Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

I cut out the 'punch outs' for the insert that I spoke of earlier. the part is not laser cut, so I drilled some holes in the areas that needed to be cut out. Iused my scroll saw for this.

post-612-0-35406700-1404007575_thumb.jpg

I wasn't the steadiest when I cut them out.....I may go in a different direction with this. this is a really thin plywood......very stiff and tough to sand, as well as work with. all I have at my disposal is either 1/16 and 1/8 basswood flat stock. the grain of the wood, either way is going to play a big part in how sturdy one would be...I've already tried to make a second one.....I don't like it. anyway, this one didn't come out as well as I would have liked it to.

post-612-0-23290000-1404007996_thumb.jpg

so, I may try a different approach. I began to add the ribs to the interior of the plastic boats.

post-612-0-98254900-1404008049_thumb.jpg

I continued on........and soon they both were done. I still need to trim one or two of the ribs

post-612-0-30399900-1404008152_thumb.jpg

I took another Monday off.......I'll see what I can do further on them :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Reading Piet's comment regarding "fancy tools".....much in agreement, aside from the fact that personally, I am very much a "tool guy". You name it, there's likely at least two of them in my shop. Woodworker For over 40 years....hell, I just love tools that make sawdust....always have.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I am as well Dave.....but sadly, much of my tool buying has been geared toward the automotive field. when I quit the garage, I went into warehouse work. now I work on trailers......been doing this for about ten years now. I have quite a few specialty tools for automotive.....stored away in my garage at home.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

that is actually a drafting table...it a nice height, since I stand to do most of my modeling. I've tried to use pieces of pine board that I have lying around. but, in the heat of development, I cut without thinking of pulling one of them out :D it has a formica top......if it gets too bad, I'll just get a piece and re-laminate it. thanks for looking in ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this build. Good to see that you dicided to make as much of the parts yourself. In a month or 3 I will start the build of a classic sidetrawler. It will look like your ship.

Regards, Kees

Bashing ... what a wonderfull word

Overloaded by ideas ... my man !

And he know knowlidge

Good work, great joy to watch

And to stole some of ideas

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Kees! glad you like the log......I started out doing trawlers and fishing boats. hopefully, I can get back to the table and continue. hope you continue to follow along ;)

I think you are well under way Nenad! feel free to try any ideas I may come up with......but with the way your gathering steam, I might be looking for some from you! thank you for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Doris......coming from such an accomplished modeler ;) I can only hope to come close to your talent! thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

thank you Lawrence. :) I know some find these boats {plastic or metal} in their kits, and lament. I just hope I've shown them that this minus can be turned into a plus. I've always said that bash is the basic form of scratch building. learn this, and they'll be scratch'in before they know it! :)

I do apologize though....I have not been to active of late. this summer has really put a crimp on my style.

I hope to pick up where I left off soon :) thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What a fun build, original. When are you going to work on the rigging of your half moon build by the way? Or did i miss something, because i'm anxious to see how you would do that. Your log just is on pause?

Have fun building anyway will follow this project.

Halve maen 1608 (rigging and improvements to be finished)

Enterprise 1799 Building currently

thanks Lawrence.......I had a very nice B-day.....kinda stunk that I had to work, but the evening made it all worth while! :) I did finally get back to the table.......but there has been an {hopefully} interesting turn of events. I will post soon!

thank you as well Hlipplaa. I have some ideas I want to throw at this build.....should give it some cool detail. the Half Moon is in turn......I need to fix the bottom paint first, as there are some thing I'm not happy with. I hope that by getting back to the table, I can start the ball rolling again. I thank you for your interest....the momentum will pick up, I'm sure ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Oh boy......Popeye has me sitting on the edge of my chair again waiting to hear what he has dreamed up.  I'm never disappointed :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I will try not to Augie ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

well,  it's been a while since I did an update on this build.......a gross understatement   ;)     I ordered some parts for this build......but one item still is needed......brass wire.   I normally get it from HobbyTown,  but they moved to a town further out,  one that I don't frequent as often...drat them!   some of the stuff I ordered from Billing USA,  now a branch of Ages of Sails, was out of stock,  so I had to make some substitutions to the order.   not what I wanted.......but I guess it's better to have something than nothing at all  ;)   the outlook in obtaining wire changed for me last Saturday.  one of my jobs at work {Wally} was to weld a new bumper on a trailer,  that I had inspected.  we have a large MIG welder.......it's nice,  but sometimes can be stubborn.   anyway.......I was welding the new bumper on,  when the tip on the welder's gun got too hot and melted,  causing the wire feed to malfunction as well.   the tip was removed......opened the welder and cut the wire that had backed up in there.   I then pulled out all of the wire that was in the gun hose.....roughly four or five feet.  normally,  this would get thrown away....but I had a hunch it was the right diameter.......so,  I rolled it up in a loose coil,  bound it with electrical tape,  and put it on my tool box.  I smuggled it out to my car at lunch time and brought it home.   when I got home,  I tried it in one of the stanchions,  and was happy to find that it fit!     so now I have the wire,  I can move on with this build.  I have the plastic double blocks......I think they are 7 mm.  I had ordered some single blocks for this build,  but I think I goofed... I got the 5 mm.   I still have time to place another order....

post-612-0-17205900-1457043593_thumb.jpg

the companionway was cemented in place.   while I was at it........the larger dowel was cut down a bit,  and a smaller segment was added on.   as a matter of fact,  I just got back from our local Wal-Mart......they carry dowels in their arts and crafts section.  I needed the dowels to make the booms....I will have two on this vessel  bought a package of 3/16 {in my drill gauge,  they come out as 13/64}.

post-612-0-95086500-1457044099_thumb.jpg

I made the boom brackets to cement on the mast.......pre drilled for the hardware

post-612-0-04242000-1457044222_thumb.jpg

there are still some touch ups to be done here and there.    catch up time  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

NIce.....   back on the bench.  How you can keep these projects separated and your parts inventory up is beyond me.  And on top ot it, all the projects look great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yup, good to see the Syborn back up on the bench.  Looking good Dennis and good safe with the MIG wire.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Great to see some progress mate - will be great to see your build underway again,  Really frustrating when you can't get getthe rightbits of materials huh?  You may have to setup your own shop Dennis ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I echo Mark's thoughts.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Good find on the wire.  Just because it doesn't say it's hobby supplies doesn't mean it won't work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks to all of you fine folk....and those who hit the like button.   I had looked......and the last entry on this build was 2014...heck,  I probably have one longer than that.  I shouldn't be surprised.....my tangent with the Andrea Gail.......the small jaunt with the Black Diamond {cute},  and the continuance with the Jingle Belle...time just flies by.  I'll get an idea of what to do next and go for it........who knows what else   ;)

thanks Patrick,  Nenad,  Piet,  and Pat.   I had to kick myself.......looking for the right wire.  I bought some bailing wire,  thinking that it would work.......it's too big!  now what am I going to do with 5 pounds of wire.   so far,  I've been using it as a weight,  but I think there is more I can use it for.  quite a while ago,  I had bought some floral wire....can't remember what I got it for.   it ended up getting stuck in a box and forgotten.   after making the discovery with the MIG wire,  I recalled having it and dug it out.   I found that it would work just as well!    welcome to Brainphart, USA   :D   :D

post-612-0-19705300-1457107311_thumb.jpg

I get that a lot Mark....how do I do it.   well,  it's not as bad as you might think.......it's more an exercise for the memory banks.   once I open a kit,  the frame is built.......all the while,  thinking of all the thing I could do with a hull like that {day dreaming on a huge scale}.   if I'm going to save the parts panels for the hull parts,  I put them away in a separate box {a big box}.....{I probably have the hull panels for several ships}.   the rest of the panels are broken up and put in a boot box.  I go through a pair of two of boots a year,  so the boxes add up.  they are labeled and put in the closet.

post-612-0-86216600-1457107782_thumb.jpg

the only kit not shown here is the Thermopylae....it's still in it's box and on a higher shelf.   the strip wood is separated and put in plastic sleeves,  and labeled according to size.   most kits are made up with the same size woods,  so this also prevents my running out of a particular size.   what else I need,  I get from HobbyTown or Hobby Lobby....or I'll order it from Billing USA  {the site is still up and running}.   the flat stock is more the trouble spot,  so I get a few sheets here and there to keep the inventory fresh.  the rack is made up of shipment tubes and paper towel tubes cemented into a board,  different size hole made with a hole saw.

post-612-0-84794700-1457108260_thumb.jpg

the fittings and stuff are kept with the kit........there are occasions though where I will rob from them.  I replen the part as soon as possible.   what I do order and the extras I acquire are kept in a separate inventory box.  I use my admiral's spent pill bottles for this,  to keep them organized.   toilet paper tubes are cut in half and cemented in rows inside a boot box to keep the m in order.

post-612-0-08996000-1457109087_thumb.jpg

I uncluttered the tables........good to get a fresh perspective on things.  the cabinet on the left hand side under the smaller table is a new addition to the work station.   the admiral got a new desk,  so I took the two lower parts and put them together.   it has two cubby holes and two drawers.....it will help me from having to use the hallway for added storage.   it will keep stuff closer.

post-612-0-24783100-1457109578_thumb.jpg

well......that's my method........and my work station.   there are still a few things I'd like to add to it........like power tool,  but it's home and I like it  ;)

well.......back to planking?........painting?..........cutting?..........cementing?...........and the dreaded......sanding?   I never know what I'll get myself into.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Dave......there's still quite a bit to be done,  but this one is one of my  'more finished' builds.   I forgot that I need to order some planking for the upper deck.....that will be in the works,  as soon as I get a chance.   I have plenty to do while waiting for it  ;)    thanks for looking in,  and to all who hit the like button.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did manage to do a little more the other day.  I didn't have the right size dowel for the booms,  so a trip to Wal-Mart {surprisingly enough} was made to get some.   I saw one day that they did carry a selection of dowel......even packages of them in their arts and crafts department.   the boom brackets I had made were cemented in place on the mast.   the swivel brackets were cemented in slots,  cut into the end of the booms and bound with narrow brass strip.

post-612-0-48330500-1457559389_thumb.jpg

now that I'm finished planking the Tree Boat's hull,  perhaps I will have more time to do more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: