HMS Jason by Beef Wellington - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Artois-class frigate modified from HMS Diana 1794

Carl - what you see is my cardboard mock-up/template   :D  And no, I don't like the white windows...they're just cutouts from a photocopy of the kit PE to see exactly how they would look.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looking very good indeed Jason.

I'm wondering why you bought the kit now this is heading into scratch build territory with such good results.

Looking very good indeed Jason.

I'm wondering why you bought the kit now this is heading into scratch build territory with such good results.

Hi Wayne - well, good question :).  I'm nowhere near being prepared to do a full scratch build, and it is more realistic for me to alter or adjust what is in the kit, knowing that I have the luxury of just using whats supplied if I want to to get a pretty decent result.  I think its easy to be critical of kits, unfairly I think, which don't get it quite how we would like or expect.  It reminds me of the phrase "standing on the shoulders of giants" :D  I just seem to having a lot of fun trying to figure this out, however slow the progress.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished the second planking!  Starting to finish off the gunport openings and then will need a good final sand, taking this very slowly as there is no room for filler if I mess up.  I took the planking a 1-2mm above the shaped bulkwarks to give me a little to play with in the future.  The two sides are not quite completely equal, but close enough.  Just goes to show that placement of the wale is key and despite my best efforts a little off...

post-891-0-70962300-1459717657_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-44529000-1459717653_thumb.jpg

Model is getting now noticeably weighty, and I do tend to cradle on my lap rather than on the table.  The inevitable happened and slipped resulting in a some damage after hitting the table.  Nothing for it but to saturate with glue and leave to dry, but reasonably confident it should be fine.

post-891-0-86573500-1459717649_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

Wait until the hull is plated if you think he is heavy now.

Keep up the great work,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Jason,

Don't feel bad about the ding, bung, crunch.  I think we've all done that one at least once.  You've got some lovely work going on there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It happens to most of us at some stage mate and fortunately the damage is not too bad.

With your skills the repair will not be noticeable.

I tend to do an awful lot of work with the boat on my lap and I have had it slip. We never learn do we.

You have a lot of good work going on Jason and I'm enjoying following along.

Keep it up mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I've done the same thing too (quite a few times).

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys (Yes Mort, I can only imagine it getting heavier, especially with all the cannons in place as well!).  Good news, the fix to the boo-boo turned out just fine.  Lesson learned, so will be putting some protection on these delicate areas going forward. Not much to show for time but feel I need to get up to date.  Lots of sanding sessions to get a nice shape, and the weather hasn't really been cooperating.

Batten at the waterline has been installed.  Tried thinning down some 1x1mm strip to approx. .5mm thickness but found that this was just too delicate a procedure, so thinned as much as possible and it was pretty easy to take more off once installed.  Used PVA to attach which worked just fine as it develops a sufficient tack needed for this thin stuff, even in the curved areas which just required a few minutes of finger pressure.  To help with this, I temporarily attached some scrap walnut strip to act as guides.

Once in place, put on a single coat of wipe on poly to protect the surface and then used some walnut stain to colour below the batten.  Although this will be coppered, think its better to have a darker surface in case there are gaps between the plates.

post-891-0-64432900-1462133636_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-46494000-1462133643_thumb.jpg

Also started to put in place the oar and vent ports.  Each needs to be individually shaped as I think it would follow the profile of the other planking.  Getting a uniform (or as best I can) fit takes a bit of fiddling.  Captain Sterling is keeping on top of things in his new nice new uniform....

post-891-0-47330500-1462133639_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-83160500-1462133650_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-91777000-1462133653_thumb.jpg

And where things stand...

post-891-0-92713000-1462133646_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Very nice work Jason, she is looking great!  the batten came up really well.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Jason,

Your work is very neat and clean.  Something to be proud of.  The "like" button will get a lot of use here.

Tom

lovely work Jason, nice to catch up on your build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Tom, hope I can live up to your expectations!

Kevin, nice to hear from you and the kind words.

Not much has been happening in the shipyard recently, but I'll be back....

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

• 1 month later...

Dockyard is still the victim of an ongoing labour dispute.  Little bit of detail added onto the main deck, tried to simulate the deck clamps and the sheave blocks.  The clamps were cut from a sheet of pear using a sharp blade and a ruler which seemed to work OK.  The standards have also been added.  Glad now I added in the sweep ports as it adds a nice touch of background detail with the deck on.  Think I need to get on with the coppering, but do have some questions...

