What do you think of this method of planking?

This guy is planking vertically, while the method I am used to is horizontally, meaning you lay each plank all the way from bow to stern.

What are your comments on this matter? What would problems arise with this "vertical" method?

post-975-0-67270400-1401104536_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I guess the question is does the builder have a plan about how the planks will lay across the whole hull.  It looks like they are getting some close line up of the plank ends which isn't optimal.  I would guess they are doing single planking (double planking it wouldn't matter at all) and are really focused on the joinery at the bow and stern.

It could turn out fine, my gut just says it would be harder making sure everything lines up from bow to stern.  I don't think I will be going in this direction.

Mark

I can understand how this might work out fine.  There really is not much of a relationship between what's happening at the bow vs. the stern.  As Wayne says, this could be how it was actually done.  Glad you brought it up as it gives us something to consider.

For me, I couldn't stand the suspense of waiting to see how it's going to work out.  I'll continue with the more traditional method of laying belts.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking at the pics I can't help but think that is the finished product.I suspect the other side is fully planked and this side is to be left open to show the frames.This does follow actual construction process on the real thing but can't help think it is frought with problems on a model even with a planking expansion drawing.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel may be right. That is a definitive possibility.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Looking at the workmanship of the rest of the boat, I'd say this builder knows exactly what he is doing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looking at the workmanship of the rest of the boat, I'd say this builder knows exactly what he is doing.

Bob

I would have to agree with Cap'n'Bob, as well as Nigel.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Ulises

Could you give the source of the photos ??  I (and maybe others) would like to see more of the build.

thanks

Tom

Its from a PDF file of a magazine from a Ship Modeling Club in Spain. Obviously in Spanish. Too large to post here. (19mb) If you want I can try to zip it and send by email.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

First thing that came to my mind is as Nigel and others have posted.  Further, some adjacent planks end at the same spot.  I don't believe there would ever be two adjacent strakes with butts on the same frame, so this reinforces the idea that this is the builders way of showing off his framing.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I would have to agree with Cap'n'Bob, as well as Nigel.

Best Regards,

Pete

I`m with Bob, Nigel and Pete

That model is very interesting in look it is expressing his /her Feelings about the planking Job in a very Special way...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sorry, folks, but I respectfully beg to differ. The planking runs at the bow don't look right to my eye. The garboard strake runs too far up the bow, causing crowding further up the bow (if it were the right way up!). See my sketch for what I think would be closer to the way it was done. Others have already commented on the plank butt scheme, which seems random to me. However, ultimately the result has to please the builder.

post-635-0-11133800-1401273906.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Accidentally found a photo of Oliver Cromwell model (unfinished), planked in same style:

post-5430-0-02292900-1401279583_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-76270100-1401279588_thumb.jpg

Looks interesting actually!

Accidentally found a photo of Oliver Cromwell model (unfinished), planked in same style:

attachicon.gif01110081.jpg

attachicon.gif01110089.jpg

Looks interesting actually!

Thanks for sharing the pics Mike,

a very fine and interesting looking model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The entire journal is a good read (even if you can't read Spanish).  There is a great article on a boat made by a five year old with assistance from adults.  the squid recipe looks tasty too.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I am in total agreement Druxey,had this been a planking job in the process,serious issues would be encountered filling the middle in.Also because the frames have not been faired properly if at all.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you could call that an Admiralty style plank method then.   I would think that for anyone to do this,  as far as fully planking a hull goes,  if your not cutting your own planks,  there could be quite a problem with gaps.   the oldest method that I know of,  is planking from the garboard up

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

In full-scale practice one would finish one strake (usually) from bow to stern, alternating port and starboard. Otherwise, it would very difficult to maintain symmetry. Where one started with the planking is a question of time in history and type of vessel. Typically, the garboard strakes were laid first. Then often wales very fitted and the rest filled up. The reason for this sequence is that it defines and fixes the shape (and the components) of the vessel at an early stage. Up to the 17th century, the entire ship may have been built up from the keel, reflecting northern practices that date back to the shell-first method of the Viking-Age.

My impression is that in this particular case the planking was left incomplete to show the internal structure of the hull. I would agree that in the process the planking at the bow didn't turn out quite right.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's another way to show off the framing but certainly the planking is not correct as per Druxeys picture to what would if been done real world.

But still another way to do the job!

Ben