Beavers Prize 1777 by Mike Y - 1:48 - POF - Hahn style

You hadn't one ... :huh:                                                                                                                         ;) 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Mike,

The progress may be slow but what you do is quality workmanship.  At least you can find a few hours a week to work on Oliver Cromwell.  I'm so damn busy I can't even do that.  Fall is just around the bend and model building, at least for me, picks up.  Hopefully you too will find more time to work on your model.

Tom

Thanks for the nice words and likes! That really helps to find more modelling time :)

Finally got the micro-drill working, so now the clamp installation goes faster.

After marking the treenail locations with the pencil, they are accentuated with the scriber (I know, bad use for the scriber):

post-5430-0-71775000-1472503123_thumb.jpg

That is required to avoid the drill wobble, it is not very balanced (chinese crap):

post-5430-0-85956100-1472503124_thumb.jpg

And then install the boxwood treenails - these ones are not just for looks, they are injected at least few millimiters into the frames and glued, hope that will make a strong bond between frames and deck clamps, to avoid the hull cracking and twisting during the dry winter months. 

post-5430-0-34274500-1472503122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Y

I'm playing catch up, Mike.  She's looking fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Carl, yes, even this "drill" is better than manual drilling. It is just a pity that there is nothing in the market for a proper quality micro drills. All drills I found while googling were similar hand-made "cheap motor + chuck + few wires" construction. I love working with good tools, this one is not pleasure to work with, but it gets the job done.

Many thanks to Gaetan, now my livingroom corner looks even more like a shipyard, with the Arsenal de Toulon drawing on a wall ;)

post-5430-0-87746700-1472562740_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised that I screwed up the transom a bit.

For some reason I thought that inner planking and deck clamps in that area fully cover the transom wings. Also, I was expecting some sort of stemson, but at the stern. I thought that inner planking will terminate there.

Well, I was wrong. TFFM and other build logs indicate that transom wings are just left open, and inner planking terminates on the rear-most cant frame.

Like here, on Remco's Kingfisher:

post-5430-0-86781700-1473280067_thumb.jpg

Or on Albert's Naiad:

post-5430-0-11076400-1473280378.jpg

And here is what I have. Nevermind the glue spots on the clamps, they are not sanded or scraped yet, but you can see that they expect to terminate on some big timber in the middle of the transom (which, apparenly, does not exist), and the wings are ugly on the right side, because I was going to hide them under planking. Whoops! :)

post-5430-0-49895600-1473276232_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-84576300-1473276233_thumb.jpg

Will try to reduce the impact of the screw-up by shaping the transom wings carefully, so they will look nicer. Shaping them in such confined space is a challenge, but seems like I have no choice.

Luckily, that area would be barely visible under multiple layers of deck framing, but it is not an excuse to leave it in such a bad shape! :)

Edited by Mike Y

Human error follows us where ever we go Mike ... it sticks like glue, and we see it in our endeavours ... at least you get the opportunity to correct it

You know the adagium:

Assumption is the mother of all f... ups

Well I've had my share in programming ... and in modelling too

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

As a software engineer myself, I know this saying, it is too true and people hit assumption-based problems too frequently... :)

One more timely lesson learnt.

Thank you Mike.

Now I just have to remember!

(That is the hard part)

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Shaping the clamp ends in situ was a bit tricky..

post-5430-0-55410900-1473605886_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-43961600-1473605887_thumb.jpg

Transom wings were shaped with sandpaper and scrapers and finished with xacto blade:

post-5430-0-45936600-1473605888_thumb.jpg

Result:

post-5430-0-69051400-1473605889_thumb.jpg

It is still clear that transom wings are made out of two pieces, and the gap between the pieces is still visible, but it is kind of better than it was. Sigh... Will do better transom on the next model!

Luckily it looks good from the outside, and the inner part of the transom would be barely visible under three layers of deck framing ;)

Thanks John!

Finishing the planks with some sandpaper, mini scrapers and xacto blades. The mini scrapers were surprisingly useful!

Covered the frames with the masking tape to avoid scratching them accidentally:

post-5430-0-11278700-1473705801_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-28787800-1473705802_thumb.jpg

Final result, with tung oil applied.

post-5430-0-89840800-1473705475_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-45833900-1473705477_thumb.jpg

The exposed side of the hull would be left as is (with deck framing, of course), things like breasthook, fore and mizen mast steps, etc - would be cut in half with one side omitted. That is to avoid obstructing the view through the hull.

If something will need to be glued to the finished side - will use treenails and/or monofilament. Or epoxy.

But hope it will not happen :)

They are not perfectly symmetrical where the bending is significant (+/- 1mm, not more), but this would not be visible if I manage to make nice and even deck framing, perfectly aligned in all projections (because the deck beams are higher than deck clamps, recessed by roughly 1 inch). How hard could it be, right? :)

HI Mike,

I love this build and your workmanship is absolutely first rate!!

Can I ask where you found those small scrapers from a few posts back. I've been looking for some and have not had any luck. Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi John,

Thanks!

The scrapers are amazing, I am using them very often now. They are removing much more material than xacto blades, and they can get into any small places because of the small size. The edge do not have any dents. 

Bought them here: http://www.axminster.co.uk/lynx-mini-cabinet-scraper-set-504698

I also discovered them on MSW in somebody's build log, but forgot who that was...

Quick googling shows that you can buy them in US, for example, here: 

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/158977/lynx-mini-scraper-set-4pc.aspx

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lynx-Mini-Scraper-Set/T26658?utm_campaign=zPage

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/158977/Lynx-Mini-Scraper-Set-4pc.aspx

etc etc 

Some "build snapshot" photos. Tung oil finish is especially beautiful under direct sunlight. It is such a pity that it is a not a good idea to display the model in the sunny place :( Damn physics!

post-5430-0-57390900-1474138348_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-01794000-1474138350_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-89657400-1474138351_thumb.jpg

Bill, I do not think this term is clearly defined, but it is typically equally spaced frames with no shifts.

Also, he popularised the jig that helps to build the hull upside-down, as you see in the beginning of the log. 

Bill,

"Hahn style" involves a lot and the modeler can go with as much or as little as they wish.  As Mike pointed out, there's stylized framing, the jig for working upside down (and also right side for the interior).  There's also minimal if any carlings used during decking process.  No knees, etc.  Simplified keel, stem, and stern deadwood.  I'm thinking there's a bit more but I'm in the middle of a "senior moment" on those points.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark has described the style well. Hahn also used ebony (yech!) for his false keel and wales. This is not the best specie of wood for the job for a variety of reasons (discussed elsewhere), but avoids painting or staining.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv