless you all

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Inspite of the setbacks and slow going right now, it's still fun and relaxing.

So you're doing a good job from my point of view.

Best wishes for the Admiral.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Ah Mark, I see you have made the acquaintance of the mate of the one-armed bricklayer :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the comments and well-wishes.  Janet is just dealing some deterioration of various bits and pieces in her back and some congenital issues.  Not life-threatening but very painful.  After going through 3 back doctors who said "there's nothing we can do",  she's working with a pain clinic.  We're in the early stages of this so we'll see where it goes. 

Ah Mark, I see you have made the acquaintance of the mate of the one-armed bricklayer :)

cheers

Pat

Yes..  I'm also acquainted with the one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. :P  :P :P  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

That doesn't sound good, but I hope Janet is finally able to get the pain relief that she deserves from this new Pain Clinic.

Fingers crossed!

As for MSW and Licorne...we can all take a breather until Janet's better. Just remember to recharge your batteries once in a while, too.

All the best

Patrick

Mark,

Best wishes to Janet.  Hope the docs can make the pain a thing of the past.

Good luck,

Tom

If it's one of those "Pain Management" places Mark, make sure and have her be completely honest about how intense the pain is, because not doing that will mean they won't attack the pain problem aggressively enough.  It's probably a more prevalent problem with men than women since we tend to down-play our pain a little more. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mark,

I've missed you as well and pray for Janet's speedy recovery. I'm sure you know, but try to be careful if their "pain management" techniques involve a lot of opiates. They can be a lot of trouble in the long run, even the the short run for that matter. Please be careful.

Warmest regards,

John

Ps. George, my wife is a lot more stoic than I......when I'm in pain, I play it up to the hilt.

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”