1. Range cleats:  The kit provides a huge 'block' for these which seem way over scale and don't look like a cleat (see bottom picture).  The photo at the bottom shows these side by side with one of Chucks cleats (12mm).  The FFM indicates the range cleats are 2' 9" which translates to about 13mm in real money at scale, very similar to Chucks.  Would the size of these vary considerably between ships of different sizes. Thoughts?  I'm leaning toward Chucks.
  2. Copper plates: Amati are very clear in providing left and right sided copper plates.  I thought that British ships were coppered from the stern, forward and up which would suggest the visible edge nails would be on the aft and lower edges on the starboard side.  Is that correct?

post-891-0-51647000-1467637533_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-49150700-1467637537_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-63364800-1467637529_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-36574100-1467637541_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

It would be strange to have them plated from fore to aft. With heavy weather, or going against a strong current, bump into debris, etc the plates may be ripped off or work as a break...  fish scales run in the same direction ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

What Carl said about the plates, Jason.  As for plate up or plate down.... well, that's been part of a lot of discussion.  

On the cleats.... the size of these seems to vary by country and by shipyard it seems.   When it doubt, go with the TFFM.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking really nice Jason - very crisp details!  

If you're still having labor issues, I know a few guys in NY who are pros at breaking up labor strikes...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking really good Jason.  Yep agree with your interpretation of British naval practice for the aft to forward direction, but according to my info, the plates overlapped  by 1.5" on the upper and after edges.  This method/system resulted with the overlap of the plates on the trailing end/edge (much like fish scales as suggested above). The purpose for the upper edge overlap is so that when the ship ploughed down into a wave there would be less resistance on the leading edge of the plate (less pressure in the vertical dimension = less chance of separation).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for continued interest and support...

"It" has started.  I've been proceeding all along assuming that I would install a false keel visible beneath the copper plates as wonderfully shown on the Minerva model in the Annapolis museum.  I installed the various false keel planks using swiss pear as I felt the more orange hue would blend better with the copper plates.  I had intended to then copper to this false keel as per pictures below, which required the copper plates to be trimmed which I did with an exacto blade.  But this would have resulted in a rather odd plate layout at the bow using the supplied plates which I didn't like.

In the end, I decided to copper to the bottom of the false keel which was rather luckily pretty much exactly the width of a copper plate.  This is how David Anscherl describes it in the FFM series so its good enough for me to justify this approach! Definitely still trying to get into a groove with attaching these with thick CA glue but pretty sure it will get easier...

post-891-0-82698000-1468981926_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-47790700-1468981946_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-43674400-1468981898_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Sjors - maybe these photos will help you make up your mind  :)   The planking is not as beautiful as I think you think because of the different woods used, copper was always the plan.

Believe I reached a point to deliver a verdict on the Amati plates and share some progress now that copper has met boxwood.  I know that there seem to be many diverse opinions on coppering, and it does present its own uniquw challenges.  Its also amazing how many varied diagrams there are of copper plate layouts.  In the end, I probably ended up somewhere between what is shown in the AOTS Pandora book and TFFM book 2.

So, some thoughts on the Caldercraft:Amati copper plate matchup.  First off, I cannot believe how much more fun it is to work with the Amati plates vs my experience with the Caldercraft plates (which do still give a nice result).

1. Because the plates come in sheets, its possible to apply in some cases in multiple plates at a time.  This is a real bonus when its necessary to shape some which otherwise would leave a tiny sliver to be attached.  This results in less wastage..at least so far.
  2. The thin profile of the PE plated I think attaches much more easily (in my experience) using the Admiralty Pro thick CA glue.  This also allows any needed overlaps to be achieved easily without having to hammer out the distinct nail head profiles on the CC plates

On to the photos and little bit of the method I've found works well for me.  I started working on the stern as this will likely be the most challenging due to the hull shape.

I'm not sure what these are called, but determining the flow of the plates where they need to fan out is the first challenge. Because the plates don't bend and can't be spiled, the problem is a little more intractable.  I found that by using a small sheet 2 tiles wide to find the natural lines of how the plates lie well on the hull was the simplest method, it just takes time and fiddling....

post-891-0-95244400-1469501061_thumb.jpg

Once the lined had been figured out, household painters tape helped me keep the lines straight at these transition points (I go through a lot of tape)

post-891-0-49615300-1469501092_thumb.jpg

From above (the view as I work), the lines of the plates does appear a little erratic...

post-891-0-50568000-1469501111_thumb.jpg

...however, the appearance from normal angles is much more acceptable

post-891-0-20225200-1469501154_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-48547000-1469501223_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-64074300-1469501239_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: