HMS Jason by Beef Wellington - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Artois-class frigate modified from HMS Diana 1794

Magnificent coppering, Jason.

Using Amati copperplates instead of the copperplates supplied in the box is just one fine example of the following reasoning :

"...If only I knew this before... I would have implemented this the same way"

The pics are obvious : replacing the copperplates was the right thing to do and money well spent.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Jason,

Lovely job on the coppering. One question, though, don't you have those plates upside down ? It seems t me your last (upper) row will not have any nails at the top ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very nice clean work on the coppering. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Cheers Christian, Scott, Jim and the likes..

Carl - you've hit on the conundrum that I posed back in post #264 :-)  To represent the plates being applied from the stern and bottom up, its necessary to have the nail lines on the bottom and aft side to simulate the overlap.  Once that's done, the die is cast as it means that there will not be nailing on the upper edge next to the waterline (only potentially an issue on the topmost plates).  However, all is not lost because the waterline batten was in practice applied/nailed over the copper plates so its not necessary to have the nails showing on the uppermost edge.  That's my justification anyhow, and I still need to simulate the nails on this batten...

Likely not much progress for a while as I'm off on holiday/vaction.  Location to be disclosed if I can, as I plan to visit the site of a rather famous naval death back in 1779.  If you would care to offer a guess, then please submit your answer on the back of some Amati 1:64 copper plates... :D

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Correct Jim, Kealakekua Bay on the big island of Hawaii.  I'm always a sucker for historical sights and locations. 

post-891-0-11312100-1469639579.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice work with the plating Jason, that will provide a nice run of plates across the hull with a great result.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as promised here are the pics from my visit to Kealakekua Bay on Hawai'i Island.  Not build-log related but sort of relevant.  Top photo is from the beach, interesting comparison to the contemporary print, more overgrown but thats to be expected.  The locals try to limit access to beach (its prime snorkelling water) but all that has done has resulted in a tour companies dropping people off by boat, hence the scores of people in the background.  Anyway, what has not really changed is the rugged nature of the rock which does come across in the print, even on a calm day it must have been quite challenging to keep boat alongside to pick up the shore party.  There are some ruins of Hawai'ian drystone walls amongst the trees which does support the 'village' in the print's background.

Bottom pic is me looking as happy as I could at the Cook monument, I took the 8 mile walk down which is only way to access by land on a brutal path of volcanic rock path in sweltering heat.  Monument is officially British soil, and is close to where he died.  There is another plaque (which I couldn't find) that also marks the spot which also states that 'nearby' Cook was killed.

Trip has moved on, I'm now on the Island of Kaui, which interestingly was the place where Cook first stepped ashore in the Sandwich/Hawai'ian Islands.  So will need to bookend this trip with a visit to that spot as well....

post-891-0-45742900-1470794842_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-94671700-1470794825_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice Jason. I can see why you didn't have your SNake close to hand for a pic.

Looks like an interesting spot.

My summer holiday haunt is where Cook and Banks tried to observe the transit of Mercury on their first voyage. I bore the kids to tears talking about it and pointing out where they would have anchored and filled the ship's casks.

Looks nice out there! Hope you're having fun

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

Think I've got a bit of catching up to do.  Firstly, heres the Captain Cook Monument in Waimea, no undercooked beef wellington shots in this one  :P .  Found the beach he landed at, nothing special but couldn't locate the plaque that allegedly marks the spot according to guide books.

post-891-0-32617000-1475166838_thumb.jpg

I have managed at least an interim milestone, the completion of the starboard copper...this task just goes on and on :o

Couple of items I've found to be helpful:

• Super Solvent - I've found this product to be highly effective at getting rid of any CA glue residue (at least the Admiralty Pro thick stuff).  Wiping over the surface of any potential smearing is usually enough
  • Some plates plates require very acute angles to be cut and when using scissors (which I find by far the easiest), the ends tend to curl and distort horribly.  I found that cutting these as part of a larger section this problem is eliminated, although care is needed still to separate them.

post-891-0-17816900-1475167004_thumb.jpg

And the results.  Some of the photos are before I cleaned to plates with copper cleaner, which I did to ensure that there was no CA residue anywhere.  These will need to be done again once all the plates are on as I can guarantee more finger prints.  Managed to do the copper plate pattern at the bow that seems to be prevalent on so many models and AOTS drafts, slight discrepancies in the plates will only become less noticeable as the copper ages and darkens.  Overall I'm very happy with the Amati plates, and slight plate misalignments that just seem to be inevitable when using CA glue are tolerable.  Not sure I could do it any better if I were to do it again, so I think that's the yardstick to meaure to.

At the bow, I plated the cutwater first and tried to shape the plates on the planking to match the required curve.  Its far from perfect but will do.  I think these areas are inherently limited given the thickness of the plates, I suspect using copper tape would allow a more scale appearance.

I drilled some small holes in the waterline batten to simulate nails and highlighted with pencil, these are not to scale but felt it gives it a little bit more functional relevance.

post-891-0-79796000-1475167013_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-68473700-1475167025_thumb.jpgpost-891-0-58332600-1475167057_thumb.jpg

Et voila!  The pinkish hue of freshly cleaned copper reminded me on the AOTS Diana picture, I was very pleased with the lines that appear once the waterline is apparent. Obviously next step is to continue with the other side.... 

post-891-0-20182200-1475167044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Holy cow, that looks amazing Jason.  It almost looks like it was drawn on the computer or something the lines look so perfect.  I'll send you my Pegasus to copper if you don't mind...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Beautiful clean and crisp work BW.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks B.E., Mike, Bob, Joe, Pat, Wayne, Jim and the likes for all the support.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Jason,

That is some of the cleanest work I have ever seen.  Really a top notch job.

Tom

Jason, Exellence in execution. Your penchant for craftsmanship is showing, your passion to grow and excel is obvious in the effort and results that you obtain. Thank you for demonstrating what is possible when desire, creativity and talent are combined. I am so ready to pull the trigger on this kit - I have visions of building her using ChrisLBren's Boxwood,Black and Pear technique that he used on his Confederacy. I think it would be a great alternative to paint and copper, although your rendition is among the finest I have seen...... That model on the AOTS cover has nothing on you so far bro......

Lou