Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

mark in real life would these gun-ports be lined and rebated now or later to accept the lids or left rough for the rest of her career

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you for the nice comments, Pete, Michael, Mij

mark in real life would these gun-ports be lined and rebated now or later to accept the lids or left rough for the rest of her career

Good question, Kevin. I'm not sure on either point.  As built, she had lids and the appropriate rebates.  At the time of her capture and after a major rework, I can find no sign of lids.  There are sills, but again, no indication of linings as kits have them.  The frame is the side linings. I'm not sure "rough" would describe the ports.. they'll be filed/sanded smooth as will the sills.  The internal and external planking will be to the opening and smooth.  Things are still pretty roughed in at this point with more work coming once all the frames are in place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

sorry mark rough is what I wrote but not what I meant,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ah....  ok.. No offense taken.  I think I answered rightly then.   No lids, no rebates, no frames.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Clarification as Kevin brought up a good point.

I've heard it said that we are two countries separated by a common language. :)

I think, lining is only done on POB models as there aren't enough frames.  If one looks at the fully framed and the real thing, the sills and the frames provide the port linings.  Usually, the ship was framed and the ports cut while in frame.  They would plank her and then cut or at least finish fit the planking around the ports.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark -

I go away for a few weeks and look at all your progress.  She's coming along very nicely.  That's a new technique for me on the gunports.  Thanks for the how-to photos.

And a belated Happy Birthday.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Dan.  I hope your being away was for fun.    As for the gunports... necessity is the mother.  I don't think this would work if only a small amount of framing needed removing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Still slogging away in the shipyard...  aft half-frames are still a work in progress.

However, I've been doing research and discovered via some very nice PM's with Mr. Delacroix that I have errors... and Hahn also....  other than the framing.

1) I've had to correct the history on the first page of this log.  This vessel was never known as "Unicorn" while in the RN service but as "HMS Licorne".  It was sold out in 1783.

2) From Hahn's article, he was advised to use the Le Venus information for rigging and certain other bits and pieces.  I've been advised to use La Belle-Poule for rigging and best practices as it is closer in time and more correct.  I've placed an order for the monograph from ANCRE and eagerly await it's arrival.

3) The breeching rings on the bulward should be through bolts with washers and forelocks on the outside of the hull.

4)  What I thought was an air port between gunports 11 and 12 is actually a window/light port.  It will be glazed.

5)  Referencing port lids:  In the French Navy frigates have no port-lids to their port. They are eventually closed by false port-lids in bad weather, simple square panel of light wood pierced for the passage of the gun. Nothing in common with the real port-lids. It was not until the early nineteenth century to observe French frigates with port-lids.

I am indebted to Mr. Delacroix for this information.

So.. back to cutting and gluing frames for now.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Isn't research fun?

DavidB

Actually, to me it is fun.   Almost as much fun as building.   I'm excited...new book coming, new plans to look at and study.  Hopefully no new "oh crap" things.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Be happy, Mark, you do not have "oh crap" things. With me there are a lot of "you idiot" things ;)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Trust me, Nenad, I have more than my share of the "oh crap" and "you idiot" things.   That's many of the reasons I started this ship over.  So far, the ones that I have found haven't hurt... yet. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Trust me, Nenad, I have more than my share of the "oh crap" and "you idiot" things.   That's many of the reasons I started this ship over.  So far, the ones that I have found haven't hurt... yet. :)

long may it stay that way

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

The build is comming along in good fashion, Harold would be proud of you!

I love  Mr. Delacroix's monographs as I have several of them including the La Venus, I also followed the Le Gross Vantra build on the french site but have not visited there in quite some tim so do not know if it is still up

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

I decided I needed a break from half-frames.  So for a few days I've been doing some prosthetic work on my Admiral's fake leg.  So far, I haven't screwed it up even though I'm hitting it with a heat gun,  dremel and cut off wheel, and tolulene.

As time permits, I cleaned up the salvaged keelson along with the salvaged fore and main mast steps.  The keelson is now glued into position after tweaking the fit and the mast steps are fitted but not glued.  There's markings inside for re-fitting them into position and also marked up the exterior for drilling and fitting the pedestals.    As soon as I can figure out a way to drill them square in all dimensions (not a square hole but exactly perpendicular) I'll do it.  This beast is too big for the drill press or the mill... <sigh> 

Also, minimal fairing at this point on the inside of the hull.

Anyway... picture.  And as always, errors, omissions, and stupid mistakes, while not always intentional are subject to be commented upon by those who read this.

post-76-0-56069900-1406693465_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looks like perfection to me :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

The errors are allowed, the French frigates are very different from English in many of points:quille, horseshoe of saffron, rigging of artillery, opening of door, etc. but you the Anglo-Saxons have no references to be able to see this! Fortunately, gerard is a scholar as of other one and we have the archives of vincenne which allow us to know details

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Thanks for the "likes" and comments, everyone.

Toluene, heat gun and Dremel on her prosthesis - she is much more trusting than my mother was!

That framing is looking very nice, Mark.

I forgot to mention the 4 mm hex-head wrench too.  :)   My lady figures the prosthetist can build it, and I can tweak the fit and functionality.  He tends to agree with her.  So...  I got hired.

The errors are allowed, the French frigates are very different from English in many of points:quille, horseshoe of saffron, rigging of artillery, opening of door, etc. but you the Anglo-Saxons have no references to be able to see this! Fortunately, gerard is a scholar as of other one and we have the archives of vincenne which allow us to know details

Thank you for the feedback.   I may not find and fix all the errors, but I will try. I'm waiting for the Belle-Poule monograph now for insight into the details of things.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark.... you're getting pretty good at this shipbuilding thing!!  :P :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

So, when is your book coming out then Mark ;)  ...   :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Book????  What book????  :o

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: