Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale - POF

super work Michael.......your skills are amazing.   keep to your original intent with this model.....with the mechanics you've put into this boat,  it would be sad to not see it in action.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael, thanks for the video - it is great to "see" you and the boat, properly at last!

If I may make a couple of suggestions?

Do not worry about over-running end-stops on powerful winches. I'm using a linear winch for my jib sheets on Racundra, powered by a geared-down 12V motor running off the output of an ESC. Certainly there's a pile more pull in it than I'll ever need: but microswitches at the "buffers" and a pair of cunningly wired diodes ensure that I can't ever drive the winch too far. At either limit you can only drive it back into range. Something like this would make certain that you couldn't sheet in too tightly (possibly the most damaging risk in your mainsheet requirements).

Secondly - I will never use the above solution again! The reason is, I've recently been playing with microprocessors and stepper motors, and I am now utterly certain that the best way to handle sheets on an R/C sailing vessel is to turn it into "an exercise for the programmer".

Many microprocessors (like the £35 Arduino that I'm using, and available just about anywhere) come with built-in abilities to read the signals normally sent to servos: that is, you can convert "stick position" into a variable. And with a few lines of code, you can convert that variable into a step-count used by any stepper motor driver. During conversion, you can adjust rates and proportions: create, for example, non-"linear" proportions. So your winch could tighten more slowly when nearly sheeted, loosen differently when sheeting out - really, just about anything you want.

I think, if there's interest, this might deserve a thread of its own - not least because it is (I'm increasingly convinced) the best way to handle the bracing of yards in square sail model ships.

Andy

Michael there was talk a while ago about doing a Turks head not on the tiller.  There's jigs for Turks head knots that make it simple.  An article was put out recently in the Ship in Bottle Association of America that showed how to build a jog and use it.  I'll see if I can't PM it to you.  An example of the jig can be found in my German Cutter build linked in my signature.  

I'll add my "Bravo Zulu" to this crowd. Nice work! It also occurs to me as I've read your log, that you must have an inexhaustible inventory of brass and wood, not to mention just the right tool for each job. I'm envious!

Tom

Tom, I think we're all envious.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

John, thanks.

Joe thanks for checking in I will do my best.

Drazen, thanks for your comment, i am wondering about how to deal with the sailing. Sometimes I wish we had a local pond and not a big lake.

Denis I definitely plan to get her in the water. I hope to pull it off this summer.

Bob thanks again,

It also occurs to me as I've read your log, that you must have an inexhaustible inventory of brass and wood

Tom I wish, the thing is that I am a bit of a pack rat and over the last 45 years I have been collecting material,  wood metal plastic leather wire and so on, A funny story is this one: for one of the projects  built for a client when I was building models and exhibits before retiring, needed some fine spring wire for a model rocket that was to launch and rise 35 feet the rocket was in a science centre and the cabinet looked like a payload for the shuttle, the wire I needed was two lengths about 40 feet of some wire about the same thickness as the smallest string in a guitar. I went to a local manufacturer of springs in Edmonton and told them what I wanted the chap at the desk went out to the back and took longer that I thought it would take to come back with 40 feet of fine wire. after about 20 minutes he came back out with a coil of wire that was about 15 inches in diameter that looked like it had a couple of miles of this stuff, he was clearly frustrated and told me that he couldn't spend any more time trying to find the end, and I could purchase the lot for 20 dollars. I agreed and walked out with a couple of miles of very fine wire. and I have enough wire to last the next three lifetimes for what I need it for.

I guess as I purchased materials for projects over the years the left overs would be saved instead of being tossed because I knew that down the road I would be able to use them.

The same goes for tools over a long time doing a great variety of different models and exhibit projects if a specific tool was needed I would build it into the price. I would rather make something than buy it. 

Sometimes there are also minimums that one has to purchase when doing this stuff commercially, this is the case with most of the brass that I have that is odd sized and not the usual hobby type sizes.

And if a tool breaks then I save the parts and regrind them into another.

The curse is I never want to move again...ever.

The reason is, I've recently been playing with microprocessors and stepper motors, and I am now utterly certain that the best way to handle sheets on an R/C sailing vessel is to turn it into "an exercise for the programmer".

Andy thanks for stopping by your thoughts about the control are interesting, that said my knowledge about electronics and microprocessors would fit on the head of a pin. I'm of the old flashlight battery and bulb school of electronics.

And if I thought I could get away with it I would train a couple of mice to handle the sheets, Joking aside I am hoping to keep this as simple as the old pond yachts (I know that this is really not possible given what I have already done) the sailing is important but only so far as I will know that it will sail, for me the design and building of the next boat will take over as soon as this one is finished. For me the process is what drives my energy not the finished product so much. As I finish each piece the next task or item becomes the next challenge to solve, keeping track of all the parts would be overwhelming otherwise.  I'm not sure that this is making sense but it is what it is.

Daniel I look forward to seeing your jig. because I do want to add one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you all for the likes today.

This afternoon I finished the shoe. I don't know what else to call it.

A small slab of apple was set up in the mill and the broken reground 5/8 endmill was used like a fly-cutter to bore the 5/8 hole.

post-202-0-05081200-1395984618_thumb.jpg

Next the basic shape was fretted out with the jewelers saw

post-202-0-01425600-1395984619_thumb.jpg

The pieces from one side were then stuck back on with some double sided tape so that the other profile could be cut.

post-202-0-64692500-1395984620_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-25945400-1395984622_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-62619300-1395984623_thumb.jpg

After a lot of filing and sanding then steel wool the shape is almost finished

post-202-0-74322900-1395984676_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-42017000-1395984616_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow a few hold down screws. then back to the cockpit cap rail.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I have to remind myself that this isn't full-size.  Excellent work on that "shoe".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm with the "I have to remind myself it isn't full size" brigade. I aspire to this level of build but fear I just don't have the patience.

Steve

Mark, Steve thanks. and for the likes

I just finished replacing the broken picture links from the December 2013 posts that were lost during the recent server hiccup. so all should be back now if there are still any that anyone finds missing let me know.

Michael

Michael,

the wooden tiller shapes in combination with the brass metal work Looks great, just like all the other Details you are providing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice work on the "shoe",  and yes you need to get back to the cockpit cap rail, I miss seeing it done.

Bob 

Nils, Bob, John, thanks for stopping by and your thoughts. Thanks for the likes.

Today I took a little time out from computer transfer to work on the cockpit cap rail.

post-202-0-22920800-1396243090_thumb.jpg

The joints are small and a bit fiddly.

post-202-0-14438700-1396243091_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-04477000-1396243092_thumb.jpg

I have the corners all made now and the stern pieces glued together

Before finalizing I will add some dowel pins to locate the rails to the vertical boards.

post-202-0-33214200-1396243093_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49787600-1396243094_thumb.jpg

hopefully I can finish the shaping tomorrow.

Michael

Great work again Michael, this build log could more accurately be described as a masterclass!!

Out of interest, what sort of glue do you use on those capping pieces?  Also, thinking ahead with the r/c in mind, do you have any thoughts about how you might link the tiller or rudder to a servo? To preserve the integrity of the 'scale look' I'm thinking of tiller lines taken to each side of the cockpit and then below deck through small diameter copper of brass tube from where it could be routed through to the servo. I mention this now as it may be possible to hide the tubing in the cockpit coaming, something that may be easier to do before the capping rail is permanently fitted.

Looking forward to the next instalment...

Regards,

Row 

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

I mention this now as it may be possible to hide the tubing in the cockpit coaming, something that may be easier to do before the capping rail is permanently fitted.

Row I am already ahead of you there.

Before the crash of MSW 1.0 I had been documenting the build from the keel up and after I did not rebuild the log but just picked up where I had got too. I do have however hundreds of photographs of the entire build from the very begining.

this picture shows the curved brass tube to carry the steering wire to the tiller.

post-202-0-14073300-1396284243_thumb.jpg

the first decking was white pine and the wires were set before the first planking was finished

post-202-0-15472700-1396284244_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-53535200-1396284245_thumb.jpg

the wire was to have a stop fixed so that it would move back and forth tracking beneath the cockpit

post-202-0-77526500-1396284246_thumb.jpg

eventually I covered the first layer of planking with a layer of clear fir because I did not like the way the first layer looked plus there was the issue of the cover board and learning about the construction of the full sized practice as I was moving along.

post-202-0-92943300-1396284247_thumb.jpg

after the fir was scraped and given a rub down with steel wool the steel exit holes are virtually invisible but they are still there as marked by the red circle in this picture.

post-202-0-23325900-1396284242_thumb.jpg

Now this is a possibility that I am considering very seriously, and that is to not put any kind of radio in her at all but to sail it with the rigging set and cleated as if she was a classic pond yacht. the reason being, that the build is more important than the sailing of this model, My sailing will happen in Maria. the boat is set so that if I wanted to add the radio and other gear later I could do it.

I would rather spend my time though building the next boat than sailing a model, as long as I know it will sail that is all that matters at this point, so it will get to the water and it will be documented for sure.

And to answer you question about glue , I am using lepages carpenters glue and the cap will be varnished or oiled when finished.

michael

Also, thinking ahead with the r/c in mind, do you have any thoughts about how you might link the tiller or rudder to a servo? To preserve the integrity of the 'scale look' I'm thinking of tiller lines taken to each side of the cockpit and then below deck through small diameter copper of brass tube from where it could be routed through to the servo. I mention this now as it may be possible to hide the tubing in the cockpit coaming, something that may be easier to do before the capping rail is permanently fitted.

Looking forward to the next instalment...

Regards,

Row 

I always attached the rudder controls to the rudder shaft below deck so nothing showed above deck.

Bob

I always attached the rudder controls to the rudder shaft below deck so nothing showed above deck.

I did see that not doing this at the time was due to a complete lack of knowledge in these matters, and that the way I approached it was more complicated than it needed to be.

Ah... just need to train some little people. Gulliver probably thought the same thing!

Michael

Today I finished off the cap rail and gave it a coat of Tung oil

the first picture shows the continuation of the joints at the corners.

post-202-0-15056000-1396329064_thumb.jpg

I used the old pencil lines trick to line things up

post-202-0-16853100-1396329065_thumb.jpg

All the pieces glued and doweled.

post-202-0-45328700-1396329066_thumb.jpg

Placed back on the boat

post-202-0-34132300-1396329068_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-43077700-1396329069_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-63381100-1396329070_thumb.jpg

tomorrow I will get back to the cabin hatch boards.

Michael

Lovely work Michael. No radio eh? Brave man, that!

I would never have the intestinal fortitude to do that.

Steve

She just keeps getting better.

Bob

Hi Michael I am in the process of building based on the little bit of nostalgia below, the Hull is just about done now and will post you in time to come with a few pitures, what a commendable job you are doing, enjoy following your progress.

Best regards

Owen

YACHT ACTIVE:-  BRISTOL CHANNEL PILOT CUTTER

that my father,  Jack Ball one of 5 lived on with their parents.

She was built in 1883 by W.G.Luke & Co. on the Hamble and for the first 20 or so years she was owned by a Southampton pilot.

In 1910 she was bought by a Cardiff pilot-James Duggan.

She was sold to the Cardiff pilot company in 1913 for £325 and remained with the company-by 1915 being used as a lodging house for the pilots.

In 1919 she was sold to Samuel Starling Ball of 68 Kimberley Road Cardiff.

Who was my grandfather.  

He sold her in 1923 to a Mr Fenwick of Bourne in Lincolnshire.

She then had various owners in the 1920s and 1930s

including a Col. Bramhall of Earls Court London and a Viscount Fitzharris

of Basingstoke. After the Second World War she passed through various owners the last known being Henry R. Amis of Ealing London in 1956.

Her dimensions were (in feet) 54 length, 13.2 beam, draught 8. I believe

Her first engine was installed in 1923 so when she was in our family’s

Ownership she probably had no engine-just as when she was a working pilot cutter.

I have a silver trophy for ‘sailing round the Island’- I think this was a

race in the Bristol Channel and refers –possibly- to sailing around Lundy?

Hope that this is of some interest.

Owen Ball

The inscription on the trophy:-

CARDIFF YACHT CLUB REGATTA

SEPT 10th 1921

FIRST PRIZE PRESENTED BY THE CLUB

WON BY

YACHT ACTIVE

OWNER MR SAM BALL

looking sweet Michael  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you everyone for the very kind remarks. and thank you to all of you who added the likes.

Owen Welcome and I look forward to some pictures of your build, Do you have any pictures of your grandfathers boat?

This evening I started to frame up the companionway and decided to add doors instead of hatch boards.

The stops have been glued inplace, tomorrow i will notch out for the hinges and make them as well.

also while looking at the compass I wondered about the location and then it came to me in a flash.... a little bit of cutting both wood and metal and this is the configuration, I am much happier with the location, it just did not look right sitting on the deck.

post-202-0-30037500-1396416907_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-69878800-1396416908_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-14466300-1396416910_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-44595700-1396416911_thumb.jpg

The block of mahogany is just sitting there at the moment, I am thinking that a couple of curved doors so that there is some access under the binnacle it seems logical, I will think on it while I make the companionway doors.

Michael